Minnesota
✟212,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with the Biden administration and believe leftist polices against police as well as excusing the acts of criminals, often saying to accuse them is racist, is the root cause of the crime sweeping America. What do you think, am I correct or do you believe COVID is the root cause? Here is the New York Post article:
Jen Psaki says COVID-19 is the root cause of looting in US

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I disagree with the Biden administration and believe leftist polices against police as well as excusing the acts of criminals, often saying to accuse them is racist, is the root cause of the crime sweeping America. What do you think, am I correct or do you believe COVID is the root cause? Here is the New York Post article:
I think it more likely it’s that Americans have to live in America which is a terrible place if you are not wealthy.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ultimately sin and the fallen nature of man is behind it and I for sure know that some principalities and powers have been assisting in organizing and funding many of the protests that served as the justification for the riots and looting that followed. Pallets of bricks were delivered in advance to the looting zones and most of the participants were not local but imported. At any rate what mamma used to say two wrongs do no make a right so it you have legitimate protest it should be done in a a way that honors God and does not cross the line of do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

You know it is the same story when it comes to the terrible looting when it comes to the aftermath of storms. I remember this stuff well since when I moved to North Carolina from California and lived there for over 5.5 years and paid close attention to the stories that made the National News.

When the hurricanes swept through the coastal part of the state it was like some kind of racial/ethnic stereotype joke, as far as being very monochromatic as far as who was doing it. Not to mention really hard to justify it (that the owner of the store did something to actually warrant retribution). Yet the people who lived in those neighborhoods seem entitled to the 5 finger discount.

And it's not like I and other white people haven't had some hard times etc. myself the early 2000s were very very tough for me.... But I think this stuff is intrinsically bad no matter what reason is used to rationalize or justify it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟204,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People commit crime because it benefits them and they believe they will get away with it. The reasons why are complicated and cannot be attributed to one single factor. There is no one-size-fits-all in regard to motives. A few choices are: poverty, thrill-seeking, greed ("I need the latest greatest phone but cannot afford it so I must steal it"), revenge, entitlement ("they owe me this because of....") etc.........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it more likely it’s that Americans have to live in America which is a terrible place if you are not wealthy.

I think the sign of a "terrible" place is when you need to resort to immoral actions in order to get necessities. (food, water, medicine), not when people are resorting to immoral actions to get luxury items.

Seems like a lot of the recent high profile looting cases are pertaining to places that deal exclusively in "luxury items". The two highest profile recent examples involved a Best Buy and a Nordstrom (one place that sells high end electronics, and the other selling high-end clothing like $250 Hugo Boss sweaters)

If it were people looting grocery stores or drug stores, then I may be willing to think more deeply about that claim (for instance, I don't harbor any resentments against people who resorted to stealing food after natural disaster, and government agencies weren't doing their part), but this is something different. If someone was really at that level of desperation, I'd expect to see them making off with a loaf of bread or a case of water, not a 4k TV or a Cartier wristwatch.

Not to mention, how can covid be the cause? At the current moment (because of the covid policies that have created worker shortages), there's never been a better time to be a low-skilled worker (compensation wise). We have grocery/retail stores offering $16/hour + $500 signing bonuses to stock shelves...that's basically unheard of.

These recent high-profile lootings are simply opportunism at its worst.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is that why millions of immigrants would love to have your place in America?

• Winner
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Is that why millions of immigrants would love to have your place in America?
That’s because they live in places where even America seems a good choice. But from any non-hell hole country it’s a very hard sell (unless one is very wealthy, obviously).

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
You know it is the same story when it comes to the terrible looting when it comes to the aftermath of storms. I remember this stuff well since when I moved to North Carolina from California and lived there for over 5.5 years and paid close attention to the stories that made the National News.

When the hurricanes swept through the coastal part of the state it was like some kind of racial/ethnic stereotype joke, as far as being very monochromatic as far as who was doing it. Not to mention really hard to justify it (that the owner of the store did something to actually warrant retribution). Yet the people who lived in those neighborhoods seem entitled to the 5 finger discount.

And it's not like I and other white people haven't had some hard times etc. myself the early 2000s were very very tough for me.... But I think this stuff is intrinsically bad no matter what reason is used to rationalize or justify it.

The old Uncle Remus stories should be a clue, the subtext is that the system isn't fair and the hero must survive by using his wits and taking advantage of the stupidity of "the Man".

And in fairness, it's easy for me to have sympathy with that point of view. People that own very little and see themselves as having few opportunities aren't going to have alot of respect for private property rights on the margin.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The old Uncle Remus stories should be a clue, the subtext is that the system isn't fair and the hero must survive by using his wits and taking advantage of the stupidity of "the Man".

And in fairness, it's easy for me to have sympathy with that point of view. People that own very little and see themselves as having few opportunities aren't going to have alot of respect for private property rights on the margin.

Disagree if you went back a few generations it would be a completely different story. The older generation, the one incidentally that went through the most as far as discrimination goes, and did not have access to social programs would not condone the five finger discount for the most part. This phenomenon comes largely from juvenile delinquency, entitlement culture, and liberals trying to justify it in academia for the last two generations.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Disagree if you went back a few generations it would be a completely different story. The older generation, the one incidentally that went through the most as far as discrimination goes, and did not have access to social programs would not condone the five finger discount for the most part. This phenomenon comes largely from juvenile delinquency, entitlement culture, and liberals trying to justify it in academia for the last two generations.

"Entitlement culture"... what the heck is that? You mean like expecting some level of fairness in society? That's just normal human nature. When people perceive life as unfair, they see little reason to follow the rules, that's true regardless of "culture".

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The problem is these people are so rich and ignorant they can’t comprehend what motivates a criminal because they’ve been sheltered from that lifestyle, that’s why their guesses are far from the truth. It all boils down to two causes, criminals want something and they have a plan to attain it and get away with it without being caught. That’s all the motivation they need to act on. They see something they want, the next thing that comes to mind is how can I get it without being caught. It has nothing to do with COVID.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Entitlement culture"... what the heck is that? You mean like expecting some level of fairness in society? That's just normal human nature. When people perceive life as unfair, they see little reason to follow the rules, that's true regardless of "culture".
When there are no consequences many do--no consequences is the problem. The progressives are poisoning our society, they don't respect the rule of law unless it personally affects them.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'm talking precisely about the attitude you have. Liberals make a big deal out of the number of prisons we have, and the number of minorities imprisoned but if you basically preach that it is OK to act like an animal and to steal whenever you want are you not actually undermining your cause in the End?

By the way, expecting the World to be fair is a loosing proposition! As a former Buddhist and Christian you should know that! Even Malcom X with his racial animosity for the white man would not be on board with this sort of thing, and would be steering people away from committing crime and working on more positive things like encouraging discipline, self improvement and building community.

• Agree
Reactions: Valletta
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One suggestion for the recent rash is that these stores are currently packed with stock for the holiday season.
OK. But do you really think the stores are more packed than other years at this same time of year? From the supply chain reported problems I would think not. If you let the perpetrators out of jail before the police can even complete the paperwork, as the L.A. sheriff said, I think it is likely they will re-offend.

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That’s because they live in places where even America seems a good choice. But from any non-hell hole country it’s a very hard sell (unless one is very wealthy, obviously).
You can always leave and give the immigrants your place

Upvote 0