USA
✟19,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For the last 2 years the Jehovah Witnesses have been coming to my parent's house
Because my dad is unable to attend church
Sometimes I sit in on the Bible studies
Even know what they believe in is different from what my family believes in
Is still the only way that he can studies the Bible
So if the Jehovah Witnesses come to your door randomly what would your response be I'm just curious

Last edited:

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
For the last 2 years the Jehovah Witnesses have been coming to my parent's house
So if the Jehovah Witnesses come to your door randomly what would your response be I'm just curious
I invited some in about two years ago and they have never ever come back. I think I asked too many good questions.

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It depends on how busy I am, but discussing the Bible with them rarely does any good. JWs spend up to 3 days a week in Bible training at their Kingdom Hall meetings. On one of those meetings days, they even practice door-to-door questions and responses. JWs don't necessary know their Bible better than most Christians, however, they are well trained in sales techniques and circular arguments. Any JW Bible study is a means to convert you to their faith, they have no real interest in a two way discussion, which puts their own beliefs to the test. The only way to really get through to them, which certainly doesn't always work, is to show them how the Watchtower organization falsifies or even lies about sources and all the doctrinal flip flops. If they loose faith in the Watchtower, the whole thing comes crashing down.

At the end of the day, the JWs are a cult and can't be considered Christian, even using the most liberal standards. I say this as one who grew up in this religion, though never baptized. Just be cautious....

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Honestly, I just scrunch down and pretend I'm not there. I don't own my own house yet, so it is not my place to let strangers in.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My family has a good friend who is Jehovah Witness. She often comes to my house and visits our family. She is a very kind woman and devout to God. I wish to be like her.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I invited a JW in a few years ago as a mark of solidarity in Christ Jesus. All he wanted to do was argue about our differences in spite of my efforts to steer things towards what we had in common. Unfortunate.
But I would still welcome the students of Jehovah in my home anytime.

Reactions: AfterThought
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

This is the best response I've heard of:

Reactions: AfterThought
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hi,
I like talking to them. I have learned a lot from them. But I make it clear that I will never become one, that I attend my own local Anglican church and that's that. They are pleasant enough.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
As a kid, the JW's would come to our home. My father was a very evil man, but he knew his bible. He had studied it and at one time wanted to be a preacher. Then He got mad at God for taking his eye--he had one glass eye. He would take the JW's bible, and out of it would show them where they were wrong. I don't know how he did it, I now wish I had paid more attention, but I wasn't interested in religion at the time. I just thought it was funny. They would be all confused by the time they left. Next time, another 2 would come--same thing. Finally, the church banned anyone from coming to our house. My father would have them so confused they wouldn't know what to think. Never again would they come.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
if the Jehovah Witnesses come to your door randomly what would your response be
It would depend on the circumstances and the people involved. Some of them are very nice, and quite open. I studied for two years with one like that; it was my introduction to the Bible. The one thing I couldn't swallow was Jesus not being God, however, and eventually I left off.

The last time JWs came to my door, I engaged them there, and did not let them in as they wanted. The lead guy was a higher-up who regularly gives speeches at their conventions. Yet he couldn't get to first base with me because I know the Word too well. The other guy was a mature adult, but new to knocking doors and probably to the religion as well, since the two are almost synonymous. When it was all over, the lead guy virtually stormed off in defeat, but the neophyte turned to me with a big smile, and extended his hand, which I warmly took. I felt really good about the whole thing. I had engaged them on my own terms, and brought their false arguments to nothing.

Before them, there was a young man handing out literature in a parking lot. I engaged him for about two minutes and went for the big issues. As I turned for the store, I glanced back - and saw him packing it in and getting in his car to leave.

I would point out to your dad that the canned questions at the bottom of their articles and books are no way to study the Bible. People need to search things out and ask their own questions. What's important to one may not be to the next. That's how we grow, not by rote indoctrination. I would prefer youtube videos to their method of studying. Or maybe your family could have its own studies, or someone's church would start one in their home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 18:20. It should always be an opportunity to learn together, by allowing The Holy Spirit to manifest and exchange value (Luke 19:13). I notice though, when discussing these matters with anyone at all, (of any religious or non-religious culture, especially those where the original leader has passed away), there comes an inevitable issue in the conversation where a specific false belief is so central to opposing philosophies, that without repentance unto truth it is impossible to have agreement. Of course, that is a belief that seems to threaten that one's sense of security or identity - raising fear and sin. It is not The Holy Spirit who is the author of such contention, and where one has yielded their faith to such a counterfeit spirit, that force is eager to raise the point of contention quickly so as to shut down The Holy Spirit's work (1 Corinthians 14:33, Philippians 3:15).

It can be difficult to converse sometimes, as some sacrifice is beneficial (Isaiah 53:5), but when it gets to the point of ultimatum between truth and lie (John 14:17 vs. John 8:44), then that's the crunch (1 John 4:6). So my conversations with missionaries are usually fairly nice to begin with, and short, ending without resolution but providing food for thought and opportunity for growth :)

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I kind of love the Jehovah's Witnesses. I don't let them in or engage with them though because I don't want to join a cult. As a child they visited with my mother who was no doubt terribly lonely and isolated and often in a depression. Our Bible was the JW translation and I had the Children's Book of Bible Stories which I loved. We never joined the cult itself (we attended Methodist and Evangelical churches sporadically) but my mother always accepted the Watchtower booklets and I liked them a lot. I seem to recall other JW books as a teenager and recall that I considered joining them. I joined a different cult in the end and am now fully back to Christianity but I don't know which church to go to and am pretty isolated here in this foreign land. I know that I am at high risk of joining a cult (because reasons) so I just don't engage with the JW's. I dunno I just have so much sentimentality towards them and I always loved their literature but I know that too many things are 'not right' with it all. I wouldn't be able to argue well with them because I don't stand firmly enough in the Bible yet, having been away from the Christian path for some time.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess I'd listen to them on the condition that I may witness to them about the Church after.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,465.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Nowadays in the U.K. At least you tend to see them standing with their leaflets in a stand on the high street rather than going door to door. I'm more likely to receive a visit from Mormon missionaries, enthusiastic Americans usually.

• Informative
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

AfterThought

Thirst 2 Given & Know
Apr 11, 2016
USA
✟19,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where's the poll option for discuss Bible philosophy on the porch and NOT invite them in?

(Thats what I do)
I did not think of that for the poll
But that's what we did at first then as we got to know them we invited them in during the winter

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Funny ive never gotten that far with them.. they're usually backed well away from the door by the time I open it & look ready to run... They practically look for an excuse to move on.

Maybe its the 85lb German shepherd & the 250lb Mastiff having a conniption fit behind me?.... (they really hate when people ring the doorbell....)

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Likely I am older than many of you. As I age, I have come to believe the most precious commodity I have is time. I am running out of it. There are things I want to do with the remaining time of my life, and talking to Jehovah Witnesses doesn't make the list. I politely tell them I am not interested and wish them "Good Day."

Upvote 0