Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I understand that you believe this.
What I don't understand, and what you have thusfar failed to demonstrate, is where scripture TEACHES you to believe this?
Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 1:19-20

Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 2:1

1. Christ walks in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks, which are the seven churches.

2. Christ holds the seven stars, which are the people of the seven churches, in his right hand.

I believe that the Christian congregations are seven...

1. Messianic
2. The persecuted church
3. Greek Orthodox
4. Catholic
5. Protestant
6. Methodist
7. Charismatic

And all very much different church congregations. I personally see no harm in walking as Christ walks, among the seven congregations. Christ himself says...

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. - Matthew 18:20

I would also like to check out some Mediterranean cruises and check into some of those mid-ages churches.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Between the Laodicean church age and 2060AD we will experience what Paul calls, "The fulness of the Gentiles..."

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. - Romans 11:25

When the fulness of the Gentiles has arrived look for the fulfilling of the Ezekiel prophecies in which the Lord will defend Israel in Ezekiel 38-39 and the temple will be rebuild in the aftermath.

After the temple is rebuilt the Anti-Christ will set up his kingdom using Jerusalem as his chair.

2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. - 2 Thessalonians 2

I believe that once the temple is rebuilt that the Anti-Christ will reign and have seat in that temple. Setting Jerusalem as capital of Israel is a move toward this direction.

Jerusalem in the prophetic news....

For Jerusalem to build the new temple according to Ezekiel 40, and for the temple in which the antichrist will eventually sit, there is one structure that has got to be removed, and that is The Temple Mount, known to Muslims as the Haram esh-Sharif, as it will be in the way for the new temple...

1200px-Israel-2013%282%29-Aerial-Jerusalem-Temple_Mount-Temple_Mount_%28south_exposure%29.jpg

The Muslims will not let this go without a fight, and thus the prophecies of Ezekiel 38-39 will come into effect...

3 And say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:
4 And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed with all sorts of armour, even a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords:
5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet:
6 Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah of the north quarters, and all his bands: and many people with thee.
7 Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee, and be thou a guard unto them.
8 After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land that is brought back from the sword, and is gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.
9 Thou shalt ascend and come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many people with thee.
10 Thus saith the Lord God; It shall also come to pass, that at the same time shall things come into thy mind, and thou shalt think an evil thought:
11 And thou shalt say, I will go up to the land of unwalled villages; I will go to them that are at rest, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates,
12 To take a spoil, and to take a prey; to turn thine hand upon the desolate places that are now inhabited, and upon the people that are gathered out of the nations, which have gotten cattle and goods, that dwell in the midst of the land.
13 Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants of Tarshish, with all the young lions thereof, shall say unto thee, Art thou come to take a spoil? hast thou gathered thy company to take a prey? to carry away silver and gold, to take away cattle and goods, to take a great spoil?
14 Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say unto Gog, Thus saith the Lord God; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?
15 And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company, and a mighty army:
16 And thou shalt come up against my people of Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring thee against my land, that the heathen may know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, O Gog, before their eyes.
17 Thus saith the Lord God; Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them?
18 And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord God, that my fury shall come up in my face. - Ezekiel 38
12 And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying of them, that they may cleanse the land. - Ezekiel 39

This event will create a power vacuum in which Israel will benefit, and use that benefit to build the third temple described in Ezekiel 40-48....

6fc71e7b9d90ecba34e929667631fe64--third-temple-jewish-temple.jpg

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For Jerusalem to build the new temple according to Ezekiel 40, and for the temple in which the antichrist will eventually sit, there is one structure that has got to be removed, and that is The Temple Mount, known to Muslims as the Haram esh-Sharif, as it will be in the way for the new temple...

You mean the Mosque built on top of the remains of Roman Fort Antonia, which was built by the Romans to house the thousands of soldiers needed to police the city of Jerusalem, during the time of Christ.

It is about the same size and shape of other Roman forts built during the same time period.

It was not destroyed by the Romans during 70 AD, because they built it.

During 73 AD the Jewish leader at Masada said the only thing left in Jerusalem was that built by the Romans.

The actual site of the Jewish temple was close to Gihon Spring, because water was needed in the temple.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 1:19-20

Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 2:1

1. Christ walks in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks, which are the seven churches.

2. Christ holds the seven stars, which are the people of the seven churches, in his right hand.

OK, So far none of this negates or teaches against my position that the 7 churches are 7 literal 1st ceentury congregations located in Asia Minor, and instead are some sort of metephoric, spiritual symbol for various periods through Church History as you claim.

I believe that the Christian congregations are seven...

1. Messianic
2. The persecuted church
3. Greek Orthodox
4. Catholic
5. Protestant
6. Methodist
7. Charismatic

No Baptists?

I would also like to check out some Mediterranean cruises and check into some of those mid-ages churches.

That would be cool.

Well.. I still don't see where Scripture teaches you this Allegorical belief you espouse. All I see is Jesus Telling John to write to the 7, LITERAL 1st century Asia Minor Congregations that were then contemporary to him.

Got anything else to support your claim?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
OK, So far none of this negates or teaches against my position that the 7 churches are 7 literal 1st ceentury congregations located in Asia Minor, and instead are some sort of metephoric, spiritual symbol for various periods through Church History as you claim.

No Baptists?

That would be cool.

Well.. I still don't see where Scripture teaches you this Allegorical belief you espouse. All I see is Jesus Telling John to write to the 7, LITERAL 1st century Asia Minor Congregations that were then contemporary to him.

Got anything else to support your claim?

Baptist would be within the Sardisean congregation.

And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. - Revelation 3:1

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. - Revelation 3:5

Translated.... The eternal security thing is for those who overcome...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
OK, So far none of this negates or teaches against my position that the 7 churches are 7 literal 1st century congregations located in Asia Minor, and instead are some sort of metaphoric, spiritual symbol for various periods through Church History as you claim.

I believe that the churches are seven...

Ephesus - Apostolic
Smyrna - Foxes lists the persecutions as ten
Pergamos - Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

And the angels (Christian people) as seven

Ephesus - Apostolic
Smyrna - Martyr - Early Orthodox
Pergamos - Orthodox
Thyatira - Catholic
Sardis - Protestant
Philadelphia - Wesleyism - Methodist / Pentecostal
Laodicea - Materialistic - Charistmatic / Word of Faith

...These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 2:1

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 1:20

Each Christian is an angel to the specific church age and is a star that makes up a whole constellation within the church age. So as there can be millions of stars within a constellation so there are also millions of angels (aggelos-messenger in the Greek) within the church age. The Lord Jesus Christ also walks among the seven churches. To find out the message he has for each church simply read into the prophecy!

sevenages.png

Revelation chapter 4 takes us to the thrown room of God with the 24 elders there clothed in white. Revelation chapter 5 describes the Lambs Book of Life...

1-2 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
3-4 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. - Rev 5

If this is not the book of life why did John weep so? And why all the ado? I believe that the whole passage from Revelation 1-5 deals with the entire church of Christ. It may indeed mean seven congregations as you say, but I think the passage is too heavy for seven churches who really did not amount to much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe also that the Catholic church congregation will outnumber the rest on the last day...

My dad's side of the family was Catholic and my dad actually went to Catholic seminary. They use to attend Holy Family Catholic in Saginaw Michigan and just walking up the stairs into a sanctuary pictured below with priests, monks, nuns, in a medieval setting, was a treat in itself. I wish I could go back in time! I believe also that the Catholic church is a Christian church making up their own congregation within the seven.
a1806aef84a478b9380c4022c842b5fc.jpg

IMG_3336-405x296.jpg

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
for me.. the generation that sees these things will not pass away.. 2060... good luck with that..and there is no luck in heaven :) "Christian congregations are seven." I see this.. yet.. your looking at this through mans eyes. As it is written.. there is only ONE body. God does not see all these groups. We do.. we have divided. He is not. For me.. one could say.. that last Church is us.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If this is not the book of life why did John weep so?

The book is a summary of the Book of Revelation.

Christ is the one who revealed the book to John, which is what the Book of Revelation is all about.

Christ removes the seals one at a time, and then John is told "Come and see.".

Rev_6:1  And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.

Rev_6:3  And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see.

Rev_6:5  And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.

Rev_6:7  And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

The signs in the sun, moon, and stars in chapter 6 are the same found in the Olivet Discourse, at the future Second Coming of Christ.
During a Blood Moon, the moon does not give its light.

At the end of chapter 6 we find characters from chapter 19 hiding from the wrath of the Lamb.
"mighty men", "captains", "free", and "bond".

They would not be hiding from the wrath of the Lamb, unless the Lamb were present during this time.
This is a vision of the Second Coming of Christ.

The Book of Revelation cannot be in chronological order because Christ returns in Revelation 16:15-16 and also in chapter 19.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Great Question.
I've always wondered how (or why), in the absense of ANY scriptural instruction to do so, people allegorize the 7 Churches, instead of interpreting them literally.
The letters to the Seven Churches in Revelation have actual instructions for Christians regarding their sanctification, so thinking about it figuratively may distance the mind from actually applying the teachings.
This seems to be an extension of dispensationalism, which is a normalization doctrine so people don't feel "not chosen" due to signs not following them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. - Matthew 24:42
And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. - Acts 1:7

I find that two people cannot study Revelation together and get the same meaning out of it. I believe that this comes from the fact that God wants to give us a general idea of future things, but does not get into needed specifics to draw universal conclusions on.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baptist would be within the Sardisean congregation.

And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. - Revelation 3:1

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. - Revelation 3:5

Translated.... The eternal security thing is for those who overcome...

Why did you leave out Revelation 3:3?

I mean, I guess I did ask if you believed we should rip that verse out of the Bible since you don't seem to believe it is true... I guess this post answers that question.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Why did you leave out Revelation 3:3?

I mean, I guess I did ask if you believed we should rip that verse out of the Bible since you don't seem to believe it is true... I guess this post answers that question.

A sardius is a gem, both hard and elegant.
Sardius-300x179.jpg

And this describes this movement. The people in this congregation would dress up sharp for church and they are rigid on their doctrine. I am supporting a niece going to Thomas Road Baptist Church's Liberty University and do not mind as I know there will be a descent Christian atmosphere there.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And I do believe this passage refers to the age in which we live....

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. - Revelation 3

Lukewarm
Materialistic
In need of proper Christian perspective
And of rebuke
And of chastising
And in need of repentance

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
End time prophecies...

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. - Matthew 24:12
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; - 2 Thessalonians 2:3

I believe that the falling away begins with the Laodicean age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
End time prophecies...

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. - Matthew 24:12
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; - 2 Thessalonians 2:3

I believe that the falling away begins with the Laodicean age.

So When the glorified Jesus, From heaven, Promised the Literal 1st century people of the Literal 1st century church at Sardis that His Thief's coming would befall them, (Revelation 3:3) He was Lying? Maybe Simply mistaken? Intentionally misleading?

How do you reconcile that passage exactly?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
So When the glorified Jesus, From heaven, Promised the Literal 1st century people of the Literal 1st century church at Sardis that His Thief's coming would befall them, (Revelation 3:3) He was Lying? Maybe Simply mistaken? Intentionally misleading?

How do you reconcile that passage exactly?

He was speaking to Sardis as a whole church congregation.

Christ says he holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks in the midst of the seven candlesticks. This is too heavy for seven churches that historically were not big at all.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was speaking to Sardis as a whole church congregation.
Correct. The whole LITERAL, PHYSICAL 1st Century Congregation at the LITERAL Asia Minor Location of Sardis.

Was He Lying TO THEM?

Christ says he holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks in the midst of the seven candlesticks. This is too heavy for seven churches that historically were not big at all.

Speculation.
This is nothing more than your personal Opinion imposed onto the text to suit your previously held paradigm, as well as purposeful de litteralization.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Smyrnaean Church age began with the Roman Emperor Nero burning down Rome and accusing the Christians of doing it. Smyrna in the Greek means “Myrrh,” in which the Smyrnaean martyrs represented the most pure form of Christianity of all the church ages. The martyred crowns were many as the Smyrnaean church age progressed.

Ye Shall Have Tribulation Ten Days…
Time Persecutor Description
67 AD Nero The Smyrna Church Age begins with Nero setting fire to Rome, and then blaming the Christians
81 AD Domitian Declaration that no Christian should be exempt from punishment, Paul’s Timothy died in 97 AD.
108 AD Trajan and Adrian Severe persecution against Christians from 108 to 138 AD during the time of the Bishop Ignatius
162 AD Marcos Aurelius Marcos Aurelius, commendable in study of philosophy, sharp and fierce towards Christians.
192 AD Severus This persecution was carried out by the will and prejudice of the people and extended into Africa.
235 AD Maximus Numberless Christians were slain without trial and burned indiscriminately in heaps
249 AD Decius Began because of the amazing increase in Christianity, and with the heathen temples forsaken.
257 AD Valerian The martyrs that fell during this persecution were innumerable, their tortures and deaths painful.
274 AD Aurelian A brief persecution that ended with the emperor’s assassination.
303 AD Diocletian The last persecution ended with Constantine’s triumph against Rome in 313 AD

The Foxes book of martyrs has the Roman persecutions as ten.

Upvote 0