✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our Lord Jesus Christ
1. Learned the Text. (He had the entire Old Testament, the Tanakh memorized.)
2. Lived the Text. He was obedient to the entire Old Testament
3.Taught the Text (He always quoted the Old Testament, the Book of Deuteronomy the most, then the Book of Isaiah)
4. Prayed the Text. See His Prayers.
5. He Died the Text, (Compare Jesus' words with Psalm 22)
To sum it up. He was the Text. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1, this is what God says)
Psalm 119:97,98: "O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day..Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, For they are ever mine."
Deut. 32:46,47 "Take to your heart all the Words with which I am warning you today, which you shall command your sons to observe carefully, even all the words of this Law. For It is not an idle word for you; indeed It is your life."
These two Passages are the very Words of God.
A few comments. Your Law, that refers to the Torah, or Pentateuch, the first 5 Books of Moses. The word Torah means Instruction. Your heart refers to your thoughts. So, Deuteronomy is telling the Israelites and us too to take in our thoughts all of God's Word!!!
This is why we only sing songs from the Bible. They are the very Words of God. God uses His Word to change lives. We actually sing both of those passages above.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our Lord Jesus Christ
3.Taught the Text (He always quoted the Old Testament, the Book of Deuteronomy the most, then the Book of Isaiah)
To sum it up. He was the Text. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1, this is what God says)
Psalm 119:97,98: "O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day..Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, For they are ever mine."
Deut. 32:46,47 "Take to your heart all the Words with which I am warning you today, which you shall command your sons to observe carefully, even all the words of this Law. For It is not an idle word for you; indeed It is your life."
A few comments. Your Law, that refers to the Torah, or Pentateuch, the first 5 Books of Moses. The word Torah means Instruction. Your heart refers to your thoughts. So, Deuteronomy is telling the Israelites and us too to take in our thoughts all of God's Word!!!
This is why we only sing songs from the Bible. They are the very Words of God. God uses His Word to change lives. We actually sing both of those passages above.

This is a personal study I did a while back.

The Symbiotic Relationship Between
The Living Word, & the Communicated Word:

1. Christ is good (John 10:11, John 10:14), and the word is good (1 Kings 2:42).

2. Christ is the truth (John 14:6), and the word is the truth (John 17:17).

3. Christ is called Faithful and True (Revelation 19:11), and the word is called faithful and true (Revelation 22:6).

4. Christ is pure (1 John 3:3), and the word is pure (Proverbs 30:5).

5. Christ is incorruptible (Acts of the Apostles 2:27), and the word is incorruptible (1 Peter 1:23).

6. Christ abides forever (John 12:34), and the word abides forever (1 Peter 1:23).

7. Christ’s name: “Jesus” is above all names (Which would include God’s name) (Philippians 2:9-10), and the word is above God’s name (Psalms 138:2).

8. Christ has flaming eyes of fire (Revelation 19:12), and the Word is like a fire (Jeremiah 23:29).

9. Christ can burn things like a fire (Matthew 3:12), and the word can burn things like a fire (Luke 24:32).

10. Christ can be eaten (John 6:57), and the word can be eaten (Jeremiah 15:16).

11. Christ is like the discovery of treasure (Matthew 13:44-46, cf. 2 Corinthians 4:7-10), and the word is like the discovery of treasure (Psalms 119:162).

12. Christ is the light (John 8:12), and the word is light (Psalms 119:105).

13. Christ is life (John 14:6, 1 John 5:12), and the word is life (John 6:63).

14. Christ is the living bread (John 6:51), and the word is the living bread (Matthew 4:4).

15. Christ is eternal life (Romans 6:23, 1 Timothy 6:16, 1 John 5:20) and the word is eternal life (John 6:68) (cf. Matthew 24:35, John 6:63).

16. Christ quickens (makes alive) (John 5:21), and the word quickens (makes alive) (Psalms 119:50).

17. It is by Christ which makes the gospel possible (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), and it is by the word which makes the gospel possible (1 Peter 1:25).

18. Christ is near to men (Acts of the Apostles 17:27) (Revelation 3:20) (Psalms 145:18), and the word is near to men (Romans 10:8).

19. Christ discerns the heart (Matthew 9:4, Luke 9:47), and the word discerns the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

20. Christ can get men through a storm (Mark 4:35-41), and the word can get men through a storm (Matthew 7:24-25).

21. Christ sanctifies (John 17:19), and the word sanctifies (John 17:17).

22. A person can stumble over Christ (Romans 9:33, 1 Peter 2:5-8), and a person can stumble over the word (1 Peter 2:8).

23. Christ will judge men (John 5:22), and the word will judge men (John 12:48).

24. Christ’s bones were never broken (John 19:36 cf. Psalms 34:20), and the word is never broken (John 10:35).

25. Believers are told to seek after Christ (Matthew 28:5, Mark 16:6), and believers are told to seek after the word (Isaiah 34:16).

26. Christ is our hope (1 Thessalonians 1:3, Colossians 1:27, 1 Timothy 1:1), and the word is our hope (Psalms 130:5).

27. Believers are to have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16), and believers are to meditate (use their mind) upon the word (Psalms 119:148, 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV).

28. Christ is to be heard and obeyed (Matthew 7:24), and the word is to be heard and obeyed (James 1:22).

29. The love of God is within Christ (Romans 8:39), and keeping the word places the love of God within us (1 John 2:5) (Also see John 14:23).

30. Christ is the way to the living waters, which is the Holy Spirit (John 7:37-39), and the washing of the water of the word (Ephesians 5:25-27) (which is obedience to God) is the way to having the Spirit (Acts of the Apostles 5:32).

31. Christ is like the foundation that is a part of a house (1 Corinthians 3:9, 1 Corinthians 3:11), and He is like a rock (1 Corinthians 10:4), and the obeying the word is like a house built upon the rock (Matthew 7:24).

32. Believers are to follow after the steps of Christ (1 Peter 2:21), and believers are to order their steps in the word (Psalms 119:133).

33. Christ breathed the Spirit upon his faithful chosen (John 20:22), and the word is “inspired by God” (i.e. God breathed) for the benefit of his faithful chosen (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

34. Christ is the way to having the fruits of righteousness (Philippians 1:11), and the word is the way to being instructed in righteousness so to be perfect unto all good works (fruits) (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

35. Christ can abide in us (John 15:4-7) (Ephesians 3:17) (Philippians 4:13), and the word can abide in us (John 15:7, Psalms 119:11).

36. Christ dwells in our hearts (Ephesians 3:17), and the word dwells in our hearts (Colossians 3:16).

37. Believers can be hidden in Christ (Colossians 3:3), and the word can be hidden in believers (Psalms 119:11).

38. Christ is always with us (Matthew 28:20), and the word is always with us (Psalms 119:98).

39. Christ can make our joy full (John 15:11), and the word can make our joy full (1 John 1:4).

40. Believers’ hearts rejoice with Christ (John 16:22), and believers’ hearts rejoice with the word (Jeremiah 15:16).
..41. Christ is called a seed (Galatians 3:16), and the word is called a seed (1 Peter 1:23, Luke 8:11) (Note: See my post below here for further details).

The communicated word of God that we have today is the Bible.

“So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11).​

Jesus (the Living Word) was sent by the commandment (mouth) of the Father. Jesus said and did everything the Father told Him to do (John 12:49) (John 14:31).

What is interesting is that the Living Word accomplished that which the Father commanded Him to do and to prosper (accomplish) that thing He sent to do (i.e. Jesus suffered on the cross, and said, “It is finished” and died for man’s sins). Jesus was risen three days later, and ascended to the Father. God’s Word (the living Word) did not return void by whom the Father sent.

The communicated Word can also be sent out and not return void, as well. For many have believed and have stayed faithful to what God’s Word says.

In the creation: The Word made flesh (John 1:1, John 1:14) (i.e. Christ) created everything. In the beginning God spoke words to bring forth the creation in six days (Genesis 1:1-31).

So in the beginning was the Living Word, and the communicated Word.

In the end of this sinful world: Christ will return (Revelation 19:11-21) and a sharp sword will proceed from His mouth. This sword could be the “sword of the Spirit,” (Which is the Word of God) or it could be symbolic of such (Ephesians 6:17).

So in the end there will be the Living Word, and the communicated Word.

For at Christ’s return: His name is called The “Word of God.” (Revelation 19:13) (Living Word).

On His thigh, and vesture is a name written (words) “KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.” (Communicated Word).

Jesus was beaten to a pulp and crucified on a tree.

The Word we have today (the Bible) is a result of pulp made from a tree.

Jesus was the Word made flesh (covered in skin).

The Word we have today (the Bible) is popular to be available covered in skin (leather).

Words on the page hang on this tree (paper) (the Bible),
just like the Living Word hung on a tree (the cross).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our Lord Jesus Christ

Now, is Jesus literally actual words on a page? Well, I don’t think so. God is spirit (John 4:24). Jesus has flesh and bones and blood (Luke 24:39) (Hebrews 7:25) (Ephesians 1:7). Jesus is God incarnate or the Word made flesh (John 1:1-2, John 1:14), and He is the second person of the Trinity (1 John 5:7 KJB). But is there is symbiotic relationship between the Living Word (Jesus) and the Communicated Word (i.e. The Holy Bible)? Yes. That is because the Scriptures express the mind of God or His thoughts. Jesus always aligned His thoughts with that of the Father. For Jesus said in the Garden, “Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” (Luke 22:42).

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did Yeshua/Jesus "became" something He already was? Is it not written "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God". :) saying He learned, memorized is not written. Everything that was made was made by Him. He knew what He already said.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I think "Logos' is so much more than text.

Mysticism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I don’t think the term Mysticism and Christianity go together.

Gotquestions has a pretty descent article (not perfect) but good write up addressing this topic.

What is Christian mysticism? | GotQuestions.org
(Note: I do not agree with Gotquestions on everything they write; I am merely in agreement with the article they wrote here. It does not mean I endorse all of what they believe).

Also, Mysticism is attached with the New Age or the occult.
The origin of the word even basically says this.

full

Source:
mystic | Etymology, origin and meaning of mystic by etymonline

An idea of Christian Mysticism would be things like Masonry and or Christian Science by Mary Baker Eddy (Which is clearly wrong). Such religions preach another Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How did Yeshua/Jesus "became" something He already was? Is it not written "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God". :) saying He learned, memorized is not written. Everything that was made was made by Him. He knew what He already said.

Jesus is the Eternal Logos or Word (Second person of the Godhead or the Trinity) (John 1:1) (1 John 5:7 KJV). Jesus's Omniscience (i.e. to have all knowledge) was suppressed.

The following verses talks about the glory that Jesus once shared with God the Father before the world came into existence.

"And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was." (John 17:5).

"For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." (Habakkuk 2:14).

"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 4:6).​

Jesus was able to learn because His Omniscience was suppressed so as to be like a man.

"Although He was a Son [who had never been disobedient to the Father], He learned [active, special] obedience through what He suffered." (Hebrews 5:8) (AMP).​

Jesus was being made perfect in obedience (through suffering) as a man. He was a man in the sense that he had a flesh and blood body of a man and He was limited in knowledge because His Omniscience in being God was suppressed. So Jesus did not lose His Omniscience. He always had it, but He merely suppressed it.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Just in case you may not have understood me: I believe Jesus only suppressed His divine attribute of "having all knowledge" or His "Omniscience" (Which took place sometime before the world came into being). This is what I believe the "glory" that Jesus spoke of that He wished to share in again with the Father before the world existed in John 17:5. For Habakkuk 2:14 says, "For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." Also see 2 Corinthians 4:6.

Anyways, while I believe Jesus did works by the Father and the Holy Spirit, I also believe....

Jesus had power as God
(during His Earthly ministry):

#1. Jesus said He has power to raise the dead to life just as the Father had power to raise the dead (John 5:21).
#2. Hebrews 1:3 talks about how Christ held all things together by the word of His power when He purged us of our sins.
#3. Jesus said, He would raise up this Temple (His body) three days later (John 2:19).
#4. Jesus had the power to forgive sins and give eternal life (Mark 2:7) (Luke 7:44-50) (John 14:6).
#5 Jesus had power to take away the sins of the entire world (John 1:29).
#6. Jesus Christ said wherever two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them (Matthew 18:20). This was said to the people he was around and not to just us today.
#7. Jesus knew men's thoughts (Matthew 9:4) (Matthew 12:25) (Mark 2:8) (Luke 5:22) (Luke 6:8) (Luke 9:47) (Luke 24:38).

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our Lord Jesus Christ
Did Jesus work on the seventh day? He was accused of working on the seventh day. The Law forbids working on the seventh day. For this reason the chief priests were trying to kill him.

In John 5:1-16 Jesus healed a paralytic by the Pool of Bethesda. This happened on the Sabbath.

John 5:16 (NIV) So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. 17 In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” 18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus work on the seventh day? He was accused of working on the seventh day. The Law forbids working on the seventh day. For this reason the chief priests were trying to kill him.

In John 5:1-16 Jesus healed a paralytic by the Pool of Bethesda. This happened on the Sabbath.

John 5:16 (NIV) So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. 17 In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” 18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

While the Sabbath command is no longer a requirement for believers today under the New Covenant during Christ’s earthly ministry before the cross: Jesus did not break the Sabbath. The breaking of the Law is sin (1 John 3:4). The Scriptures say Jesus is without sin (1 Peter 2:22) (2 Corinthians 5:21) (1 John 3:5). Jesus only appeared to break the Sabbath from the Pharisee’s wrong understanding on the keeping of the Sabbath. The Pharisees were elevating their traditions above what the Word of God said in regards to the Sabbath Law that was only a requirement during the time of the Old Covenant (Before the death of Christ). For doing good on the Sabbath was never a restriction by God during the time of the Old Covenant.

Check out this article here:

Did Jesus break the Sabbath law? | GotQuestions.org
(Note: I do not agree with Gotquestions on everything they write; I am merely in agreement with the article they wrote here. It does not mean I endorse all of what they believe).

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Jesus clearly showed that human needs, including mercy toward others, have priority over the rigidly observing the Sabbath.

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus clearly showed that human needs, including mercy toward others, have priority over the rigidly observing the Sabbath.

God is for rigid observation of His laws, but the Sabbath (When it used to be in effect) was never intended for a person to ignore doing good by helping others as a part of the keeping of the Sabbath command. Jesus had to perfectly obey God’s laws in order to be our sinless substitute.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes! He is the living Word. The creative word. He spoke all things into being and that includes life, as well.
"Jesus became the Word."

Jesus was (past tense) the Word in the beginning.
He has always been the word, being the Word before the beginning

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Jesus became the Word."

Jesus was (past tense) the Word in the beginning.
He has always been the word, being the Word before the beginning

I did not catch the title of the thread initially. Yes, you are correct. The title of the thread is incorrect to say that “Jesus became the Word.” Jesus did not become the Word. Jesus was always the Word. The Living Word (second person of the Trinity) has always existed from eternity’s past.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our Lord Jesus Christ

The title of the thread is incorrect, friend.
It is not true to say Jesus became the Word.
Jesus was always the Word (from eternity’s past).
The Word was made flesh (John 1:14).
The Word is referring to the second person of the Trinity.

1 John 5:7 KJB says, “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.”

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Our Lord Jesus Christ

The Word (Logos) here isn't text. It's the Divine Second Person of the Trinity. Jesus is the Word, the Word is Jesus. That's who He is, from all eternity, God the Word.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our Lord Jesus Christ
3.Taught the Text (He always quoted the Old Testament, the Book of Deuteronomy the most,
then the Book of Isaiah)
"Word" in John 1:1 doesn't mean "text."

In Greek philosophy, Logos was the First Cause, the great Intelligence and Reason behind the Universe.
John opens his gospel with the astounding declaration that the recently despised and crucified man, Jesus of Nazareth, is the eternal Logos, source of all wisdom and power, who became flesh in order to reveal God to us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0