Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I encourage discussion on the following verses please.

Gal 4:25-26
25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother.

Rev 21:9-10
9 Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, “Come here, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.”
10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God...

Are we to relate to the Heavenly Jerusalem as a spiritual mother and the bride of Christ?

Have we failed to give these verses the weight they deserve?

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Excellent observation. It makes perfect sense.

The heavenly Jerusalem is the Bride of of Christ: the Victorious Church.

At the same time She is our mother.

The Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.

So, the Heavenly Jerusalem is the bride and the Temple is the bridegroom.

And the whole description of the city is really a description of the Victorious Church.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul's letter to the Ephesians tells us the the Church is the Bide of Christ.

Therefore as the church is subject to Christ: so also let the wives be to their husbands in all things. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church and delivered himself up for it. That he might sanctify it, cleansing it by the laver of water in the word of life, That he might present it to himself, a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing;

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother.

9 Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, “Come here, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.”
10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God...

Are we to relate to the Heavenly Jerusalem as a spiritual mother and the bride of Christ?

Seeing as the heavenly, new Jerusalem, God's City, is also broadly understood to be the Church, God's people, this is also one of the reasons why the Church is at times spoken of as being a mother to the Faithful. St. Augustine saying one cannot have God as his Father without the Church as his mother.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Heb 12
18 For you have not come to a mountain that can be touched and to a blazing fire, and to darkness and gloom and whirlwind, 19 and to the blast of a trumpet and the sound of words which sound was such that those who heard begged that no further word be spoken to them. 20 For they could not bear the command, “If even a beast touches the mountain, it will be stoned.” 21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, “I am full of fear and trembling.” 22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

Rev 21
10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God. Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper. 12 It had a great and high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels; and names were written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east and three gates on the north and three gates on the south and three gates on the west. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundation stones, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

All literal.. all true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

I noticed this one didn't come up.
(Don't ask me why I was back in June, I was looking for something).

Psalm 87:
His foundation is in the holy mountains.
2 The Lord loves the gates of Zion
More than all the dwellings of Jacob.
3 Glorious things are spoken of you, O city of God! Selah
4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to those who know Me;
Behold, O Philistia and Tyre, with Ethiopia:
This one was born there.
5 And of Zion it will be said,
This one and that one were born in her;
And the Most High Himself shall establish her.
6 The Lord will record,
When He registers the peoples:
This one was born there. Selah
7 Both the singers and the players say;
All my springs are in you.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I noticed this one didn't come up.
(Don't ask me why I was back in June, I was looking for something).

Psalm 87:
His foundation is in the holy mountains.
2 The Lord loves the gates of Zion
More than all the dwellings of Jacob.
3 Glorious things are spoken of you, O city of God! Selah
4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to those who know Me;
Behold, O Philistia and Tyre, with Ethiopia:
This one was born there.
5 And of Zion it will be said,
This one and that one were born in her;
And the Most High Himself shall establish her.
6 The Lord will record,
When He registers the peoples:
This one was born there. Selah
7 Both the singers and the players say;
All my springs are in you.

Yes... thanks for the reminder...

• Friendly
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So now -- "leaving in" the texts in my post we have ...

Heb 12
18 For you have not come to a mountain that can be touched and to a blazing fire, and to darkness and gloom and whirlwind, 19 and to the blast of a trumpet and the sound of words which sound was such that those who heard begged that no further word be spoken to them. 20 For they could not bear the command, “If even a beast touches the mountain, it will be stoned.” 21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, “I am full of fear and trembling.” 22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

And in Heb 12:
22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel

And from my post ---

Rev 21
10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God. Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper. 12 It had a great and high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels; and names were written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east and three gates on the north and three gates on the south and three gates on the west. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundation stones, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

So it is the New Jerusalem that is the bride of Christ in Rev 21 and we are members of it.

In Rev 21 the New Jerusalem comes down out of heaven - to Earth - literally , physically - and is from then on home-based on planet Earth "the New Earth" of Rev 21:1-2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So now -- "leaving in" the texts in my post we have ...

And in Heb 12:
22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel

And from my post ---

Rev 21

So it is the New Jerusalem that is the bride of Christ in Rev 21 and we are members of it.

In Rev 21 the New Jerusalem comes down out of heaven - to Earth - literally , physically - and is from then on home-based on planet Earth "the New Earth" of Rev 21:1-2

When I was in Jerusalem I saw a painting done by one of Israel's contemporary artists which depicted the New Jerusalem descending in the clouds...

Interesting that Jews also have this expectation...

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

(MY NOTE/View: Vs 24, Allegory representation/Sarah = New Jerusalem which is ABOVE/a higher place or a place of a higher calling. Those belonging to Her faith based covenant are FREE from the law covenant cut at Sinai/represented by Hagar/Vs 25. OT life/assembly revolved around the Temple. New Jerusalem is where the NT assembly/Church/Body of Christ will thrive.)

IMO: Sarah is the mother reference:

Gen 17:
3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

4 As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

15 And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be.

16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.
(MY NOTE: Vs 4 & 5 God tells Abram he will become a father of many nations. Vs 16 God say's Sarah shall be a MOTHER of nations)

Amplified Bible
Gal 4:26 But the Jerusalem above [that is, the way of faith, represented by Sarah] is free; she is our mother.
Bible Gateway passage: Galatians 4 - Amplified Bible

Strong's g507 ABOVE = a higher place or a place of a higher calling
Strong's Greek: 507. ἄνω (anó) -- up, above

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ezekiel 40-48 goes with Revelation 21-22, especially Ezekiel 47 which gives the geographical location of God's House in Christ's future Millennial reign on earth.

Those stuck with not studying the Old Testament Books along with the New Testament never come to that Ezekiel realization that the heavenly Jerusalem is a physical reality that is going to literally manifest here upon this earth, when Christ returns, and definitely when the full Godhead returns to live upon this earth with us.

Why do so many brethren think of the heavenly dimension as less real than this earthly dimension?

Upvote 0