Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay. Is there anything in the entire chspter that would indicate that the letter is for them only?
The letters were written by Jeremiah specifically for the exiles and carried to the exiles by two men so I would say that is indication in itself. Additionally, in my KJV study bible the chapter itself has the title of "Jeremiah's Letter to the Exiles" i've also read through this book recently in a bible study group together and we've came to that conclusion.

But just because something is for a specific group of people doesn't mean the ideoligy doesn't apply to anyone else.

The epistles Paul wrote were for churches that existed during his time but they apply today for example.

thoughts of peace and good are promised to us in the Nt, and an expected end is promised to us in the NT. So I can quote jeremiah 29:11 into my situation today becuase I know God thinks thoughts of peace towards me, and God has an expected end for me.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The letters were written by Jeremiah specifically for the exiles and carried to the exiles by two men so I would say that is indication in itself. Additionally, in my KJV study bible the chapter itself has the title of "Jeremiah's Letter to the Exiles" i've also read through this book recently in a bible study group together and we've came to that conclusion.

But just because something is for a specific group of people doesn't mean the ideoligy doesn't apply to anyone else.

The epistles Paul wrote were for churches that existed during his time but they apply today for example.

thoughts of peace and good are promised to us in the Nt, and an expected end is promised to us in the NT. So I can quote jeremiah 29:11 into my situation today becuase I know God thinks thoughts of peace towards me, and God has an expected end for me.
Has He delivered on all of the promises in the chapter? For instance, has He restored your fortunes?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Has He delivered on all of the promises in the chapter? For instance, has He restored your fortunes?
I'm young, so I can't say I've ever established a fortune yet. Sure you could take the whole chapter and try to apply it but to me the scripture alone is applicable. Every chapter has a scripture or two in it you can quote and apply but the rest of the chapter in some cases you can't.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally I believe certian scriptures can stand alone and be applied to your life... in fact we tend to do that all the time with certian phrases we say in the church, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
“For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Is this applicable to us as individuals? If so, how? If not, why not?

Daniel: 9. 2. In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

Daniel: 9. 21. Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. 22. And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. 23. At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision. 24. Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. 25. Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. 26. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. 27. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Upvote 0

Dotty

Jul 14, 2017
Benson
✟7,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Is this applicable to us as individuals? If so, how? If not, why not?
My name is Dotty,and I am married and my husband and I are re learning everything about Christ all over again.The way our parents taught us was completely backwards and the more I read GOD'S word the more informed I become.The scripture of topic I have on the front of my tablet as a wall paper and I think it's just amazing how GOD let's you know that he's with you no matter what.So if there's any married couples that is up here that could help my husband and live the life of a christian married couple and as parents .we are reaching out to you.please respond.GOD Bless!

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm young, so I can't say I've ever established a fortune yet. Sure you could take the whole chapter and try to apply it but to me the scripture alone is applicable. Every chapter has a scripture or two in it you can quote and apply but the rest of the chapter in some cases you can't.
That's the thing, though. It really can't mean what it never meant. That verse can't be isolated to mean something it was never intended to convey.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's the thing, though. It really can't mean what it never meant. That verse can't be isolated to mean something it was never intended to convey.
The verse still means the same thing you're just applying it to yourself. I feel you're just being difficult though, if you don't want to use the verse don't use it. But god still thinks thoughts of peace and he still has an expected end so the verse is still applicable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The verse still means the same thing you're just applying it to yourself
No, it doesn't. It was for a specific people at a specific time. If that verse can be applied to you, then so can the rest.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, it doesn't. It was for a specific people at a specific time. If that verse can be applied to you, then so can the rest.
Some of The epistles were for specific people (church) for a specific time along with the 10 commandments but it still applies

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Some of The epistles were for specific people (church) for a specific time along with the 10 commandments but it still applies
I'm not saying that there's no application here. I'm just saying that it's not a personal application.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And using that logic then you can't rely on the OT or apply it

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not saying that there's no application here. I'm just saying that it's not a personal application.
It can be personally applied though if God still thinks thoughts of peace towards us and offers an expected end

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If a scripture can do something for someone today it's applicable. If telling someone god knows the thoughts he thinks torwards them peace not evil to give them an expected end does something and it's true even today it applies. People are in captivity like they were in Babylon, people are in situations where there seems to be no way out and God is willing to offer peace and an expected end today for anyone willing to turn to him. Just because a letter was written for a specific group doesn't mean we can't apply it... that's basically what we do with the NT letters that were also written for a specific group, we apply it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Hammster ..you know I believe if you asked Jesus this.. He would ask YOU... what do YOU believe? I know your not asking that here.. maybe I am wrong.. a debate? Anyway.. its not what so and so things.. not what some other group does or did. For in EVERY group people have been hurt.

With Christ.. its personal. Is it for today? What do YOU believe? Was Jesus just quoting King David to Satan? Jesus stood up and started to quote a verse yet...stopped, never read the rest. He is the word.. He knew how to divide it perfectly.

I keep writing to much.. for me? I found was...DOUBT...will stop my Father. Faith? WOW.. still learning this and I am 56. He gets SO MOVED so PLEASED by FAITH! So lets take a (try again) short walk this time.. dont look down.. there is no ground. So when Jesus spoke to Satan..when Satan quoted ... quoted some dead King? Some words written by some again dead King? We live in this TIME BUBBLE. It was not.. it is.. but will not be the way it was meant to be. So when the Father speaks.. you cant think like MAN. We see death.. hello we named a BOOK that is ageless OLD TESTAMENT. A word that is WRONG.. for its not OLD. A the SAME God has never changed.. there is NO time there.. so HIS words.. have what..stopped..aged.. died.. killed over..what? You think because some MAN/WOMAN writes them down.. haha they become what? STOP thinking like MAN! This is NOT your home..

YES its for NOW.. but this is a PERSONAL GOD! I dont follow some man.. some group. I am 56 and I have found OTHERS that in my book talk like me..not me like them. I still have the BLUE bible my parents gave me that has so many verses circled. They just JUMPED OUT. See I found FAITH.. HE LOVES FAITH!. I found if I doubt.. like that town did.. all this GOD could do is lay hands on a few and teach. WHY? Was He not the messiah? FULL of the Holy Spirit? YOU ARE FREE! So...if you say NO that CANT happen. NO GOD will not does not do.. what ever. You think GOD is what..going to some how go against your will?

And.. is not this GOD real? No not being silly or mean..is JESUS real or not? He said.. my sheep (who is that?) KNOW my voice. They wont follow a stranger..stranger? Then we have the PROMISE that Jesus asked the Father for.. HOLY Spirit.. that will not speak of Himself....wait..wait.. SPEAKS? Will not SPEAK of Himself? Yet its true..its in that NT book.. you read.. HE SAID.. the HOLY SPIRIT SAID..

I am saying all that so..you ask HIM.. is that verse for me? He never to this day asked me what do I think YOU believe or some church or some preacher. Not.. what do you think they believe about what I said. He ask me what do I BELIEVE.

So yes amen praise GOD GLORY TO JESUS! Its for TODAY! FOR ME! To those that believe. See.. Hes my Father... and if get it wrong.. believe something wrong.. what kind of DAD does nothing.. says nothing? See.. I seek HIM 1st.. I draw near to HIM. See He is the PERFECT gentelman. So.. if I never spoke to Him.. never prayed.. things like that.. He will give me what I wanted and do in return. I am no puppet.. He respect me. ALL of us on this planet. This is not game... YOU have to WANT HIM..seek HIM. For HE has WANTED you before you this world was.. HE send JESUS JUST FOR YOU!. But YOU have to take it..you have to BELIEVE. For me? It has ALWAYS worked..

To put myself out there praise GOD.. I once got made.. was not happy with the way things were. He said.. not upset.. and yet.. WOW so hard to put in to words "WHEN have I EVER failed you?". yeah.. He does not do that every day..every year.. oh how I PRAY AND WISH.. but.. yet when He said that.. I knew all of what I was talking about and all the moments.. wow.. HE WAS ALWAYS THERE! It was as if.. I had no right to say.. sorry I didnt NOTICE IT..NOTICE YOU so..its not real. He takes the blinders off so you can SEE.

Speak HIS WORD! Its HIS.. that you must 1st understand.. get right.. was it MAN or HIM. NO MAN will fix this or get it right. Never will. NO MAN on this earth no group on this EARTH has it right. BUT.. I can go to a Baptist Church and see my Jesus. I can go all the to the other side.. a WORD OF FAITH and see my Jesus. WHICH Group has the 100% TRUE GOSPEL? MANY tents.. ONE CAMP. And I seek HIM not man.. I feel in love with that messiah. I just believed at 1st.. later I feel in love.. I listen to others..other groups.. yet dont agree with all they teach.

So.. I take HIM at HIS word. I dont put TIME on it.. so so sorry for going on so long. THIS is what I keep deleting. I really am sorry.. if have offended anyone.. wow sorry. Just be like a child. No.. have FAITH that what you BELIEVE.. JESUS is real.. be it OLD or NT.. its FOR YOU! If you follow HIM.. do what HE asks.. when you goof up miss it.. HE WILL TELL YOU..show you. just like ANY parent does.. but.. you HAVE TO BELIEVE. IF you doubt.. you will get nothing.. I didnt say that.. HE did

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Windows 10 wants to update my computer. C y'all later.

Knowing Windows as I do (which is why I own Macs) we may never see you again. ;)

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The application I get from this is no matter how dark life may seem, God will work things out for those who love Him. No matter where we are, we are not beyond His reach; He will gather His people to Himself in His time, and we will worship Him together in the sweet fellowship of love.

You may look at God's promises and see no application to your life in them, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to look at them in the same way. Don't force such faithless views onto others. I find encouragement in God's promises. Don't try to steal that hope away from me, nor anyone else.

Could you take any promise to any person in the Bible and apply it directly to yourself?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This verse has been given to me in the past as a word of comfort I suppose. I too have wondered about this and other verses and their applicability for individuals today? That kind of keeps me from claiming it. Obviously as has been pointed out it has a context, which can be found by reading the whole chapter. Of course some will claim it as a kind of word directly to them in their circumstances. I don't want to critcise that but it brings up the issue of what the Bible is and in what way we are to profit from reading it?

Upvote 0