• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Jerusalem Bible?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Winter, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Winter

Winter Jesus, let it be ok

+614
    Catholic
    Married
    Is this RC Bible the only version that comes as a direct translation from the Hebrew/Greek? Are there any other versions besides the Jerusalem that are translated directly from Hebrew/Greek?

Thanks. - Winter

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Veteran

+150
    Presbyterian
    Married
    there's the NAB too as well as the RSV CE and the NRSV CE. Also the Good News Bible catholic edition (although the last three are ecumenical translations with some revisions by catholic scholars, they've been approved and given the imprimatur

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  3. Winter

+614
    Catholic
    Married
    Hey, thank you Scottish Knight. :)

4. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee Repentance works.

+2,424
    Catholic
    Private
    In addition to the ones mentioned by Scottish Knight there is also the Christian Community Bible and the New Jerusalem Bible (successor to the Jerusalem Bible).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  5. Sarcalogos Deus

Sarcalogos Deus Welch Ein Mensch!

+47
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    The NAB, New Jerusalem, and Christian Community Bible are all Catholic translations from Hebrew/Greek instead of the Latin Vulgate.

I believe the last Catholic translation of the Vulgate into English was the Knox Bible, published in the late 40s, which was out of print until a few days ago.

6. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Senior Member

+94
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    :thumbsup:

I have The Catholic Comparative New Testament, which contains the Douay-Rheims, RSV-Catholic Bible, NRSV-Catholic Bible (Anglicized), NAB, Jerusalem Bible, New Jerusalem Bible, Good News Translation, and Christian Community Bible. This is very helpful in comparing N.T. passages.

Winter,

The RSV and NRSV are used in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, The Catholic Bible Association obtained permission from the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States to use the RSV and NRSV.

Quote from the CCC:
    The New Revised Standard Version is a revision of the Revised Standard Version of 1952, which was a revision of the American Standard Version of 1901, which "embodied" earlier revisions of the King James Version published in 1611.

The NRSV draws upon discovery of documents in Semitic languages related to Hebrew, and the Dead Sea Scrolls. Scholars also made us of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (edition of Hebrew & Aramaic texts fixed by Masoretes (Jewish Scholars); ancient versions of Greek, Araamaic, Syriac, and Latin; and the most recent edition of The Greek New Testament (United Bible Societies). This is not an all inclusive list of sources.

The Catholic Bible Association adopted these ecumenical translations (RSV & NRSV) used primarily by non-Catholics and edited them for Catholic use. The RSV became the Revised Standard Version- Catholic Edition. It has been reissued under the title, The Ignatius Bible (there may be other titles out now).

This is a quote from the Introduction to the Catholic Edition of the Revised Standard Version, found in the The Catholic Comparative New Testament:
    There were very few changes made to produce the RSV-Catholic Edition. Most changes involve what is placed in the main body of text and what is placed in the footnotes in the case of variants among early manuscripts. While commentaries reflect Catholic theology, the translation remains essentially unchanged.

Even though the RSV and NRSV are considered "ecumenical" translations, the Catholic Bible Association, explains their adoption of translations used primarily by non-Catholics---as reflected in this quote from the Introduction to the Catholic Edition of the Revised Standard Version, found in the The Catholic Comparative New Testament:
    I think with the discovery of more and more ancient manuscripts and advancements in textual criticism, we are all drawing closer together in the Bibles versions/translations we use.

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,409
    Catholic
    Private
    I have a few older Bibles - Douay versions Chancellor and Rheims.
    I want to get the NAB - easier reading.

8. Winter

+614
    Catholic
    Married
    Wow, thank you all for the great info. Appreciate it. Very helpful.

I just have the Douhey Reimes which is English translation from Latin, so I was looking for something translated from the original language. I'll take a look at the recommendations.

9. Sarcalogos Deus

+47
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    If you want to stay in the same general style family as the Douay I'd go for the RSV-CE or RSV-2CE.

10. Winter

+614
    Catholic
    Married
    Thanks Sarcalogous. Do you mean language? I'm ok with "thees" and "thous". And I certainly do not want any of those modern english language types - you know the ones that replace "he" with a universal term. Its not because I don't believe the messages were meant to be universal, but if they used "he" in the script then "he" is what I want to read. I can see the intention beyond the cultural term usage of the times. :)

11. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+9,563
    Judaism
    Married
    What's interesting to me is that there are a few terms that refer to G-d that are feminine in the Hebrew. It's something you don't really get in English because we lack masculine and feminine words.

12. Winter

+614
    Catholic
    Married
    Interesting. Didn't know that.

13. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+9,563
    Judaism
    Married
    Well, it stands to reason. Generally all the terms are masculine but a few are in there that aren't.

14. Sarcalogos Deus

+47
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well the RSV-CE is simply a Catholic version of the RSV which was itself an update of the ASV which was an update of the KJV (with which the Douay shares the same general style). The RSV-CE uses "Thee" and "Thou" when God is speaking or when someone is speaking to God, but other than that "you" is used. The RSV-2CE basically just removed the thees completely.

15. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+957
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Hello:

A bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a difference in the Catholic and Protestant Bibles in the New Testament. I know the Catholic Bible has additional books in the Old Testament, but is the New Testament the same?

Thank you.

16. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Veteran

+150
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Yes,exactly the same

17. jacks

+957
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others

Thank you. I really enjoy the New Jerusalem Bible and want to use it in my Bible studies, but don't want to be on a "different page", as it were, with my study mates.

18. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Veteran

+150
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I haven't used the New Jerusalem Bible myself but I hear it has a very good literary style.I almost got myself a copy a while back. How do you find it yourself?

19. jacks

+957
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I find it easy to read. It is a modern English vesion and I like the fact it uses the term Yahweh for Lord where appropriate. This helps avoid some confusions for me. The hardcover versions also usually has notes and references. I believe there is a 3rd edition coming out (if it isn't out already) but I'm unsure what changes that will bring. I would encourage you to check out this SITE For an online version, I think you will enjoy it.

20. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+9,563
    Judaism
    Married

That is unfortunate. It would be better to just leave it the four letters than to use the name that is in no way confirmed as correct.