Jerry Falwell Jr. will take ‘indefinite leave of absence’ from Liberty University after viral photo

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe it. Some like to add to when someone is being torn down.

Apparently it was a theme related to some Canadian TV thing. I don't know about that show, but you can read about the account here and see what the party video was named that they took down. You probably won't believe that either.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not here to offend.. not sure why some come to this site but.. for me things like this.. I would be posting for PRAYER for the man. Why? Well like Jesus said.. treat others the way you want to be treated...

So I would want my FAMILY to help me.. pray for me. We all fall at times.. Who's there to pick us up? Don't be like the world. We pray agree together for him his family.. all. show mercy grace forgiveness.. like Christ shows us every time we fall

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Apparently it was a theme related to some Canadian TV thing. I don't know about that show, but you can read about the account here and see what the party video was named that they took down. You probably won't believe that either.
You're right, people thrive on gossip.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While the photo was in poor taste, the punitive nature of the reaction exposes a major problem within the evangelical world. Lack of forgiveness and desire to punish people is a huge Biblical error and one evangelicals need to correct. We're talking about one picture here, one which was intended as a joke between friends.

If that were true, I would agree with you, but we aren't talking about one picture. This is essentially the straw that broke the camel's back. This came out last year and there have been other incidents since:

‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s Aides Break Their Silence

• Agree
Reactions: A_JAY
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah...
We were all hoping for something other than what is apparent.

But it looks like we got Gideon's son instead of David's son...

And that's a shame. But yeah...he is going to have to resign and walk away with lots and lots of money. (How many millions does a person need anyway?)

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If that were true, I would agree with you, but we aren't talking about one picture. This is essentially the straw that broke the camel's back. This came out last year and there have been other incidents since:

‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s Aides Break Their Silence
I'm not going to sit around defending Falwell jr. However that article is nothing but a hit piece full of gossip and precious little first hand information. The notion that "self dealing" is some sort of sin is asinine. Show me in scripture where a father is forbidden from passing work along to his son or other family members. That an increasingly godless America doesn't like it doesn't mean that God disapproves.

If Falwell is committing some sin, Matthew 18 should be followed. He should not be tried by Christians in the secular press.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not going to sit around defending Falwell jr. However that article is nothing but a hit piece full of gossip and precious little first hand information.

Yeah, except for all of the direct quotes and documents cited.

The notion that "self dealing" is some sort of sin is asinine. Show me in scripture where a father is forbidden from passing work along to his son or other family members. That an increasingly godless America doesn't like it doesn't mean that God disapproves.

lol, what? It would be one thing if this were purely a private, for-profit business, but Falwell runs (ran) a large charitable organization that is required to manage itself in certain ways in order to be eligible for certain legal and tax advantages. You're not allowed to use a charity to just enrich yourself and your family members - that's why the Trump Foundation was shut down.

If Falwell is committing some sin, Matthew 18 should be followed. He should not be tried by Christians in the secular press.

Matthew 18 both provides an avenue to bring a case to the broader church and fails to address the case in which the accused wields significant power over those who would bring complaints or stand witness against him.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, except for all of the direct quotes and documents cited.

lol, what? It would be one thing if this were purely a private, for-profit business, but Falwell runs (ran) a large charitable organization that is required to manage itself in certain ways in order to be eligible for certain legal and tax advantages. You're not allowed to use a charity to just enrich yourself and your family members - that's why the Trump Foundation was shut down.

Matthew 18 both provides an avenue to bring a case to the broader church and fails to address the case in which the accused wields significant power over those who would bring complaints or stand witness against him.
I don't think we can assume to know more than God, who gave us Matthew 18 to deal with problems in the church, including accusations against the powerful.

As for family dealing, hiring your son to manage a mall is not indicative of corruption unless the mall doesn't exist or something along those lines. The rules on non-profits aren't that much different than for-profits, as evidenced by places like Goodwill that give less than 10% to charity. In Liberty University's case, they're providing an education of sorts to thousands of people so they're fulfilling their mission in that regard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think we can assume to know more than God, who gave us Matthew 18 to deal with problems in the church, including accusations against the powerful.

The problems with Falwell aren't merely within the church.

As for family dealing, hiring your son to manage a mall is not indicative of corruption unless the mall doesn't exist or something along those lines. The rules on non-profits aren't that much different than for-profits, as evidenced by places like Goodwill that give less than 10% to charity. In Liberty University's case, they're providing an education of sorts to thousands of people so they're fulfilling their mission in that regard.

Directors of a non-profit have a duty to protect and prioritize the interests of the organization.
Fiduciary Responsibility of Nonprofit Boards - CharityLawyer Blog

As the article puts it, hiring your kids, rather than professionals, to manage things is a red flag.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The problems with Falwell aren't merely within the church.

Directors of a non-profit have a duty to protect and prioritize the interests of the organization.
Fiduciary Responsibility of Nonprofit Boards - CharityLawyer Blog

As the article puts it, hiring your kids, rather than professionals, to manage things is a red flag.
I'm an attorney, I understand fiduciary responsibilities. That said, we have no idea what experience his kids have and whether they're qualified for the jobs they were given. Assuming they aren't qualified is uncharitable. Reagan used to say "trust but verify." I think that applies here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟483,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How would it be his fault if his wife committed adultery?
The guy needs to own his own responsibility for his actions. Stop pointing at the wife because he acted stupidly.

Upvote 0