Jesus and the Hebrew Alphabet

yinonyavo

Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟322.00
Faith
Christian
I guess this is the best forum to post this? The meanings of the ancient letters are common knowledge among both secular and Jewish language historians. The word meaningsd and verses are from my own study based on word meanings and scripture. There are a lot of sources of information on the letters and related subjects. I have read dozens of books trying to sort it out and discover what is really SCRIPTURAL, but there isn't much out there that gives you the Biblical basis. So I have been doing my own study from scriptural proofs only to discover how much spiritual meaning can applied to the Hebrew Alphabet.

Hebrew letter/Eng =/ meaning /verse about Jesus
lit/symbolic

ALEPH A ox/strong Jer 11:19...I was like a lamb or an ox that is brought to slaughter

BET B house/son Heb 3:6 ..But Chirst as a son over his own house; whose house are we

GIMMEL C/G camel/reward Gen 15:1 Fear not Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

DALET D Door/Sorrow John 10:7 ....I am the door of the sheep

HEY E behold/life Jhn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:

VAV W/U/V nail/secure Zec 10:4 Out of him(Judah) came forth the corner, out of him the nail.

ZAYIN Z sword/judgment Deu 33:29 ....O people saved by the LORD, the shield of thy help, and who [is] the sword of thy excellency!

CHET H wall/protection Zec 2:5 For I, saith the LORD, will be unto her a wall of fire round about........

TET T serpent Joh 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent....so must the Son of man be lifted up.....

YOD Y/J/I hand/working Psa 138:7 .......and thy right hand shall save me.

KAPH K palm/rock I COr 10:4........and that rock was Christ

LAMED L rod,staff/authority Is 11:1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse........

MEM M water/blood John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give hime shall never thirst.........

NUN N fish/seed,prodigy Gal 3:16 ....and to thy see, which is Christ

SAMECH X support/branch Zec 3:8 ......for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.

AYIN O EYE/fountain Rev 5:6 ...and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes...

PEY P/F mouth/word Rev 19:13 ...and His name is called The Word of God.

TZADI ** man on his side/slain Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death.

KOPH Q head/follow Eph 5:23...even as Christ is the head of the church............

RESH R man/chief Zec 6:12 .....Behold the man whose name is the BRANCH..

SHIN SH fire/passion Heb 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire

TAV TH mark/covenant Isa 42:6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

yinonyavo

Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟322.00
Faith
Christian
THE HISTORY OF OUR ALPHABET ----OR ALEPHBET

The alphabet we use today for English is called the Roman alphabet, because the letters are basically the same style as the ones used by Rome. The Romans borrowed their alphabet from the Greeks and modified it slightly to suit the their language. The Greeks borrowed their alphabet from the Phoenicians and modified it to suit the Greek language. The Phoenicians, as is agreed upon by all historians, were the ones to carry the alphabet around the world because of their vast trade routes. ALL truely alphabetic writing systems of the world are based on THIS ONE Semetic alphabet. The characters have been altered from language to language, but the ORDER of the letters has remained pretty constant. If you look at any chart which shows all these alphabets (like the Russian, Greek, Dravidian, Aramaic, Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Roman, Phoenicain, etc, etc, etc.) and look at the order of the sound value and the NAMES of the letters, you will see they are nearly the same, and thus they are all based on the ORIGINAL Semetic alphabet. Since it was the Phoenicians who spread its use, the other alphabets will be much more similar to this ancient form than they are to the "square" Hebrew letters that we are familiar with. Hebrew reads from right to left. The Greeks, for a while wrote alternately R to L and L to R, later changing to all L to R. Thus, many of our letter are "backwards" or tilted from the original, but you can find the similarity in every letter. The introduction of paper and ink greatly changed the styles of lettering, but with the invention of the printing press, simpler forms once again were required and tend to resemble the more ancient engraved letters.

The disagreement comes in with Linguistic Historians, as to WHO exactly INVENTED alphabetic writing. They know, for instance that the Egyptian and all other middle eastern peoples(including the Hebrews) had some common symbols in there own writing systems. Some will even state that they believe all of these came from some earlier source, but they DON'T KNOW WHO!?!? Until recently they believed the DATE of the invention of the alphabet was sometime around 1200-1500 BC. This fits in with their theory that the Egyptian picture writing was a step in the "evolution" of writing.

HOWEVER, in 1995, a couple of Egyptologists from California found some SEMETIC ALPHABETIC WRITING in the desert of Egypt that is at least from 1900 or 2000 BC. They describe the writing as being from "semetic soldiers, with Egyptians infuences". The only two words they could read for sure were
"chief" and "El" (GOD, short for Elohim)!!! Dah, gee.......who might these "semetic soldiers with Egyptian influence" be from around 2000 BC!!???

www.library.cornell.edu/c...lphorg.htm

Another "cog" in the story is the ancient city of Gebal. In the OT it is mentioned that there were "ancients" from Gebal(Ezek 27:9) that were wise and who evidently worked on the Phoencian ships. If you research the history of Gebal, you will find that it (along with Damascus and Jericho) is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. The legend of Gebal goes something like this (this comes from archeological writings): They once were worshipers of a God whose name was El, who built a great wall around their city, but they later fell into idolotry. Before the find in Egypt, the oldest alphabetical writings had been found in Gebal. The Greeks called Gebal "BYBLOS" after the byblos reed that was used to make papyrus. Byblos was the world's greatest seller of papyrus, and also known as a center for many books, scrolls and tablets. The word byblos became, in fact, the very source of the word for BOOK in Greek, biblios, from where we get the word Bible.

Now, IF God gave writing to man, Adam or Enoch, and it was passed down thru the Godly line to Noah and Shem AND....as many commentators, both Jewish and Christian believe, ....if Shem/or Christ himself was Melchizedek and Melchizedek was the King of Salem and possibly the only remnant of the worshippers of the one true God, might not these "ancients" from Gebal have been some of these worshippers of the one true God and have been some of the few who retained knowledge of alphabetic writing? Shem, knowing Abraham to be chosen of God to carry on the Godly line, would have passed this knowledge on to him, and then it was carried to Egypt where either they influenced each other or the similarity between some Egyptian and Hebrew characters simply reflect the pre-babal oneness of the language......all other post babal writing being much less efficient and primitive. ???

Again, you can read any secular source on the History of the alphbet, and it will not argue with the meanings of the letters and their original picture form. There will be some very slight variations on a few of the letters, but it's pretty consistant on the whole.

Where the wider opinions and speculations come in, is where the more abstract and spiritual meanings of the letters are concerned. There is no shortage of information on this subject, but little that digs into the scriptural uses of the alphabet.

I was VERY sceptical to carry the meanings of the letters beyond their literal and cognate meanings. That is why I did this study. Even after I had finished the first 3 or 4 letters, and saw that MAYBE there was some basis for this, I was still doubtful, and thought it could just be coincidence and my own "reading things into it" that was making me start to change my mind. HOWEVER, after using the EXACT same method to examine each letter, and having scripture and the principle of first use and gematria and accrostic chapters and the 7 feasts, ALL keep falling into the same pattern, I became more and more convinced that, indeed, there is at least SOME spiritual theme to each of the 22 letters. They also seemed to fall into groupings of 7, where the general theme repeated itself, with only a change in emphasis, every 7 letters, and the last letter "tav" being more or less a summary of the other 21.

I'll continue later with a post on the first letter ALEPH..........YY

Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
Good Study! I too like looking for the meaning of things like this.

I was wondering though where you got your Alphabet from? After cheking seveal sources that I own I am confused on some of your letter meanings and letter exchanges.

ALEPH A
BET B
GIMMEL C/G
DALET D
HEY E
VAV W/U/V
ZAYIN Z
CHET H
TET T
YOD Y/J/I
KAPH K
LAMED L

MEM M
NUN N
SAMECH X
AYIN O EYE
PEY P/F
TZADI **
KOPH Q
RESH R
SHIN SH
TAV TH

I have highlighted the discrepancies above.

BET B --- Bet and Vet are the same letter, different pronunciation
GIMMEL C/G --- I cannot find where gimmel is a "c" anywhere, just a hard "g"

HEY E --- Hey- Is "H" as in "Hey", or "Home"
VAV W/U/V ---- Vav is V,O, or U not "W"
CHET H ---- Chet is the german gutteral sound of "ch"
YOD Y/J/I ---- This should be prefaced with "I and then J have been substituted for this letter hence Yeshua was made Ieosus ( Greek) and then Jesus ( English translation of the Greek) "
SAMECH X ---- Samech in all my sources is a "S"
TZADI ** --- This is a "TZ" as in Tzar and in final form it would sounds like "nuts"

Also I found missing a few, were you going to do them later?

Fe - Fay, as in Father

Sin -- Also an "S" sound

Have you done any specific studies on the letter Shin and Sin?

Upvote 0

yinonyavo

Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟322.00
Faith
Christian
SW

The corresponding letters I give are not transliteration sounds, but the evolution from the ancient alphabet to our current English (Roman). Yes, the gimmel is a "g" as far as current pronunciation, but our letter "c" AND "g" can be traced back to the gimmel as the origin of both. For a time in the Old English there was no distinction in their form, but later the little extra horizontal line was added to the C when a hard g sound was meant.

Again, you are correct, the Hey is pronounce H, but our E (and the greek letter eta are descended from the hey.

Same for the others you mentioned. Sorry, I was not clear on what I was trying to show.

The fey is the alternate pronunciation of the Pey.

I'll be posting all my studies on each letter. So, yes, I'll get to SHIN/SIN. These are just my own findings taken direct from scriptures, and word etemologies. I'm not of Jewish upbringing, so I'm sure their could be lots of in put and corrections to my findings, but it is a start from a Messianic look at the letters and I learned SO MUCH. Hope others will give their thoughts........

Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
Ah, I see, sorry, I didn't understand I guess from the title. This is a tracing back of the whole world alphabet. I always felt the Adam spoke to the L-rd in Hebrew and that was the first language. Then with the ungodly things that were going on at Babel, the L-rd gave all different languages except for Eber's family, and there it went down all the way to Abraham.

Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
This is pretty cool

xe_Alphabet.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sojeru

just a Jew
Mar 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,145.00
Faith
Judaism
what about aramaic.
for in scripture it does say out of the pen of moses.
"my father was a wandering [as]syrian"

And there are great similarities between Hebrew and aramaic.
and our modern hebrew letters (block script) is called ashuri (assyrian) by the hebrews themselves.
So could the original language possibly have been aramaic?
or probably something relating with the two?
Because I DO KNOW that Messiah himself did not speak our Hebrew or old Hebrew with the common.
He may have known it as being a rabbi- but i do know there was a judaic dialect of aramaic- and that aramaic was also the language of Luqas(luke), him being from syria.

Upvote 0

OvercomeAndEndure

Follower Of Yeshua
Oct 29, 2018
Jurrassic Coastline, Dorset
✟8,457.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Commenting in an attempt to hopefully save this thread in the "watched" threads section.
~*~
Edited: YaY! It worked!
2nd Edit : newbie mistake as I can see that I just needed to click a tab and not bother with commenting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Are any familiar with the numerical values of the letters with final forms?

I believe the mem in final form is 600. I broke this down recently with 66 (so 666) and it came out to Hebrew words with mem, samek (MS) and every word in the concordance was negative. One was even a forced tax...which i believe to be very fitting for a synthetic number, i.e., a man-made 600, which is not the natural alephbet, but some tradition.

This is all from memory of something I watched/read...I will do some further research in order to cite.

*Yeah so I believe it would come out to mem, samech, yod
600 60 6

Check this out: Strong's Hebrew: 4522. מַס (mas or mis) -- body of forced laborers, forced service, taskworkers, taskwork, serfdom

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="yinonyavo, post: 921226, member: 10423"]Now, IF God gave writing to man, Adam or Enoch, and it was passed down thru the Godly line to Noah and Shem AND....as many commentators, both Jewish and Christian believe, ....if Shem/or Christ himself was Melchizedek and Melchizedek was the King of Salem and possibly the only remnant of the worshippers of the one true God, might not these "ancients" from Gebal have been some of these worshippers of the one true God and have been some of the few who retained knowledge of alphabetic writing? Shem, knowing Abraham to be chosen of God to carry on the Godly line, would have passed this knowledge on to him, and then it was carried to Egypt where either they influenced each other or the similarity between some Egyptian and Hebrew characters simply reflect the pre-babal oneness of the language......all other post babal writing being much less efficient and primitive. ???[/QUOTE

===============================
Perhaps, but really there is no need that Yahweh gave writing to man that early.
Their minds were in MUCH MUCH better condition than man's minds are TODAY (and for quite some thousands of years it seems).

From Adam and Havah thru the flood to how far along ----
the ability they had to remember all the commands of Yahweh,
that they were taught by Yahweh at first, then by Yahweh or by being passed down by daily repetition and song and memory
was greater than most or all men's ability today to be taught and to learn Yahweh's Way WITH TORAH as well as all the other (so-called) resources of (so-called) scholars TODAY and for the last many centuries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laureate

whatisthebaytreeknown4? What's debate reknown for?
Jan 18, 2012
The big island of hawaii 19.5 in the ring of fire
✟58,771.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am the Alepʰ Û Tau.... spells אות lit., symbols, as in letters of the אב AB (< Father) Aleph Betʰ, the Son is the Word, and the Father (Alepʰ Betʰ) is the Symbols of the Alepʰ Û Tau (< Hebrew for Alpha Bet).

It is easier to get a ג (G-Camel) through the ק (Q-eye of an needle) than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

G being a hard (or vocalized) Q, or Q being an aspirated G.

Hang a ט (serpent) on a ס (pole).... phonetically depicts צ/ץ

Go to the ים 'Sea' and cast in a ו (hook) i.e., יום (Day), and the נ (fish) that ר (first) comes up (נר light), when you open its פ (mouth) you will find a stater, take and pay for you and I.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The disagreement comes in with Linguistic Historians, as to WHO exactly INVENTED alphabetic writing. They know, for instance that the Egyptian and all other middle eastern peoples(including the Hebrews) had some common symbols in there own writing systems. Some will even state that they believe all of these came from some earlier source, but they DON'T KNOW WHO!?!? Until recently they believed the DATE of the invention of the alphabet was sometime around 1200-1500 BC. This fits in with their theory that the Egyptian picture writing was a step in the "evolution" of writing.
Check this out: He starts talking about the alphabet at about the 13 minute mark.

Upvote 0