Jerry Nadler on impeachment. Then and now.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Back in 1998 Jerry Nadler, the current House Judiciary Chairman, had something interesting to say about impeachment:

Flashback: What Nadler said about impeaching a president in 1998

"There must never be a narrowly voted impeachment or an impeachment substantially supported by one of our major political parties and largely opposed by the other.
Such an impeachment would lack legitimacy, would produce divisiveness and bitterness in our politics for years to come and will call into question the very legitimacy of our political institutions".

It's rather interesting that his views have clearly changed over the years, as we now have him as the chairman of the House Judiciary leading the way to doing exactly what he had previously said must never be done.

Last edited:

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Back in 1998 Jerry Nadler, the current House Judiciary Chairman, had something interesting to say about impeachment:

"There must never be a narrowly voted impeachment or an impeachment substantially supported by one of our major political parties and largely opposed by the other
Such an impeachment would lack legitimacy, would produce divisiveness and bitterness in our politics for years to come and will call into question the very legitimacy of our political institutions".

It's rather interesting that his views have clearly changed over the years, as we now have him as the chairman of the House Judiciary leading the way to doing exactly what he had previously said must never be done.
Lindsey Graham has had a similar change of heart, though in the opposite direction. Funny how that works.

Also, this makes the third time this exact topic has been posted in the past ten days.
Rep. Nadler's 1998 statements About Impeachment
Nadler’s appearance of hypocrisy

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"There must never be a narrowly voted impeachment or an impeachment substantially supported by one of our major political parties and largely opposed by the other

It's only rather interesting that his views apparently changed over the years, the fact a Republican President is being impeached. If this was another Democratic President being impeached instead, this time along strict party lines, in this case, by Republicans, the same way Nadler is going about it now, I wonder if Nadler's views would still match his views from years past, or his current views? I'm guessing the former myself. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm not, yet I can't help but think I probably am right.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's only rather interesting that his views apparently changed over the years, the fact a Republican President is being impeached. If this was another Democratic President being impeached instead, this time along strict party lines, in this case, by Republicans, the same way Nadler is going about it now, I wonder if Nadler's views would still match his views from years past, or his current views? I'm guessing the former myself. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm not, yet I can't help but think I probably am right.

Oh, you're right. Trust me! Nadler wouldn't be for Hillary Clinton 's impeachment right now, no matter what. In fact, I highly doubt that the vote throughout the House would be anything but along party lines, just as it is now.

Upvote 0