Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
After the resurrection, was Jesus' body changed somehow as He could appear in locked rooms (Luke 24:36)?

Before His ascension it seems that He had flesh and bones. Was His body changed again before He went to Heaven, because flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God?

(Luke 24:39 "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."

1 Cor. 15:50 Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.)

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the important point is that Jesus DID have a real body, His own physical body, resurrected and made alive.

And we too will all be resurrected before the final judgement.

It does seem His Body was different somehow, since he could suddenly appear in a locked room, and he could speak with His disciples and not be recognized.

We don't really know what our resurrected bodies will be like, exactly. But I think we can expect them to have flesh and bones, yes, because Christ does.

That does not mean we cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. For one thing, our bodies will be changed, as you noted, having put on incorruption.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After the resurrection, was Jesus' body changed somehow as He could appear in locked rooms (Luke 24:36)?
This did not happen because Jesus had a new body. It happened because he was God. Through the Holy Spirit, Philip teleported just fine with his fallen body (Acts 8:39-40).
1 Cor. 15:50 Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.)
I believe Paul was saying that the sinless cannot be derived from the sinful. We have to changed, rather than enhanced. Merely being enhanced means that the sinful is still in there somewhere.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟895,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Before His ascension it seems that He had flesh and bones. Was His body changed again before He went to Heaven, because flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God?

(Luke 24:39 "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."

Jesus body is now the glorified - resurrected - immortal body of 2Cor 5 and 1 Cor 15. In Matthew 17 - Moses and Elijah appear in glorified form with Christ who also appears in glorified form.

Real people, real bodies -- but much improved over what we have today.

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

To rule out this, that is if you were thinking about it....

Jesus didn't revert to being a spirit at his ascension.

We have aapostle John saying....

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. (1 John 3:2)

John says that he doesn't know what it will be like in terms of experience within the resurrection body. However he does say that when they are raised in their incorruptible spirit bodies, that they will be like Jesus and see him as he is in his glorified spirit body, as they originally saw him before his ascension.

If you are going to quote 1 Corinthians 15:50, you need to read all the chapter in context like so......

42So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: 43It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: 44It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 46Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 47The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. 48As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. 49And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. (1 Corinthians 15:42-49)

The contrast between the image of the earthly and the image of the heavenly is not talking about a spiritual rebirth, like born again. It is talking about image of the earthly, then physical death, then resurrection to bear the image of the heavenly. An image is not a spiritual birth, but one that is transitional from this temporal life, to the eternal life that cannot consciously die. In a spiritual rebirth scenario the person can consciously die once the earthly dirt body dies. The heavenly must accompany the continuation of the conscious being without cessation of being. This image is not a state of mind whilst a person still lives in their earthly dirt body, rather it is also a real and tangible image just like the earthly one, except this image does not experience death and the conscious being is a quickening spirit that has no end.

So you have a comparison between the stark contrast between an earthy dirt body and a heavenly spirit body. Paul is pointing out that it is a different body, one that dwells in the heavenly realm. So it is a real and tangible tent that is required to house the being in a different realm, so that they can experience Christ's Father's house of many rooms/dimensions.

Jesus also highlighted the real and tangible experiential existence of a post resurrection form that was contrastly different to the earthly dirt body.

At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. (Matthew 22:30)

Marrying/mating is a physical experience of the earthly dirt body. The heavenly body has a totally different experience, that is consciously realised by the tent that is given to experience the many rooms/dimensions of Christ's Father's house. In this case the image of the heavenly is not a spiritual rebirth in one's mind, as many Full Preterist think it to be, because they do marry and have children and so Jesus is not talking about a spiritual change in one's mindset rather Jesus is talking of the inability in function of those who are raised to mate and to have children, so it has to be a totally different tent, that is spirit body that will be an interface to experience the heavenly.

Now let us address the verse you quoted as follows.....

50I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed (1 Corinthians 15:50-51)

Paul points to the teaching of Jesus that the dirt body that has blood running in its veins for nutrients cannot inherit and neither experience the Kingdom of Heaven. We immediately knock out the Full Preterist LIE right here, by the fact that the Kingdom of Heaven cannot be experienced whilst a witness still remains alive in the earthly dirt body, which 1 John 3:2 affirms and Hebrews 9:15-17 ratifies.....

they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 16For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 17For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:50-51 destroys the Preterist LIE of a spiritual resurrection and eternal inheritance in the here and now within the earthly dirt body, because he speaks of a heavenly Kingdom experience within the context of the resurrection as something that requires a change to a spirit body like the Lord's glorified body in order to be able to experience what 1 John 3:2 declares as a post earthly body death leading to a resurrection body that allows the servant to not only experience what it is like, but to also be able to be reunited with the glorified Lord and see him as he is in his gloried body.

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. (1 John 3:2)

I deliberately emphasised the word see in red, because it is the same word used in the Greek when Jesus said.....

Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." (Luke 24:39)

What is the word in the Greek mean.....

See
3708 horaó: to see, perceive, attend to

You see
2334 theóreó: to look at, gaze

1 John 3:2 uses the word horaó to emphasize the literal ability to see from one's sensory input and then to perceive and then to attend to or to act upon, through a real and tangible physical experience.

It is documented that we percieve with our conscious minds after we recieve electrical inputs from our eyes that gaze on objects that are real and tangible, then once sight and perception of an inanimate object is verified, then our conscious attends to it through very real and tangible experiential connection.

Take for example love between two married people in action, the glance of lover to another sends a perception to their mind of how they feel and then based on these human actions then they act upon (attend) to them through experiences that are characterised as very real and not some fictitious dream state that one conjures up in their own mind. What is missing from the instant that one conjures up something in their own mind, is an absence of interactive experience between two beings.

Just listen to what Jesus said when he used the word see (horaó)....

Touch and see
together in ruling out any apparition. Jesus also commands them to interact with them by asking them "do you have anything to eat?"

Notice Jesus didn't need food for nutrition, as he showed off his glorified resurrection body and clearly portrayed it to be a real and tangible body that he described as flesh and bone.

Now note also that something was missing from this body. The blood that runs in an earthly body's veins was missing and this means that the flesh and bones of Jesus are not like the flesh and bones of an earthly body, as many misconceive it to be, rather his flesh and bones are terms similar to the vocabulary that was understood by those who saw him, yet they are completely diffferent to human ones that have marrow and what is in marrow? Blood.

So the terms Jesus used as flesh and bones are not human flesh and bones, but are only terms that would be understood by those who saw him, as to imply that his body is very real and not an apparition as was originally thought of by the witnesses who saw him. So the question as to what flesh and bones can appear anywhere at will, is connected to the term quickening spirit that Paul used (1 Corinthians 15:45) to describe a being who is lord from heaven. Paul's flesh and bone reference in 1 Corinthians 15:50 are not to be confused with the flesh and bones terms that Jesus used, because they are not the same.

I hope that th above is helpful to all.

Upvote 0