Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
St John Regis

Celebrated on June 16th

lalouvesc-basilica-26297_w800.jpg

Lalouvesc: Detail of the facade of the Saint-Régis basilica

A French Jesuit priest , born near Narbonne in 1597, John Francis Regis was the son of a well-to-do merchant. He joined the Jesuits at 18 and was ordained in 1631. as a young priest he longed to work as a missionary among the North American Indians in Canada, but he was to live out his vocation in France, running missions in the very poor rural areas of the Auvergne and Languedoc.

A tireless preacher, many people were converted by him. He made great efforts to help prisoners and prostitutes . He helped prostitutes by establishing safe houses for those who wished to leave the business and helping them find other jobs. He helped many become trained lace makers, which provided them with a stable income. Thus, he is known as the patron saint of lace makers.

He also set up many Confraternities of the Blessed Sacrament.

He encountered rigorous winters, snowdrifts and other deprivations, but continued preaching missions and earned a reputation as a saint. One man, entering the town of Saint-Andé, came upon a large crowd in front of a church and was told that people were waiting for "the saint" who was coming to preach a mission.

St John Regis died on the evening of 31 December 1640, while on a preaching mission at La Louvesc in Dauphine. He had been suffering from a lung ailment, but insisted on preaching and hearing confessions. A penitent found him unconscious in the confessional, and he was revived long enough to receive the last rites before dying. His last words were “Jesus, my Saviour, I recommend my soul to you.”

He was canonised in 1737. His shrine at Lalouvesc is still visited by many thousands each year.

Lalouvesc: Interior of the Saint-Régis basilica: nave

lalouvesc-basilica-26302_w800.jpg

Lalouvesc: Interior of the Saint-Régis basilica: reliquary containing the bones of Saint-Régis

lalouvesc-basilica-26304_w800.jpg

Lalouvesc: Interior of the Saint-Régis chapel: recumbent statue of St. François Régis

lalouvesc-basilica-26288_w800.jpg