Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some random guy is walking home from work at 4am and crosses the street in the middle of the block, so some cops decide to stop him about it. He does it again, and they harass him again. He gets exasperated, cops try to arrest him, he runs, cops tazer and beat him.

Video shows Asheville police officer beating man suspected of jaywalking, trespassing

No, he shouldn't have run, but why the heck are cops harassing somebody over jaywalking on an empty street at 4am?

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Some random guy is walking home from work at 4am and crosses the street in the middle of the block, so some cops decide to stop him about it. He does it again, and they harass him again. He gets exasperated, cops try to arrest him, he runs, cops tazer and beat him.

Video shows Asheville police officer beating man suspected of jaywalking, trespassing

No, he shouldn't have run, but why the heck are cops harassing somebody over jaywalking on an empty street at 4am?
:eek:Glad jaywalking is not illegal in the UK.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Indeed, in the UK it is legal for pedestrians to not only cross anywhere, but to walk on the road.

Upvote 0

nanlm3

Christian
Jul 25, 2012
✟12,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

You’re right.... DON’T Run. Don’t resist. Be respectful. Police are suppose to question suspicion. If he had nothing to hide, a simple conversation with the police would’ve ended quite differently. Then he could have thanked them for checking on his well being and went on his way.
I was questioned by Officers while walking late at night(2am) in a small town. Politely, I gave them my name & d.o.b (ID was at home) told them my knife was in my pocket( I pushed it out of my pocket from the outside, always keeping my hands in full view) they ran my name and within a few minutes they knew I was telling the truth, I was okay and was not a threat, then we chatted, shook hands and I thanked them for checking on me.

This also happened to my 27yr old son in a busy city. At first the police was rather rude with him, pushy, confrontational, accusing. However, my son had nothing to hide. He remained respectful, calm and polite. After they ran his name/d.o.b., they said thank you and continued on their way.

Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
And to rub it in road fatalities are far less as well.

probably more to do with the fact that americans can't really drive worth a fig. turn signals are mostly optional or just left on all the time. pedestrian crossings mean nothing. running a red light meh.

• Haha
Reactions: Tanj
Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
You’re right.... DON’T Run. Don’t resist. Be respectful. Police are suppose to question suspicion. If he had nothing to hide, a simple conversation with the police would’ve ended quite differently. Then he could have thanked them for checking on his well being and went on his way.
I was questioned by Officers while walking late at night(2am) in a small town. Politely, I gave them my name & d.o.b (ID was at home) told them my knife was in my pocket( I pushed it out of my pocket from the outside, always keeping my hands in full view) they ran my name and within a few minutes they knew I was telling the truth, I was okay and was not a threat, then we chatted, shook hands and I thanked them for checking on me.

This also happened to my 27yr old son in a busy city. At first the police was rather rude with him, pushy, confrontational, accusing. However, my son had nothing to hide. He remained respectful, calm and polite. After they ran his name/d.o.b., they said thank you and continued on their way.

that's idealistically naive. police have harassed people for no reason whatsoever other than a power trip to smear their authority in others faces.

Upvote 0

nanlm3

Christian
Jul 25, 2012
✟12,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
that's idealistically naive. police have harassed people for no reason whatsoever other than a power trip to smear their authority in others faces.
Sadly, that is true. Those Officers need to be reprimanded, have further training and/or be terminated. My responsibility is to control my words and actions. Should a report be filed due to an Officer’s harassment, I can rest, knowing I complied with their request.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
probably more to do with the fact that americans can't really drive worth a fig. turn signals are mostly optional or just left on all the time. pedestrian crossings mean nothing. running a red light meh.

Try Driving in Vietnam.

Back on topic, there was a massive police presence in Melbourne a few weeks ago with the sole aim, apparently, of reducing Jaywalking.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The way to get rid of some of this harassment is to get rid of these nuisance laws used to harass people.

Talking about your own positive experiences with police is nothing more than a dismissive tactic to deny the experience someone else has had. Many people of color have negative experiences with the police regardless of whether they complied or not. If you read the DOJ reports on police departments across the country, the behavior seen in this video is not an aberration. Our response should not be to suddenly make this about ourselves and say since nothing happened to me, I don't see how it can happen to someone else (e.g., I'm not going to minimize a woman's experience with street harassment by saying I have never been harassed on the street).

The only way we change things is to stop minimizing and dismissing these experiences because they are not an aberration and those that are targeted by such police overreach reflects systemic issues of race we have in this country.

Upvote 0

nanlm3

Christian
Jul 25, 2012
✟12,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The way to get rid of some of this harassment is to get rid of these nuisance laws used to harass people.

Talking about your own positive experiences with police is nothing more than a dismissive tactic to deny the experience someone else has had. Many people of color have negative experiences with the police regardless of whether they complied or not. If you read the DOJ reports on police departments across the country, the behavior seen in this video is not an aberration. Our response should not be to suddenly make this about ourselves and say since nothing happened to me, I don't see how it can happen to someone else (e.g., I'm not going to minimize a woman's experience with street harassment by saying I have never been harassed on the street).

The only way we change things is to stop minimizing and dismissing these experiences because they are not an aberration and those that are targeted by such police overreach reflects systemic issues of race we have in this country.
Minimizing or dismissing was not my intention at all, my apologies if it sounded that way.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Try Driving in Vietnam.

Back on topic, there was a massive police presence in Melbourne a few weeks ago with the sole aim, apparently, of reducing Jaywalking.

I'm not necessarily opposed to policing of jaywalking, but if you're going to do that, do it intelligently. I have a hard time seeing how busting a guy on an empty street in the wee hours of the morning is effective policing.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not necessarily opposed to policing of jaywalking, but if you're going to do that, do it intelligently. I have a hard time seeing how busting a guy on an empty street in the wee hours of the morning is effective policing.

Well, on the flip side, if the only crime going on in your city at 4am in the morning is jaywalking, that's probably a good sign.

More seriously, every now and then police do...stuff. I once had a plice car tail me at 4 in the morning from a friends place where I was visiting to my home. Didn't pull me over, drove past when I got home. Freaky stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums