• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jehovah's Witnesses

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by AfterThought, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Would will you politely close the door and tell them you're busy

42.9%
  2. Would you invite them in to discuss Bible philosophy

57.1%
  1. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+1,371
    Seeker
    Single
    The JW's number one point seems to be that the end-is-near.

Well, as you point out, the end is indeed near!

2. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+1,026
    Anglican
    Married
    The thing is a talk with JW's is incapable of changing my belief. I suspect my talking to them is equally incapable of changing their belief. Engaging in conversation would be little more than mental gymnastics, which I consider to be a complete waste of my time. I prefer to spend my time where I have better odds of doing something good.

3. zephcom

zephcom Active Member

+150
    United States
    Deist
    Married
    The first two or three times they showed up I told them I wasn't interested and turned them away. The next time they showed up I politely informed them that they were not welcome on my property and if they ever come back I would have them arrested for trespassing. The driver of the van took my name and address and I haven't seen them since.

Even though I like to discuss religion issues, I absolutely hate to have people come to my house with the expectation that I am going to drop whatever it is I'm doing just so they can preach to me. The arrogance of that expectation is beyond belief.

4. Jane_Doe

Jane_Doe Well-Known Member

+591
    Mormon
    I love to talk about God with anyone, even if their beliefs are of a different than mine. Having someone literally show up on my doorstep for that purpose is a blessing. Obviously we believe differently, but that doesn't mean we can't have a pleasant conversation and we usually do.

5. DogmaHunter

DogmaHunter Code Monkey

+4,296
    Atheist
    In Relationship

Usually I don't even answer the door. And if they see me through the window, I make a "shoo" gesture.

Although twice I was in a fun mood and invited them in for coffee. Then I dropped some logic bombs on them.

That was a fun afternoon.

Other then that, I find them quite annoying.

6. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+2,005
    Christian
    Married
    While I respect the strength of JW's and Mormon's faith, I have no interest in apostasy. So I politely decline their company when they show up on my doorstep unannounced.

7. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+2,318
    Atheist
    Married
    I would tell them, politely (but assertively) that I'm not interested. And I'd ask if they have registered with the city, and point out my No Solicitation sticker. Fortunately, we get almost no door-to-door solicitors. My municipality has a very strict ordinance about it. Solicitors must have permits and there are time restrictions. The city provides No Solicitation stickers for front entrances that must be observed. I honestly can't remember the last time anybody trying to sell anything came to my door.

8. PreviouslySeeking...

PreviouslySeeking... Member

+197
    United States
    Deist
    Married
    I would tell them ours is a Buddhist home and to never, ever darken our doorstep again.

Some JWs came to our door about 2 weeks ago & ticked me off. They had looked up the property info for our street or looked at our mail and came prepared to speak my husband's native language. That is incredibly creepy and invasive. You could not guess my husband's nationality from his last name and we don't know our neighbors like that.

My husband answered the door and some (obviously) non native speaker addressed him in his milk tongue and offered him pamphlets in said tongue. My husband has been here for over 40 years and speaks English perfectly.

By attempting to be inclusive they made themselves appear quite shady.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. beloved7

beloved7 Evangelical Supporter

+211
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Personally I would tell them I'm a born again Christian, ask them to please read the book of John, and tell them that Jesus is God and then I'd pray for them.

10. AfterThought

AfterThought Thirst 4 knowledge

+13
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The Jehovah Witnesses that come to my parents house know the Bible very well
    You can tell they dedicated there life to their belief

11. beloved7

+211
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well they can't know it too well because they're non-Trinitarian. The bible doesn't make sense without the Trinity. God the Father commanding angels to worship Jesus, God refering to himself in the plural sense in Genesis, the mystery of the messiah being God in Isaiah, the entire book of John etc

12. AfterThought

+13
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I don't believe in everything they sell
    They believe the Jesus died on the stake and not the cross they're also conscientious objectors and Men honor the women in there words

13. beloved7

+211
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    It's more sinister than that, they serve Satan (though obviously unknowingly).

1 John 2:22

14. Cearbhall

Cearbhall Unitarian Universalist

+5,633
    United States
    Other Religion
    Single
    I wouldn't have to close the door, because I would never open it in the first place.

15. AfterThought

+13
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    But one thing we have in common is our religious Doctrine differs from most others
    But could they have worship the devil all the elders the devil I can't answer that

16. beloved7

+211
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Worship the devil... no. Serving the devil? Yes. Anyone that denies the Son is of the antichrist. Scripture is quite clear about that. I see them as the perfect mission field though; they have a heart for God and already have faith. Just very bad cult like theology. We need to reach out to them.

17. gordonhooker

gordonhooker Franciscan tssf Supporter

+426
    Anglican
    Married

Doesn’t make sense to you or me you mean.

18. gordonhooker

gordonhooker Franciscan tssf Supporter

+426
    Anglican
    Married
    Using your logic anyone who is not Christian serves the devil, what a load of rubbish.

19. Lilly54

Lilly54 Well-Known Member

+556
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship

20. Par5

Par5 Member

+111
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    It doesn't take long to suss out that the people at your door are JW's. Fortunately, I have a door that closes as quickly and easily as it opens.