Jehovah's Witnesses Banned In Moscow

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
Bans on Jehovah's Witnesses always backfire. More interest and a desire to understand their beliefs more thoroughly, is generated.

Their preaching of the good news of the Kingdom as prophesied at Matthew 24:14 will continue with letup.

The childish pranks played by the Russian Orthodox Church will not go unoticed by the true God Jehovah.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Glacial said:
I agree. Now we just need to ban the Christians, and we'll be well on our way! ;)

Nah, ban Atheism and and you'll no longer have them coming to something called 'Christian Forums' looking for, uhm, 'conversation.' Yeah, that's what its called by you guys I think. ;)

As for the topic, I'm Orthodox, so maybe that's why I have a lil' bias in regards to the Witness's. :p

Upvote 0

AsburyJuke

Feb 19, 2004
✟8,123.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Banning them might be a good thing.. I'm sure they put more people off religion than they convert.

It's like double glazing salespeople, when you want windows you'll make the call yourself. Sure a few will buy, but many who were thinking about it will be put off out of irritation.

Besides, it's not safe - a lot of people use ploys like that to get into homes and rob people. A man's home is his castle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisEagle

Senior Veteran
Feb 26, 2004
✟10,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just for the record, Jehovah's Witnesses aren't the only Christian group that goes door to door. In fact, I've been visited more by people of non-denominational Christian churches than I ever have the Witnesses. Although I WILL admit one time they came up to me while I was sitting in my car in the parking lot where I work! I thought that was really odd.

I generally don't mind the Witnesses. In fact, my aunt and uncle are Witnesses. JWs can be some of the nicest, well mannered, well dressed people I know. That doesn't mean I agree with all their beliefs, but it honestly is no different than a Baptist disagreeing with a Catholic.

Upvote 0

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm surprised at how many people are supporting this. I'm not a JW, I don't agree with the teachings of JW, but to ban them is simple wrong. Any of you ever heard of freedom of religion? Obviously they don't have that in Russia, but that is NOT a good thing. For those of us who are christian, many of us complain about how christians are treated in Islamic countries. How we're not free to worship our God, and to let others know of who we worship, yet you want to deny the same right to JW's.

Hypocrites, the lot of you.

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0

HisEagle

Senior Veteran
Feb 26, 2004
✟10,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Marissa said:
I'm surprised at how many people are supporting this. I'm not a JW, I don't agree with the teachings of JW, but to ban them is simple wrong. Any of you ever heard of freedom of religion? Obviously they don't have that in Russia, but that is NOT a good thing. For those of us who are christian, many of us complain about how christians are treated in Islamic countries. How we're not free to worship our God, and to let others know of who we worship, yet you want to deny the same right to JW's.

Hypocrites, the lot of you.

I beg your pardon. I certainly hope you are not including me in that "lot".

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anyone here think it's fair to deny a child a life-saving blood transfusion because the parents don't believe in it? Freedom of religion extends only until it infringes on someone else's rights. For instance, if I start a religion that calls for a weekly carjacking, my church isn't going to be allowed to carjack someone every Thursday just because we are a church. You can't commit neglegent homicide of children just because you are a church either.

The article is misleading. Catholicism wasn't listed as an allowed religion in Russia, but there are Catholic churches there. Notice there were three non-Christian religions officially allowed as well. So, it's not a vast Orthodox conspiracy to do away with any and all heterodox churches. Maybe instead of jumping to that conclusion, they could have taken the court's word for their reasoning behind the decision.

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh whatever - anyone ever heard of freedom of speech? Just b/c you don't agree with them and just b/c you don't believe in what they believe, doesn't mean they should be banned. IMO - that is just WRONG. If that's the case, let's ban all the things in the world that we don't agree with............

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I always find it a bit humorous when christian missionaries go to Russia. My russian connections always say, "We've been Christian for more then 1000 years. Are you joking?" *snorts and giggles* (of course, imagine that with a thick russian accent).

These competing forms of christianity are dizzying. And I must confess, if I had not accepted Islam, I probably would have become orthodox. Tradition tradition tradition. (not that this is an invitation to convert me, of course)

Upvote 0

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
ufonium2 said:
Anyone here think it's fair to deny a child a life-saving blood transfusion because the parents don't believe in it? Freedom of religion extends only until it infringes on someone else's rights.
Anyone here think it's fair to abort a living baby in a womb? (What was the religion of those that passed that law?)

Anyone here think it's fair to raise your child with the expectation of him or her of becoming a soldier, so that they can kill and wound other people? (What is the religion of those that do?)

Anyone here think it's fair for parents to smoke cigarrettes in the presence of their children? (What is the religion of those that do?)

Anyone here think it's fair to circumcise a baby boy or girl? (What is the religion of those that do?)

Anyone here think it's fair to strap explosives to a teenage child and send him off into a crowd? (What is the religion of those that do?)

Etc, etc.

Just ban all religions?

Upvote 0

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
Memes said:
False prophets should be excluded wherever they are found out, it's our god given job.

memes
Who are the false prophets?
Moslems? Jews? Hindus? Mormons? Buddhists? Christian Scientists? Bai Hai?
Greek Othodox?

Should they be excluded in your country? Do you actively engage in worldly politics to outlaw religious groups that you do not agree with?

Get rid of them all, but keep M-TV?

Upvote 0