Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Please note that this is not a generic verse aimed at people in general. It's God's reassurance to the Jewish people in exile that once Babylon's time is over, he will restore them.

I think God actually does have good things for all of his people. But this passage isn't about that. It's about restoration after repentance. The repentance is implied because say that God will be found when they seek for him with all their hearts. The promise was given specifically 'Because you have said, “The LORD has raised up prophets for us in Babylon,”'

You're right that the passage was directed at the nation, not individuals. In my opinion if we didn't have other Scriptural reasons to think that God will restore individuals, it would be questionable to use this passage that way. But we do have reason to think that God deals with individuals much the same way as Israel. So I'd say it's legitimate to use it that way.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Please note that this is not a generic verse aimed at people in general. It's God's reassurance to the Jewish people in exile that once Babylon's time is over, he will restore them.

I think God actually does have good things for all of his people. But this passage isn't about that. It's about restoration after repentance. The repentance is implied because say that God will be found when they seek for him with all their hearts. The promise was given specifically 'Because you have said, “The LORD has raised up prophets for us in Babylon,”'

You're right that the passage was directed at the nation, not individuals. In my opinion if we didn't have other Scriptural reasons to think that God will restore individuals, it would be questionable to use this passage that way. But we do have reason to think that God deals with individuals much the same way as Israel. So I'd say it's legitimate to use it that way.
Is it legitimate to use this part, too?

“I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.'”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:14‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Is it legitimate to use this part, too?.....‬‬
Properly, yes.

Same as in the same chapter >>>

Bible Gateway passage: Jeremiah 29:11 - New International Version
15 [But as for those still in Jerusalem] because you have said, The Lord has raised up prophets for us in Babylon,

16 Thus says the Lord concerning the king who sits upon the throne of David and concerning all the people who dwell in this city, your brethren who did not go forth with you into captivity—

17 Thus says the Lord of hosts: Behold, I am sending on them the sword, famine, and pestilence, and I will make them like vile figs which are so bad they cannot be eaten.

18 And I will pursue them with the sword, famine, and pestilence and will give them up to be tossed to and fro and to be a horror to all the kingdoms of the earth, to be a curse, an astonishment, and a terror, a hissing and a reproach among all the nations to which I have driven them,

19 Because they have not listened to and heeded My words, says the Lord, which I sent to them persistently by My servants the prophets; but you [exiles] would not listen [either], says the Lord.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Is it legitimate to use this part, too?

“I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.'”
Again, I'd want to justify doing so based on other things that apply to individuals. I think you can probably find them.

On the other hand, I have some reservations. Individuals do not always prosper when they're good or when they repent. This is a common theme in the Psalms, and of course is the topic of Job. I'm sure that in the long run God has good in mind for all of his people, and that after someone has been in exile he will often restore them. But the good and repentant don't aways prosper. Most commentators say that the book of Job contains only a partial answer to the question that it raises. That a complete understanding of suffering requires us to understand that God chose to join us and suffer with us, and that we are often granted the privlege of suffering for (and with) him as well. (Phill 1:29).

So I would never object to someone who felt that these passages applied to them. But I think a full Christian perspective (and even the perspective of the Psalms) implies some caution.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe they are obvious to you. Can you explain?
Are you one of God's children?
If so, then don't you think God has good plans for you, to give you a future and a hope?
If you aren't one of God's children, then I can understand why you would think the promise has no application to your life.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
“For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Is this applicable to us as individuals? If so, how? If not, why not?

Jeremiah 29:11King James Version (KJV)
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

If you read the whole chapter sure it references Israeli but it still applies to us because it's confirmed in the NT the ideoligy behind it I mean.

Romans 8:28King James Version (KJV)

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Matthew 24:13King James Version (KJV)
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Galatians 5:22-23King James Version (KJV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Is this applicable to us as individuals? If so, how? If not, why not?
Yes it applies to me now. Just tell Him what you want, step out the way, and watch for your steps to be ordered by the Lord.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are you one of God's children?
If so, then don't you think God has good plans for you, to give you a future and a hope?
If you aren't one of God's children, then I can understand why you would think the promise has no application to your life.
So this applies, too?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 29:11King James Version (KJV)
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

If you read the whole chapter sure it references Israeli but it still applies to us because it's confirmed in the NT the ideoligy behind it I mean.

Romans 8:28King James Version (KJV)

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Matthew 24:13King James Version (KJV)
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Galatians 5:22-23King James Version (KJV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
On what basis do you link those verses together?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On what basis do you link those verses together?

1. All things work together for good (for of course saved folk) and in order for all things to work together for good God must have thoughts of peace towards us right rather then evil?

2. Well if saved folk stay with God they can expect to reach the end (reach heaven).

3. The last verse was extra, it just shows how in the NT people who have the Holy Spirit can actually walk in peace itself, like not only does God think peace towards those who are saved and called in the NT but people can feel that Peace.

It's kind of like the bible verse in the OT that says he was borned in sin and shape in iniquity.

there are verses in the NT that support this ideoligy still being relevant in the NT even though that was written in the OT about David himself. We see in the NT that that applies to us all. Just like how we see in the NT that an expected end, and God thinks peace towards us all even though the OT scripture was written towards Iseral.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
1. All things work together for good (for of course saved folk) and in order for all things to work together for good God must have thoughts of peace towards us right rather then evil?

2. Well if saved folk stay with God they can expect to reach the end (reach heaven).

3. The last verse was extra, it just shows how in the NT people who have the Holy Spirit can actually walk in peace itself, like not only does God think peace towards those who are saved and called in the NT but people can feel that Peace.

It's kind of like the bible verse in the OT that says he was borned in sin and shape in iniquity.

there are verses in the NT that support this ideoligy still being relevant in the NT even though that was written in the OT about David himself. We see in the NT that that applies to us all. Just like how we see in the NT that an expected end, and God thinks peace towards us all even though the OT scripture was written towards Iseral.
Are all of those things true apart from Jer 29:11?

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So this applies, too?

The application I get from this is no matter how dark life may seem, God will work things out for those who love Him. No matter where we are, we are not beyond His reach; He will gather His people to Himself in His time, and we will worship Him together in the sweet fellowship of love.

You may look at God's promises and see no application to your life in them, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to look at them in the same way. Don't force such faithless views onto others. I find encouragement in God's promises. Don't try to steal that hope away from me, nor anyone else.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The application I get from this is no matter how dark life may seem, God will work things out for those who love Him. No matter where we are, we are not beyond His reach; He will gather His people to Himself in His time, and we will worship Him together in the sweet fellowship of love.

You may look at God's promises and see no application to your life in them, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to look at them in the same way. Don't force such faithless views onto others. I find encouragement in God's promises. Don't try to steal that hope away from me, nor anyone else.
That's an application I can support.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All of the above, but in particular the verses in question.

Well...I'm trying to see how else to explain it.

1. Jermiah 29:11 KJV says god thinks peace towards you.... and in the NT it says all things work together for Good. So God is thinking positive thoughts towards us and remember when God thinks something it comes into existence. He's a present tense God. So when God say all things work together for good it's just like him saying I think good or peace towards you it's a promise the saved can expect to happen.

2. He says he has an expected end positive end for the Israelites in the OT....in the NT he has an expected end for us as well if we choose to stay with him.

3. The last verse again was just extra saying we now can have a peace of mind if we have the Holy Spirit.

Now in regards to the other verse...

Psalm 51:5King James Version (KJV)
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

And this is still applicable in the NT

Romans 3:23King James Version (KJV)
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

1 John 1:8-10 - If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

And we even have baptism to deal with that sin. If it wasn't true that we were born in sin and iniquity then why would we have to be born again or even have sins washed away? If we were born right why be born again? If we weren't born and shaped in sin then why repent?

Acts 22:16King James Version (KJV)
16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0