• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Japheth is white. Genesis 9:27

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Alpha-and-Omega, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-and-Omega

Alpha-and-Omega New Member

+7
    France
    Christian
    Private
    The entire world population descended from Noah’s three sons Shem, Ham and Japheth

The name Japheth means white, beautiful, and "God will enlarge him":

Genesis 9:27 MAY GOD ENLARGE JAPHETH, and may he dwell in the tents of Shem; and may Canaan be his servant.

Discuss.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. JAM2b

JAM2b Newbie

+1,622
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Why does his race matter?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+943
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Its traditionally thought that Japhet is the father of Europeans.

But why do you think his name means "white"?

4. Alpha-and-Omega

Alpha-and-Omega New Member

+7
    France
    Christian
    Private
    Purely by account of his association with Europeans.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,935
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The descendants of the sons of Noah provided the ethnicities we see today. What their original appearance was isn't known. However indications are that the white people sprang from Shem, Blacks from Ham, and yellow from Japheth. They had many sons between them no doubt with many ethnic characteristics from which the variety we see today sprang.

6. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+943
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Europeans have more neandhertal DNA than the rest of humanity, according to scientists this part of DNA is "guilty" of the wide variaty between Europeans (red, brown, black, blond hair, blue, brown, green, black eyes...).

In a sense, Europeans are less homo sapiens than for example Africans, 10% of their DNA are of Neandhertals.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,825
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    It does not matter what color he was. God separated out the nationalities and skin colors a few generations later at the Tower of Babel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+3,421
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    modern humans seem to be a sort of ring species. We have DNA from at least 2 other extinct human species -the Neanderthals and the Denisovians. There might be more hybridization as there were at least 4 different species of humans alive 50,000 years ago. Homo floresiensis and H erectus were also still around

9. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+16,268
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Jepheth doesn't mean "white". A possible etymology (it's not actually clear) is from the root יפה meaning "beautiful", "lovely", "fair", "pretty". יפה does not mean "white".

Also, the whole idea of trying to race races to the children of Noah is inherently ridiculous for a lot of reason, not least of which being that the whole concept of "race" is a modern cultural construct. From a strictly biological perspective there is no such thing as "race", there is simply a wide diversity of phenotypes across human populations. One phenotypical expression is skin color, skin color is determined by the amount of melanin in the skin, a high amount of melanin results in a dark skin color while a lower amount of melanin results in a lighter skin color. Melanin is important because it protects our skin from UV radiation, as such populations closer to the equator, where there is a higher exposure to UV is likely to result in darker-skinned populations, whereas the further from the equator one is the less exposure to UV is received, and so populations further from the equator tend to have less melanin.

I'm "white" because my ancestors are primarily from northern Europe, not because Japheth is my great-great-great-grandpa.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+16,268
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    There's no reason to make that association.

-CryptoLutheran

11. OldWiseGuy

+6,935
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Descendancy (is that a word?) seems to be important to God for reasons of inheritance and prophecy, but shouldn't be to us.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+22,266
    Anglican
    Married
    The traditional view of that matter is that the blacks are from Ham, the Jews (Semites) from Shem, and the whites from Japheth.

13. OldWiseGuy

+6,935
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Shem is the patriarch of Eber, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the tribes of Israel.

14. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+2,235
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    And your source for this is ?????

The name Japheth means white, beautiful ...

15. Messerve

Messerve Well-Known Member

+804
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Interesting... I wonder where you got your information because I'm pretty sure the Melanesians have the most Neanderthal DNA, according to what I read, and they are very dark skinned.

16. Lazarus Short

Lazarus Short Well-Known Member

+1,192
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So...where are those tribes today? Finding them is not easy, but it has been done.

17. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+605
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    So what?

But be intellectually honest. Does his name mean he was literally white? Take your thinking to its ridiculous conclusion. Maybe he was an albino.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. OldWiseGuy

+6,935
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm convinced of only a few identities. Some of the prophecies are pretty vague.

19. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,674
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Yepheth's name does not mean "white", it means opened, or expanse - like the expanse of land he and his descendants resided in (not enlarge like make mighty). God enlarges the inheritance of Yepheth because of what he did not do.

It is safe to assume that everyone at that time, from that region had a decent measure of melanin - at least on the level of what a modern Egyptian would look like.

20. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,148
    Christian
    Single
    Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.