Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A good Christian friend of mine would often sit down with JWs when they came to his door and spend time sharing the Gospel with them and presenting them with historical Christianity. He was actually able on one occasion to get them to agree to give him a copy of their "cheat sheet" of questions. Here are the questions they typically use:

“If Jesus is really God…”

1. Why is Jesus called the “firstborn or all creation” – Colossians 1:15, Revelation 3:14
2. Why did he say “the Father is greater than I am?” – John 14:28
3. Why does the Bible say that Christ’s “mental attitude” was that he was NOT “equal to God?” – Phil 2:5,6
4. Why did Jesus say at John 6:57, “I live because of the Father?” If Jesus is God why would he need “the Father” to give him life?
5. At Heb 5:9 the Bible says that Jesus was “made PERFECT.” Is not God already perfect? In what respects was Jesus “made perfect?”
6. Why on the night of Jesus’ birth did angels say to the shepherds, “Glory in the heights ABOVE to God” when Jesus was born down here on earth? If Jesus is God why give “glory” to God “ABOVE?” – Luke 2:14
7. Why does the Bible say that Jesus PROGRESSED “in WISDOM” … and “in favor WITH GOD and men?” Is not God already All Wise? And why would Jesus have to find “favor” WITH GOD if he is God? = Like 2:52, Rom 16:27
8. Why did Jesus say he did not come of his “own initiative”, but was “sent forth?” Who sent him? John 5:20, 8:26&38, 7:16&28-29&33, 8:42, 13:16, 15:21, 20:21
9. Why did Jesus say that “the Father” “shows him all the things he himself does” if Jesus is God? Does God need to be shown anything? And why did Jesus speak the things he “HEARD from” his Father? Would he not already know them? John 5:20, 8:26&38, 14:24, 15:15
10. Why did Jesus tell his hearers at John 8:40 that he told “the truth” that he “HEARD from God” if he is God?
11. If Jesus is God why did he say at John 5:19 & 8:28, “the Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative”? Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God CANNOT do a “single thing of HIS own initiative.” However, Jesus did state at Matt 19:26, “with God ALL things are possible.” So God CAN and DOES do things of HIS own initiative.
12. Why at Heb 5:10 does the Bible say that Jesus was “specifically called by God” if he was already God?
13. If Jesus is God why would God have to “anoint” him and how could God’s “spirit” be upon him? – Luke 4:18
14. Why does the Bible say that Jesus “kept on COMMITTING himself to the one who judges righteously?” Why would Jesus have to commit himself to anyone if he is God? And if Jesus is God isn’t HE “the one who judges righteously”? – 1 Peter 2:23
15. Why would Jesus say that his Father “assigned” him work to “accomplish” and “dispatched” him to do that work? –John 5:36, 17:4
16. If Jesus is God, why did he say “I am observing HIS word?” Who’s word? –John 8:55
17. Why did Jesus at John 8:28 say “just as the Father TAUGHT ME I speak these things?” Does God need to be taught anything?
18. In Rom 15:3 the Bible says “For even Christ did not please himself.” Who did he please and why? For the answer go to John 8:29.
19. If Jesus is God why did he say “I have observed the COMMANDMENTS of the Father?” – John 15:10
20. Why was it necessary for Jesus to “learn obedience” and who was he obedient to? And if Jesus was God why would he have to obey anyone? – Heb 5:8, John 15:10, 14:31, Rom 5:19
21. If Jesus is God why did he say that he came as his “Father’s representative?” – John 7:29, 16:27, 17:8
22. Why did Jesus say “MY FOOD is to do the WILL of HIM that SENT ME and to finish HIS WORK?” And “I seek not MY own will but the WILL of him that SENT me?” And “I have come down from heaven to do NOT MY WILL but the will of HIM that SENT me”, if Jesus is God? – John 4:34, 5:30, 6:38
23. Who’s voice did Jesus hear at the time of his baptism saying “This is my son who I have APPROVED”? Does God need approval? Was Jesus speaking to himself? And why would God need to put his “seal of approval” on him? - Matt 3:17, John 6:27
24. Why does the Bible at John 5:20 say that “The Father has affection for the Son?” If Jesus is God why does he need to have affection for himself? And shows him all the things he himself does?
25. Why did Jesus call his followers his “brothers”, when God is called “our Father”? – Heb 2:12,17, Matt 6:9, John 20:17
26. At John 17:6 Jesus said that God “gave” him men out of the world. “They were yours and you gave them to me.” How could people be GIVEN to Jesus if he is God? Didn’t we already belong to God?
27. Who appointed Jesus “heir of all things?” Could anyone APPOINT God? And if Jesus is god why is he called an “heir” and what is he an “heir” of? - Heb 1:2
28. Why did Jesus say that neither he nor “the angels of heaven” knew the “day and hour” of the “Great Tribulation” but only God knew? If Jesus is God would he not know all thigns? Matt 24:36
29. Why does the Bible say that “NO man has seen God at any time” even though Jesus lived and walked among mankind? And why did Jesus tell his listeners that they had “neither heard” God’s “voice nor seen his figure” even though Jesus was present on earth with them? – John 1:18, John 5:27, 6:46
30. At Exodus 33:20 God said “No man may see me and yet live.” So if Jesus is God why did people not die when they looked at him?
31. When Jesus was “flesh and resided among us” why would he say that “God IS a SPIRIT” if he was God? – John 1:14, 4:24
32. Who did Jesus address his prayers to? If Jesus is God why would he pray to himself, even praying all night at least on one occasion? And who answered his prayers? – Luke 6:12, John 11:41-42
33. If Jesus is God why does the Bible say that he was “FAVORABLY heard” by God? – Heb 5:7
34. Why did Jesus “THANK” God for hearing his prayer if he himself is God? John 11:41
35. Why did Jesus say at John 3:35 that “The Father loves the son and has given all things into his hand”? Why would he say the Father loves him if he and the Father are one and the same? And why would the Father need to “GIVE things into his hand”? – John 6:37, 17:2,7-8
36. At John 10:17 Jesus said “This is why the Father love me because I surrender my soul.” And at John 15:10 Jesus said “I observed the commandments of the Father and remain in His love.” If Jesus is God why would he love himself because he surrenders his soul or observed commandments?
37. Why would Jesus teach his disciples to pray to God “IN THE HEAVENS”? Why would he teach them to say God, “Let YOUR name be sanctified. Let YOUR kingdom come. Let YOUR will take place”? And why would Jesus say to God “I have given them YOUR word”, if Jesus is God? -John 17:18, Matt 6:9
38. Why did Jesus say that God had GIVEN him “a COMMANDMENT as to what to TELL and WHAT TO SPEAK”? Doesn’t God already know what to speak? And can anyone COMMAND God? – John 12:49-50
39. If Jesus is God why would he need God’s “power” “to do healing”? Would Jesus not already be ALL POWERFUL? – Luke 5:17
40. When a “certain ruler” questioned Jesus calling him “Good Teacher” why did Jesus say “nobody is good, except one, God”? If Jesus is God why would he strongly object to the title of “Good”? – Luke 18:19
41. If Jesus is God how could Satan tempt him with “all the kingdoms of the world”? Does not God already own “all the kingdoms of the world”? And if Jesus is God how could Satan tempt Jesus with anything? - Matt 4:1-11, Luke 4:1-13
42. Why does the Bible say that Jesus “has been tested in all respects”? For what purpose would God need to test himself? And who would be the one to determine if he passed the test?
43. Why is Jesus called the “lamb of God” and not God the Lamb? – John 1:29
44. If Jesus is God, why did he tell his followers that he is “the true vine” and his “Father is the cultivator” if they are one? – John 15:1
45. If Jesus is God why did he say “The witness of TWO men is true. I am one that bears witness” … “and the Father who sent me bears witness”?...and “if I alone bear witness about myself, my witness is not true. There is ANOTHER that bears witness about me”? If Jesus is God why does he need other one to bears witness about him? And why would not his witness alone be true? – John 5:31-32, 8:17-18
46. When James and John asked Jesus if they could sit at his right or left hand in heaven why did he say “It is NOT MINE to give, but it belongs to those whom it has been prepared BY MY FATHER.” If Jesus is God could he not assign positions as HE saw fit? – Matt 20:23
47. If Jesus is God how could he be “made a little lower than angels”? – Heb 2:9
48. If Jesus is God, why would he have to “make supplication” to God in behalf of PETER that Peter’s “faith not give out”? Could not Jesus strengthen Peter? - Luke 22:31, 32
49. At Isaiah 40:28 the Bible says that “God” “does not tire out or grow weary”, yet at John 4:6 it says that “Jesus” was “tired out from the journey”. If Jesus is God and is able to give us power how is it that he was tired?
50. Why does the Bible say that Jesus had “godly FEAR”? Does God FEAR anyone or anything? – Heb 5:7

(continued)

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
(continuing)

51. Why did Jesus PETITION GOD for help “with STRONG OUTCRIES and TEARS” if he is God? – Heb 5:7
52. If Jesus is God why did he say that he could “APPEAL” to his Father “to supply” him with “more than twelve legions of angels” to protect him? Is not God Almighty? Why would he need angels to protect him? – Matt 26:53
53. If Jesus is God why did he pray so intensely that his “sweat became as drops of blood?” –Luke 22:44
54. Why did Jesus need an angel to “strengthen him”? Does God need to be strengthened? Luke 22:43
55. Why did Jesus beg God “to SAVE HIM our of death”? Did he not have the power to save himself? – John 12:27, Heb 5:7
56. Why would he say in prayer “IF IT IS POSSIBLE let this cup pass away from me”? If Jesus is God would he not have the power to make it possible? – Matt 26:39, Mark 10:26
57. Why did Jesus say “my God why have you forsaken me”? How could God forsake himself? – Matt 27:46, Mark 15:34
58. If Jesus is God why would he give his “life as a ransom in exchange for many”? And who would the “ransom” price be paid to? Can God die? If Jesus is God how could he give his life? – Matt 20:28, Acts 2:24
59. Why does the Bible say “O Jehovah”…”you do not die”? If Jesus is God how could he die? And how can God grant us everlasting life if his life was taken in death? How could the universe and life be sustained if God were dead? – Hab. 1:12, Rom 5:8
60. Who “resurrected” Jesus “from the dead”? If Jesus is God how could God raise himself up from the dead “on the third day”? And who granted Jesus “to become manifest”? – Acts 2:24, 3:15, 4:10, 5:30, 10:40, 13:30&33, 17:31
61. after he was raised from the dead why does the Bible say that “he has BECOME better than the angels”? And why does it say “he has INHERITED a name MORE EXCELLENT than theirs”? Was not God already better than his angels? – Heb 1:4
62. If Jesus is God why does the Bible at John 5:26 say that God “granted the Son to have life in himself”? Why would God have to GIVE Jesus life? Did not God already have life in himself?
63. How could Jesus be “EXALTED to a SUPERIOR position” if he is God? Is not God “the Supreme One”? And how could Jesus be “EXALTED” as “CHIEF AGENT” if he is already God? – Philippians 2:9,19, Dan 7:22, Acts 5:31
64. Why did Jesus at John 5:22&27 say that God “committed all judging to the Son” and gave the Son “authority to do judging” if he is God? Did not God already have “authority to do judging”?
65. When Jesus told Mary “I and ascending to MY GOD and YOUR GOD.” If Jesus is God who was Jesus referring to when he said MY GOD? – John 20:17, Matt 27:46, Mark 15:34
66. If Jesus is God why did he say “I will make him a pillar in the temple of MY GOD?” and “I will write upon him THE NAME of MY GOD”? What is the name of Jesus’ God? – Rev 3:12, John 17:26, Rev 1:5,6
67. At John 17:3 Jesus said in prayer to his Father, “This means everlasting life there taking in knowledge of you the only true God.” If Jesus is God why did he say “YOU the ONLY TRUE GOD”?
68. How is it that Christ ENTERED “into a holy place” … “to APPEAR before the person of God for us” if he is God? How would God appear before himself? – Heb 9:24
69. If the high priest’s role was to direct us to God and to intercede for us to God in our behalf, why was Jesus called a “high priest”? And who is Jesus a “high priest” to? – Heb 5:10
70. If Jesus is God how is he a “propitiatory sacrifice for our sins”? Who was his sacrifice made to? – 1 John 2:2
71. If Jesus is God why after he was raised from the dead did Stephen have a vision of “the heavens opened up” and Jesus “standing at God’s right hand” and not sitting on God’s throne? And why was he referred to as “Son of man” and not God? – Acts 5:31, 7:55,56
72. How could Jesus “sit at God’s right hand” until God makes Jesus’ “enemies a stool for his feet” if he is God? – Heb 1:13, 8:1, Acts 2:33-35, Psalms 110:1
73. If Jesus is God, how is he the “mediator between God and man”? How could Jesus be “between God and man” and be God at the same time? 1 Timothy 2:5
74. And why does the Bible at Gal 3:20 say “there is no mediator where only one person is concerned, but God is only one”? How could Jesus be the “mediator” if he and God are “one”?
75. If Jesus is God why did apostle Paul at Rom 1:8 say “I give thanks to my God through Jesus Christ” and not “I give thanks to my God Jesus”? If Jesus is God why did Paul say TO GOD, “THROUGH JESUS”?
76. How is it that God made “a COVENANT” with Jesus “for a kingdom”? Why would God make a covenant with himself? – Luke 22:29
77. Why does the Bible say that Jesus “went his way to heaven, and angels and powers and authorities were MADE subject to him”? Who MADE them SUBJECT to Jesus? Did not God already have angels and authorities subject to himself? Is not God Almighty with powers already subject to him? – 1 Pet 3:22
78. Why does the Bible say that Jesus was given “the throne of David his father”? Is God’s father “David”? Why would he sit on David’s throne and not God’s throne? And why would God need to be “GIVEN rulership”? Does not God have the power to be “ruler” over all things? – Daniel 7:13,14, Luke 1:32, Acts 2:29-30
79. Who GAVE Jesus “all authority”? – Matt 28:12
80. If Jesus is God why did he need God to “place” his “enemies as a stool for” his “feet”? – Acts 2:34-35, Heb 10:12-13
81. Why does the Bible say that “the head of every man is Christ” … “the head of Christ is God”? Does God need a head over himself? Who could be head over God? – 1 Cor 11:3
82. What does it mean when the Bible says that “God MADE” Jesus “both Lord and Christ”? – Acts 2:36
83. Why did Jesus say at John 8:54 “If I glorify myself my glory is nothing. It is my Father that glorifies me”? If Jesus is God why would it be nothing if he glorified himself? And why would the glory from his Father be superior if they are equal? – Heb 5:5, John 13:31-32, 17:24
84. Why does the Bible at Acts 3:13 say that God “glorified his Servant Jesus”? If Jesus is God how could he be God’s Servant?
85. Why is Jesus referred to as a “foundation cornerstone”, “chose, precious, with God”? What need would there be for him to be “chosen precious, with God” if he is God? And what is he a “cornerstone” of? – 1 Pet 2:4,6
86. If Jesus is God why does the Bible say that he was “decreed BY GOD TO BE JUDGE of the living and the dead”? Was not God already the JUDGE of the living and the dead? – Acts 10:42, 17:31
87. Why is Jesus called a “Faithful Witness”? Who is he a “Faithful Witness” of? – Rev 1:5
88. How is it that God GAVE Jesus “a Revelation” … “to show his slave the things that must shortly take place”? If Jesus is God why would God have to reveal the future to himself? Would he not already know the future? – Rev 1:1
89. If Jesus is God why would he “hand over the kingdom to HIS GOD the Father”? Why would Jesus not be king forever? If Jesus is God why would the kingdom not be his to keep? Does not God own all things? -1 Cor 15:24, Isaiah 45:12
90. Why does the Bible say that after Jesus was raised from the dead “the Son himself will” “SUBJECT HIMSELF” to God? If Jesus is God why would he subject himself to anyone? Is not God superior to everyone? 1 Cor 15:28

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the places I turn to with Jehovah's Witnesses is Romans 10. When you restore the tetragrammaton to these verses they get very interesting indeed.

if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him [YHWH in OT, but in Romans 10, Jesus] will not be put to shame." For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord [Jesus] is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For "everyone who calls on the name of YHWH [Greek: the Lord, ie, Jesus] will be saved." How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "YHWH [Greek: the Lord, ie, Jesus], who has believed what he has heard from us?" So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
One of the places I turn to with Jehovah's Witnesses is Romans 10. When you restore the tetragrammaton to these verses they get very interesting indeed.

if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him [YHWH in OT, but in Romans 10, Jesus] will not be put to shame." For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord [Jesus] is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For "everyone who calls on the name of YHWH [Greek: the Lord, ie, Jesus] will be saved." How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "YHWH [Greek: the Lord, ie, Jesus], who has believed what he has heard from us?" So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

I like that!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0