Jerry Falwell Jr., Michael Cohen, Donald Trump....

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
CNBC (Trump fixer Michael Cohen says he helped evangelical leader Jerry Falwell Jr. handle racy photos) is reporting that in the months before Donald Trump started his campaign for the 2016 election, Michael Cohen was approached by Jerry Falwell Jr. for a 'personal favor'. It appears that some 'personal pictures' of Falwell's fell into the hands of someone who was extorting him for money. Cohen approached the party, explained they were committing a crime and law enforcement would be called in if they persisted.

Apparently the pictures were destroyed (except possibly one which Cohen apparently still possesses) and all was good. Then it appears that Cohen approached Falwell to enlist his endorsement of Trump just before the Iowa caucuses. Falwell then endorsed Trump and presented Trump as a reformed sinner whom Evangelicals could support for president.

A couple of things stick out in my mind. One, an attorney doing a 'personal favor' for someone tells me that Cohen did not charge Falwell for his legal services. That makes Falwell 'beholden' to Cohen. Then it is Cohen who convinces Falwell to endorse Trump AND vouch for Trump's standing as a repentant sinner. And Cohen apparently still has one of the photos.

I don't know or care what Falwell was doing when the picture was taken. That is a problem he has to deal with. But -if- the picture is worthy of someone else blackmailing Falwell, what would keep that same picture from being used to blackmail Falwell into endorsing Trump for president?

It would be a shame if Evangelicals were hoodwinked into believing Trump was a changed person just because one of their respected religious leaders succumbed to blackmail.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Haha
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
CNBC (Trump fixer Michael Cohen says he helped evangelical leader Jerry Falwell Jr. handle racy photos) is reporting that in the months before Donald Trump started his campaign for the 2016 election, Michael Cohen was approached by Jerry Falwell Jr. for a 'personal favor'. It appears that some 'personal pictures' of Falwell's fell into the hands of someone who was extorting him for money. Cohen approached the party, explained they were committing a crime and law enforcement would be called in if they persisted.

Apparently the pictures were destroyed (except possibly one which Cohen apparently still possesses) and all was good. Then it appears that Cohen approached Falwell to enlist his endorsement of Trump just before the Iowa caucuses. Falwell then endorsed Trump and presented Trump as a reformed sinner whom Evangelicals could support for president.

A couple of things stick out in my mind. One, an attorney doing a 'personal favor' for someone tells me that Cohen did not charge Falwell for his legal services. That makes Falwell 'beholden' to Cohen. Then it is Cohen who convinces Falwell to endorse Trump AND vouch for Trump's standing as a repentant sinner. And Cohen apparently still has one of the photos.

I don't know or care what Falwell was doing when the picture was taken. That is a problem he has to deal with. But -if- the picture is worthy of someone else blackmailing Falwell, what would keep that same picture from being used to blackmail Falwell into endorsing Trump for president?

It would be a shame if Evangelicals were hoodwinked into believing Trump was a changed person just because one of their respected religious leaders succumbed to blackmail.

I thought you were going to say "...walk into a bar."

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if my heart can stand that much schadenfreude. But Falwell is denying it, so I guess we'll see...

Falwell Refutes Allegations Michael Cohen Stopped "Racy" Photos From Leaking | Todd Starnes

Everyone starts their conversation by denying the allegations. It is only after some period of time before the issue...whatever it is...solidifies into either true or false.

Or probably more accurately into either believed or not believed.

I guess we just need to keep an eye on this one and see which way it goes.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Todd Starnes? Bahaha!

If it were only Starnes, I would have ignored it. But it was Falwell giving an interview to Starnes, so we can be confident that he at least said those quote.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Michael Cohen? A disgraced lying convicted convict? Anything to attack the popular elected leader of our country I guess.

Polls around the nation since he was elected shows he is not popular with the people. And people who have lied (which is almost ever human being on the planet) and are convicted of crimes are very often good sources of other criminal behavior.

However, you are free to choose whichever sources you like in support of your personal world view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Michael Cohen? A disgraced lying convicted convict? Anything to attack the popular elected leader of our country I guess.
No. Not anything. I mean, there's been plenty of reasons to attack the unprincipled, unscrupulous, unskilled, pompous blowhard. This is just one more.

EDIT. After reading the response and considering some quotes:

Cohen "Pictures that should be kept between husband and wife". Well, no problem with that. If it's pictures with him and his wife, that is, IMO only his business and should not be any kind of concern. Unless other parties are also involved of course (but the Cohen quote doesn't really support that).

That said, Falwell's response, if you break it down is a bit suspect too:
"“While we have a long-standing friendship with Michael Cohen, we never engaged or paid Cohen to represent us in any legal or other professional capacity, and Cohen did not ever resolve any legal matter on our behalf,” Falwell said."

• Useful
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No. Not anything. I mean, there's been plenty of reasons to attack the unprincipled, unscrupulous, unskilled, pompous blowhard. This is just one more.

EDIT. After reading the response and considering some quotes:

Cohen "Pictures that should be kept between husband and wife". Well, no problem with that. If it's pictures with him and his wife, that is, IMO only his business and should not be any kind of concern. Unless other parties are also involved of course (but the Cohen quote doesn't really support that).

That said, Falwell's response, if you break it down is a bit suspect too:
"“While we have a long-standing friendship with Michael Cohen, we never engaged or paid Cohen to represent us in any legal or other professional capacity, and Cohen did not ever resolve any legal matter on our behalf,” Falwell said."

You caught that, too, eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Narrator: The story so far...
Cohen says he helped Falwell with “a thing” (which Falwell denies)
Falwell endorses Trump
The flight school at “Liberty University” wins a no-bid contract to sell avgas to the USA.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

yougottabekidding

Nov 3, 2018
Oologah
✟28,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard of Falwell's daddy, but very little about him. Here in the Bible Belt, there is little said about him, nor Liberty University.

That said:

Cohen - really? The man serving three years for lying among other things. The man who is making money off his notoriety, who would not swear before congress that there wasn't a book or movie deal in the working? That person is being regarded as a reliable source?

Even my monkey is laughing at that notion.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I've heard of Falwell's daddy, but very little about him. Here in the Bible Belt, there is little said about him, nor Liberty University.

That said:

Cohen - really? The man serving three years for lying among other things. The man who is making money off his notoriety, who would not swear before congress that there wasn't a book or movie deal in the working? That person is being regarded as a reliable source?

Even my monkey is laughing at that notion.
Trump is no less a liar yet millions not only BELIEVE him but trust him to lead the country. At least with Cohen's lies, there is relatively little impact.

• Winner
Upvote 0