• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Janis Joplin fans

Discussion in 'Secular Music' started by wisdomsophie, Nov 6, 2020.

1. wisdomsophie

wisdomsophie New Member

+22
    Lithuania
    Christian
    Private
    [​IMG]
    She was blues and rock'n'roll singer. Sadly, she died young at 27 because of drug overdose. Any Janis Joplin fans here?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+4,792
    Christian
    :hand:

I Love her to bits.

3. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+8,522
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    Not especially, though I probably ought to be, but her cover of "Me and Bobby McGee" is arguably one of the all time greats.

4. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+7,540
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    She rocks.

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+5,370
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    I often tease my wife by announcing "Joplinnn!" in a rock & roll DJ voice, followed by "The Entertainer" or "Maple Leaf Rag...!" :sorry:

6. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+8,522
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    I sat bemused for 3 1/2 seconds, then the smile kicked in.

7. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+5,555
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Some of the greatest art comes from broken packages.

8. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,833
    Christian
    Single
    Sang the blues like no other.

9. Paulus59

Paulus59 Active Member

+467
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I got one song of hers which is Me and Bobby Mcgee which I absoulutely love. To me she epitomizes the 60's and the hippy movement. It is very tragic that she died so young, she did have a battle with drugs and quite a hard life and there was no love in her life, very sad indeed.

10. sunshineforJesus

sunshineforJesus is so in love with God CF Ambassadors Supporter

+11,367
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    I dont know too many songs of hers but from what Ive heard she is awesome.

11. GOD Shines Forth!

GOD Shines Forth! Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,837
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    There are some great clips from the documentary FESTIVAL EXPRESS (the Canadian train tour that coincided with Woodstock).

She died shortly afterwards.

I also found this clip of her and Raquel Welch on Dick Cavett, a study in contrasts...

12. wisdomsophie

wisdomsophie New Member

+22
    Lithuania
    Christian
    Private
    Yes I agree with you her life was sad. Bullying in school, drugs and etc. I hope her beautiful soul is saved by God

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+4,792
    Christian
    It's the person I like, just as much as the music. She didn't sing for fame, money or status, she did it almost by osmosis. As if it were a bodily function she just HAD to do.

Her Dick Cavett interviews are a joy to watch.

14. wisdomsophie

wisdomsophie New Member

+22
    Lithuania
    Christian
    Private
    I also love Janis' music a lot! Please write me PM if you want talk more about her, her music.

15. wisdomsophie

wisdomsophie New Member

+22
    Lithuania
    Christian
    Private

16. wisdomsophie

wisdomsophie New Member

+22
    Lithuania
    Christian
    Private
    Why do you do that? Is your wife a fan of Joplin?

17. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+5,370
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Her tastes include Janis Joplin.

18. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,796
    Atheist
    Married
    A cover of a 1963 song by Garnet Mimms and the Enchanters, to which Janis adds her own spoken interlude:

Just for comparison, here's the original. Hard to say who's version is better.