• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Jerusalem our Mother ?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Carl Emerson, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+3,228
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Can I encourage discussion on the following verses please.

Gal 4:25-26
    25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother.

Rev 21:9-10
    9 Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, “Come here, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.”
    10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God...

Are we to relate to the Heavenly Jerusalem as a spiritual mother and the bride of Christ?

Have we failed to give these verses the weight they deserve?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member CF Ambassadors Supporter

+745
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Excellent observation. It makes perfect sense.

The heavenly Jerusalem is the Bride of of Christ: the Victorious Church.

At the same time She is our mother.

The Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.

So, the Heavenly Jerusalem is the bride and the Temple is the bridegroom.

And the whole description of the city is really a description of the Victorious Church.

3. concretecamper

concretecamper Member of His Church

+1,455
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Paul's letter to the Ephesians tells us the the Church is the Bide of Christ.

Therefore as the church is subject to Christ: so also let the wives be to their husbands in all things. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church and delivered himself up for it. That he might sanctify it, cleansing it by the laver of water in the word of life, That he might present it to himself, a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing;

4. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+18,024
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Seeing as the heavenly, new Jerusalem, God's City, is also broadly understood to be the Church, God's people, this is also one of the reasons why the Church is at times spoken of as being a mother to the Faithful. St. Augustine saying one cannot have God as his Father without the Church as his mother.

-CryptoLutheran

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,903
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Heb 12
    18 For you have not come to a mountain that can be touched and to a blazing fire, and to darkness and gloom and whirlwind, 19 and to the blast of a trumpet and the sound of words which sound was such that those who heard begged that no further word be spoken to them. 20 For they could not bear the command, “If even a beast touches the mountain, it will be stoned.” 21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, “I am full of fear and trembling.” 22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

Rev 12
    10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God. Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper. 12 It had a great and high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels; and names were written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east and three gates on the north and three gates on the south and three gates on the west. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundation stones, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

All literal.. all true.

6. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member CF Ambassadors Supporter

+745
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Your assertion doesn't address the OP.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020