Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
“For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Is this applicable to us as individuals? If so, how? If not, why not?

Reactions: Sarah G

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”

I'm inclined to think it does not apply to us as individuals. (But I'm not dogmatic about it.) Reading it in context is what I like to do, and the context of this verse is the Israelites and Babylon. I suggest you read the whole chapter and see if you think it could be applied to us as individuals. I think not.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it does, although perhaps not in the way most understand it.

I have heard people use this verse to pronounce blessings over themselves and their circumstances. I think that is the classic misinterpretation of it.

God does in fact have a plan in place and a purpose for his children. Each part of the the body serves and has a purpose. Very few are alike, so one persons purpose and plan need not be related to another.

He also has promised them a future with hope. That will not be realized until Heaven though. So those who use this to speak some prosperity nonsense over themselves are misinterpreting what the Lord is saying to his people. Our future and hope lay in the life to come, not in this life.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it does, although perhaps not in the way most understand it.

I have heard people use this verse to pronounce blessings over themselves and their circumstances. I think that is the classic misinterpretation of it.

God does in fact have a plan in place and a purpose for his children. Each part of the the body serves and has a purpose. Very few are alike, so one persons purpose and plan need not be related to another.

He also has promised them a future with hope. That will not be realized until Heaven though. So those who use this to speak some prosperity nonsense over themselves are misinterpreting what the Lord is saying to his people. Our future and hope lay in the life to come, not in this life.
It's especially sad when someone "claims" this verse for themselves in this life, get all revved up, and then realize that what follows is a 70-year exile to Babylon.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's especially sad when someone "claims" this verse for themselves in this life, get all revved up, and then realize that what follows is a 70-year exile to Babylon.

I'm not a big fan of quoting scriptures out of context either. But I suppose if I were about to go through a decade or more of Hell, I wouldn't mind hearing that the Lord ultimately had my best interest at heart as well. Ha! :)

80yhl.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't given to us specifically, but it does have application to us (2 Tim. 3:16-17; Rom. 15:4; Ps. 119:105). The reasons why are obvious from the text.
Maybe they are obvious to you. Can you explain?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Salvation by Grace through Faith is applicable to each individual who confesses Jesus as Savior. Jeremiah 29:11 is fulfilled in that confession. Romans 10:8-13.

• Winner
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Salvation by Grace through Faith is applicable to each individual who confesses Jesus as Savior. Jeremiah 29:11 is fulfilled in that confession. Romans 10:8-13.
So you'd say yes, it's applicable for us today?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I think it's applicable to those whom God's protection extends (see 1 John 5)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Yes, looking at the invisible and not the visible.
Exactly as Yeshua taught and trained His disciples and as YHWH opened their minds to understand Scripture.

No, to any aspect of the so-called prosperity gospel (false gospel that condemns multitudes to not finding YHWH'S Kingdom).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes, looking at the invisible and not the visible.
Exactly as Yeshua taught and trained His disciples and as YHWH opened their minds to understand Scripture.

No, to any aspect of the so-called prosperity gospel (false gospel that condemns multitudes to not finding YHWH'S Kingdom).
Some versions read "plans to prosper". So why no to the prosperity gospel?

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I'm not a big fan of quoting scriptures out of context either. But I suppose if I were about to go through a decade or more of Hell, I wouldn't mind hearing that the Lord ultimately had my best interest at heart as well. Ha!
Subject to clarifying. (your meaning or my reply).

If you spend any time in "hell" (by most any definition), there is no escaping it.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Subject to clarifying. (your meaning or my reply).

If you spend any time in "hell" (by most any definition), there is no escaping it.

I have no idea what I was saying, Jeff. Hows that? *smiling*

Upvote 0