Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Talk in science. Do you know the average age?
It's stated in the article. What I gather is that if a chimp is well cared for in captivity it's possible for them to live much longer than average.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Talk in science. Do you know the average age?
For chimps in the wild, the life span is 40 to 50 years.

The average life expectancy of humans in the 17th century was around 35 years. Of course, such averages depend on things like child mortality, which can skew the expected result.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I gave you real-world examples based on known data. Responding with a hypothetical view as how we ought to view things isn't useful unless you can substantiate why we should follow your reasoning and back up with with real world data.

Let me know when you can do that.

You do not understand why is your data useless in your argument. Don't you? Fine, you do not understand my explanation and do not want to understand. Suit yourself.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For chimps in the wild, the life span is 40 to 50 years.

The average life expectancy of humans in the 17th century was around 35 years. Of course, such averages depend on things like child mortality, which can skew the expected result.

I don't know. I think historically, the average life span of human without modern medical care is about 40+ if not counting infant mortality.
I guess that for chimp could be somewhere around 20+. What you said is the age at the high end.

And, there are legend everywhere in the world that ancient people, in fact, have much higher longevity than later people. I don't know why. But that is what's said in literatures. The Genesis describes the max. human age decreased from 900 to 200, then to 120. It is a puzzle to me, but I believe it is true.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You do not understand why is your data useless in your argument.

Data schmata, amirite? ;)

At any rate, you're basically contradicting yourself here. On the one hand, you're claiming what I am presenting is irrelevant. But on the other hand, you can't support your own position.

If you can't support your own position, then you can't know that my position is incorrect or that the information I gave you about tardigrades is "useless".

My suggestion is for you to take some time to actually think about what you are trying to argue for in this thread and then present it in a more thoughtful, meaningful manner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't know.
... What you said is the age at the high end.
Lol! you don't know, but you think the figures from real-world observation are 'at the high end'...

And, there are legend everywhere in the world that ancient people, in fact, have much higher longevity than later people. I don't know why. But that is what's said in literatures. The Genesis describes the max. human age decreased from 900 to 200, then to 120. It is a puzzle to me, but I believe it is true.
Myths and legends are poor guides to reality - as, it follows, are your beliefs.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Lol! you don't know, but you think the figures from real-world observation are 'at the high end'...

Myths and legends are poor guides to reality - as, it follows, are your beliefs.

One legend or local legend may only be taken as a reference. But a legend of global nature across cultures definitely says something. Overlook this fact is not scientific.

Yes, that is what I think. Is that what you "think" too? Why should I think the same way as you do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
At any rate, you're basically contradicting yourself here. On the one hand, you're claiming what I am presenting is irrelevant. But on the other hand, you can't support your own position.

I see no contradiction. You are wrong does not necessary mean I know something.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I see no contradiction. You are wrong does not necessary mean I know something.

You don't appear to know anything about the discussion in question and therefore wouldn't have any basis to gauge whether I am correct or not.

You kinda need, y'know, some knowledge for that.

On top of that, I already know that I'm not wrong since as I explained it really comes down to whatever specific measurements you want to talk about.

For example, if you wanted to compare how long the human body can go without food or water before death happens there are numerous organisms that have us beat in that category. So by definition the human body can't be superior based on those types of metrics.

Since this is stuff that can be objectively measured, it's not even a matter of personal opinion. This goes back to my 2+2 = 4 analogy from earlier in the thread.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
One legend or local legend may only be taken as a reference. But a legend of global nature across cultures definitely says something. Overlook this fact is not scientific.
I agree. Humans have a strong creative imagination for how things could be and how they could have been, a strong tendency to interpret the world in terms of agency and teleology, especially in explaining the unknown, and an equally strong tendency to generate narratives, to tell, embellish, and elaborate stories.

Mythical, magical, supernatural, legendary creatures, spirits, sprites, fairies, gods, devils, demons, etc., recurring across many cultures. There's no evidence any of them are or were real. On the other hand, we do have evidence of many extraordinary creatures that are real, and none appear to have supernatural powers or abilities...

... Why should I think the same way as you do?
I don't think that's possible, we all think in uniquely individual ways. But there are useful tools and aids to thinking that are worth considering, like rationality, scepticism, critical thinking, Bayesian thinking, etc. These can help clarify and resolve matters, e.g. help in distinguishing fact from fiction, probable from improbable, real from unreal, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums