New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I know the title is sort of clickbait, but I feel like this is a rather humorous subject that needs to be addressed.

I happen to be a fan of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. (Please don't crucify me.) I feel the prequels were given a bad rap, largely by older fans and hipsters who feel that it strayed too far from the original feel of Star Wars. I'm not going to go into that, because I think all of Lucas's Star Wars movies are good and everyone has the right to have a favorite.

But one pervading thing sticks out among the dislike for the prequels, and that is Kermit the Frog... I mean, Jar-Jar Binks. People hate Jar-Jar. They say he's obnoxious, stupid, and adds nothing to the story.

But I say that Jar-Jar is a good character. Why? Because he was meant to be obnoxious and stupid.:noooo:

As an aspiring author, I dislike when people tell an original content creator "that shouldn't be in there", because if you're making your own fantasy or sci-fi story, you have the right to make it however you like. Sure, Jar-Jar may be obnoxious and rather two-dimensional in his personality. But he was designed to be the obnoxious comic relief, and (to my great sadness) comic relief characters rarely have much actual depth in movies. While I'm already angering everyone, let's just list off most comical Disney sidekicks under this category. Most of them, like Jar-Jar, have very little beyond their comedy routine, and usually remain awkwardly silent or altogether absent during sadder or darker scenes. And yes, I'm comparing Pumbaa and Timon to Jar-Jar Binks. Rage. Rage with the fury of a thousand suns! Ha ha ha ha ha!:hahaha::destroy:

But seriously, the only time a character is actually bad is when they don't fulfill the artist's intended purpose. Pumbaa and Timon aren't meant to be deep and emotionally conflicted. They're meant to be lighthearted and upbeat. So while I wish Disney would more accurately portray their sidekicks, I cannot launch an actual complaint against their characters. They may be a bit two-dimensional, but that's what Disney was going for. And so long as the character fulfills their role, they aren't a bad character.

Equally, Jar-Jar is no worse a character than Pumbaa or Timon. Is he obnoxious? Yes. Is he a moron? Absolutely. Does he add anything beyond comic relief and goofy hijinks? Not really. But he was as Lucas designed him to be. And sadly, some people in real life are similar; obnoxious and rather shallow. So it's not a stretch to believe that there could really be a moron Frogger making Jedi Knights wish they could turn to the dark side.

And yes, I know some people thought the accent was stupid. But let's face it, it's not too far off from an Italian accent, and only a jerk would insult an actual person's accent.

Also, people think Jar-Jar just makes things seem weird and goofy. But they forget that (A.) This is George Lucas's world, not theirs, and he can make it weird and goofy if he wants, and (B.) this is the same guy who had Imperial stormtroopers getting their rumps handed to them by tribal teddy bears and who designed the Jabba's Palace scene with that creepy frog singer with the long lips.:bbrr: I still have nightmares....

So feel free to dislike Jar-Jar. He's meant to annoy you, after all. But that doesn't make him a poorly-made character. If anything, the hate Jar-Jar gets proves that he's doing his job, and doing it very well.

Also, if you are a Star Wars nerd and wish to rage or "ActuallySquad" me in the comments, feel free. All your salt will keep me from getting a sodium deficiency.:ahah:

Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,229.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yesssss
Okay, I know the title is sort of clickbait, but I feel like this is a rather humorous subject that needs to be addressed.

I happen to be a fan of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. (Please don't crucify me.) I feel the prequels were given a bad rap, largely by older fans and hipsters who feel that it strayed too far from the original feel of Star Wars. I'm not going to go into that, because I think all of Lucas's Star Wars movies are good and everyone has the right to have a favorite.

But one pervading thing sticks out among the dislike for the prequels, and that is Kermit the Frog... I mean, Jar-Jar Binks. People hate Jar-Jar. They say he's obnoxious, stupid, and adds nothing to the story.

But I say that Jar-Jar is a good character. Why? Because he was meant to be obnoxious and stupid.:noooo:

As an aspiring author, I dislike when people tell an original content creator "that shouldn't be in there", because if you're making your own fantasy or sci-fi story, you have the right to make it however you like. Sure, Jar-Jar may be obnoxious and rather two-dimensional in his personality. But he was designed to be the obnoxious comic relief, and (to my great sadness) comic relief characters rarely have much actual depth in movies. While I'm already angering everyone, let's just list off most comical Disney sidekicks under this category. Most of them, like Jar-Jar, have very little beyond their comedy routine, and usually remain awkwardly silent or altogether absent during sadder or darker scenes. And yes, I'm comparing Pumbaa and Timon to Jar-Jar Binks. Rage. Rage with the fury of a thousand suns! Ha ha ha ha ha!:hahaha::destroy:

But seriously, the only time a character is actually bad is when they don't fulfill the artist's intended purpose. Pumbaa and Timon aren't meant to be deep and emotionally conflicted. They're meant to be lighthearted and upbeat. So while I wish Disney would more accurately portray their sidekicks, I cannot launch an actual complaint against their characters. They may be a bit two-dimensional, but that's what Disney was going for. And so long as the character fulfills their role, they aren't a bad character.

Equally, Jar-Jar is no worse a character than Pumbaa or Timon. Is he obnoxious? Yes. Is he a moron? Absolutely. Does he add anything beyond comic relief and goofy hijinks? Not really. But he was as Lucas designed him to be. And sadly, some people in real life are similar; obnoxious and rather shallow. So it's not a stretch to believe that there could really be a moron Frogger making Jedi Knights wish they could turn to the dark side.

And yes, I know some people thought the accent was stupid. But let's face it, it's not too far off from an Italian accent, and only a jerk would insult an actual person's accent.

Also, people think Jar-Jar just makes things seem weird and goofy. But they forget that (A.) This is George Lucas's world, not theirs, and he can make it weird and goofy if he wants, and (B.) this is the same guy who had Imperial stormtroopers getting their rumps handed to them by tribal teddy bears and who designed the Jabba's Palace scene with that creepy frog singer with the long lips.:bbrr: I still have nightmares....

So feel free to dislike Jar-Jar. He's meant to annoy you, after all. But that doesn't make him a poorly-made character. If anything, the hate Jar-Jar gets proves that he's doing his job, and doing it very well.

Also, if you are a Star Wars nerd and wish to rage or "ActuallySquad" me in the comments, feel free. All your salt will keep me from getting a sodium deficiency.:ahah:
dude im 20 today but i watched all old star wars soo much better i love r2d2 and c3po jar jar is soo awesome

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,229.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

best part im playing star wars on my xbox one

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Equally, Jar-Jar is no worse a character than Pumbaa or Timon. Is he obnoxious? Yes. Is he a moron? Absolutely. Does he add anything beyond comic relief and goofy hijinks? Not really.

Hmm, I don't think Timon and Pumbaa are obnoxious, moronic, or tangential.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm, I don't think Timon and Pumbaa are obnoxious, moronic, or tangential.

Oops. Didn't mean for it to be read that way.:confused: What I was saying was that Pumbaa and Timon fulfill their role the same way Jar-Jar does, albeit in a different way. I personally find nearly all the Disney sidekicks not emotionally deep enough for my preferences, but then again, we wouldn't want to watch Frozen if Olaf spent half the movie in an existential depression about his own mortality and the coming of spring.:sad: It would make him more realistic and perhaps more relatable, but it would also change the feel of the movie entirely. I guess I just don't like the concept of side characters as a whole. In real life, everyone is the main character of their own story. (And yes, I know Pumbaa and Timon got their own movie. At least, I think they did. Did they? Maybe they expanded on the characters a bit more there. I hope so. I always liked them as a kid.)

Last edited:
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oops. Didn't mean for it to be read that way.:confused: What I was saying was that Pumbaa and Timon fulfill their role the same way Jar-Jar does, albeit in a different way. I personally find nearly all the Disney sidekicks not emotionally deep enough for my preferences, but then again, we wouldn't want to watch Frozen if Olaf spent half the movie in an existential depression about his own mortality.:sad:

Thanks for your thoughts. I would tentatively offer the opinion that Jar Jar is merely comic relief, whereas Timon and Pumbaa are comic relief, but also more. They move the plot, they influence the protagonist, they become central characters, and they represent a mythic worldview in their own right. And again, they are funny, like Jar Jar. :D

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your thoughts. I would tentatively offer the opinion that Jar Jar is merely comic relief, whereas Timon and Pumbaa are comic relief, but also more. They move the plot, they influence the protagonist, they become central characters, and they represent a mythic worldview in their own right. And again, they are funny, like Jar Jar. :D
No, Jar-Jar is unarguably not nearly as important to the Star Wars story as Pumbaa and Timon are to the Lion King. I just like to trigger everyone by associating their most beloved characters with their most hated ones. Keep in mind, this post is largely made for comedy's sake, even if I do believe the message of "let creators do their own thing". I just like to troll the folks who hate Jar-Jar.:muahah:

• Haha
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Snypa

Dec 22, 2005
Alberta
✟15,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean i liked jar jar better then c3p0 i guess. And thinking on it i liked him better then Anakin too, but that's not saying a whole lot.

I just don't much like comic relief characters because they kinda like not really characters at all, more like backdrop for the real characters. I don't get all the hate though, maybe i should go back and watch em again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KeeperOfMemories

Nov 29, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟19,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
They have the right to make their characters however they want. We have the right to not like those characters. We have the right to even hate them. We have the right to make fun of them viciously.

(I draw the line at actually harassing the writers/actors behind the characters. It's pathetic that people do that.)

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Blessed more than I deserve
Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums