Jerry Falwell Jr. coming apart at the seams (ETA: taking a leave from Liberty (resigns, maybe))

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I've been watching as this story has percolated from the scandalsheets and tabloids upwards. Politico provides an inside look:

‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s Aides Break Their Silence
More than two dozen current and former Liberty University officials describe a culture of fear and self-dealing at the largest Christian college in the world.

Well worth a read, but I just want to focus on one element of the story, as a helpful hint to other pastors out there who may receive some negative publicity.

During the trip, photos were taken of Jerry and Trey Falwell partying at a Miami nightclub—photos that multiple Liberty University officials said Jerry Falwell tried to make disappear.

In a statement on August 21, Jerry Falwell denied the existence of any photo of him at the club. “There was no picture snapped of me at WALL nightclub or any other nightclub,” Falwell wrote. “I’m sure you already knew that though.”

When told that I had obtained a photo of him for this article, Falwell said I was “terribly mistaken.” “If you show me the picture, I can probably help you out,” he wrote. “I think you are making some incorrect assumptions, or have been told false things or are seeing something that was photo--shopped.”

Helpful hint: don't assert that a photo was photoshopped when it was taken by a professional photographer who handles the Miami club scene:

For 21 years, I have maintained an impeccable reputation for documenting Miami Beach’s storied social scene.

We wholly reject Jerry Falwell Jr.’s baseless allegation in yesterday’s Politico report by Brandon Ambrosino that one of our pictures was “photo-shopped” or manipulated in any fashion.

We, in fact, did not know Politico’s purpose for licensing the image and were as surprised as anyone to discover that Mr. Falwell was among the partygoers we photographed on July 19, 2014 at WALL Lounge.

As a result, we reviewed all the images we have from the event and discovered an additional four photos that include Mr. Falwell and two more of his son.

Whew! Don't read Tom Arnold's tweet about Falwell, though. That's still strictly for the scandal sheets.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. told Hill.TV on Tuesday that he has begun sharing information with the FBI in what he alleged was a criminal conspiracy against him by former board members at the school.

Falwell said in an exclusive interview that in the coming days the FBI will review university documents at the Lynchburg, Va., campus. He accused former colleagues of stealing school property in the form of emails and then sharing them with reporters in an effort to damage his reputation.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is no substitute for good character. Every thing comes to a head at some point. It is better to be celebrated for behaving honorably than mired in scandal. What a shame.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I thought everyone knew these guys were grifters?

Successful grifters know a lot of suckers. You'd think this would make it too obvious, but instead their fan-bases coalesced and became even more devoted.

5c2c04e00af98.image.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Successful grifters know a lot of suckers. You'd think this would make it too obvious, but instead their fan-bases coalesced and became even more devoted.

5c2c04e00af98.image.jpg
I thought the Jim Bakker and Peter Popoff stuff back in the day was enough. You can tell just by looking at them that they're lying all the time. Who believes this?

I guess you already answered that question...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
thought the Jim Bakker and Peter Popoff stuff back in the day was enough. You can tell just by looking at them that they're lying all the time. Who believes this?
Bakker sells apocalypse survival gear now. Guess he's not planning on being raptured any more.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Bakker sells apocalypse survival gear now. Guess he's not planning on being raptured any more.

Popoff also bounced back.

In the mid-2000s, Popoff began to offer "Miracle Spring Water" on late-night infomercials in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.[36] Respondents are promised miraculous protection from disease and disability, along with financial prosperity (which may include "divine money transfers directly into your account"), if they sleep with the water for one night before drinking it, then pray over the empty packet and send it back to Popoff—with a donation. Multiple solicitation letters follow, requesting more donations in exchange for miracles.

• Haha
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
While the article only discuses Mr Falwells bringing up his sex life inappropriately with staff and refrains from speculation on his sexuality I’m going to go ahead and say it, closet case. Bragging at that level of awkward rings all the bells for repression and overcompensating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

5c2c04e00af98.image.jpg
That sounds familiar.....

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“We’re not a school; we’re a real estate hedge fund,” said a senior university official with inside knowledge of Liberty’s finances. “We’re not educating; we’re buying real estate every year and taking students’ money to do it.”

Trump would congratulate him.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've been watching as this story has percolated from the scandalsheets and tabloids upwards. Politico provides an inside look:

‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s Aides Break Their Silence
More than two dozen current and former Liberty University officials describe a culture of fear and self-dealing at the largest Christian college in the world.

Well worth a read, but I just want to focus on one element of the story, as a helpful hint to other pastors out there who may receive some negative publicity.

During the trip, photos were taken of Jerry and Trey Falwell partying at a Miami nightclub—photos that multiple Liberty University officials said Jerry Falwell tried to make disappear.

In a statement on August 21, Jerry Falwell denied the existence of any photo of him at the club. “There was no picture snapped of me at WALL nightclub or any other nightclub,” Falwell wrote. “I’m sure you already knew that though.”

When told that I had obtained a photo of him for this article, Falwell said I was “terribly mistaken.” “If you show me the picture, I can probably help you out,” he wrote. “I think you are making some incorrect assumptions, or have been told false things or are seeing something that was photo--shopped.”

Helpful hint: don't assert that a photo was photoshopped when it was taken by a professional photographer who handles the Miami club scene:

For 21 years, I have maintained an impeccable reputation for documenting Miami Beach’s storied social scene.

We wholly reject Jerry Falwell Jr.’s baseless allegation in yesterday’s Politico report by Brandon Ambrosino that one of our pictures was “photo-shopped” or manipulated in any fashion.

We, in fact, did not know Politico’s purpose for licensing the image and were as surprised as anyone to discover that Mr. Falwell was among the partygoers we photographed on July 19, 2014 at WALL Lounge.

As a result, we reviewed all the images we have from the event and discovered an additional four photos that include Mr. Falwell and two more of his son.

Whew! Don't read Tom Arnold's tweet about Falwell, though. That's still strictly for the scandal sheets.

Strange he knew the specific name of the nightclub the pictures he's disputing were allegedly taken at, lol.

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised that he went there and also couldn't figure out that of course his photo would be taken while there.

Also not surprised he's acting as he is.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Who the heck goes to a dance club at that age? I get a headache just thinking about those places and I’m almost 20 years younger than him.

...and with their whole family? What a weird outing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0