Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't see a thread about this yet, but maybe I missed it.

I just saw the trailer for the new Jane Eyre movie coming out this spring... I know there are a lot of Eyre fans here.

What do you think?

YouTube - Jane Eyre - Official Trailer

I think it looks great, I'm excited to see it.

ETA: I just realized it already came out? It didn't come to my town. :(

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmm. Jane's a little "prettier" than she should be. Mr. Rochester is definitely more handsome than he should be. This is such an irksome point for me, in all the movie versions I've seen (at least 4 of them). Jane is supposed to be plain, hence the phrase "plain Jane". Mr. Rochester should be borderline ugly, which is why Blanche Ingram is revealed to only want him for his fortune (she's a great beauty). The scenes of Jane as a young girl seem accurate and well-done. I could tell some of the dialogue wasn't in the book (grrr) and the whole fireplace-blowing-soot thing...pu-lease. I also didn't like the way my FAVORITE scene ("do you think because I am poor, plain, obscure, and little...") was delivered with so little emotion!! The BEST rendering of that scene ever was in the 2006 BBC version.

And it's odd that there seems to be a new Jane Eyre movie every 5-10 years. I mean, it's a legendary novel, but...seems a little overkill. And I'm still waiting for it to be done right, lol.

/Jane Eyre fan rant

Upvote 0

Squeakers

Cat and music lover.
Dec 21, 2007
Way in the back, off to the left.
✟70,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I remember seeing the trailer, and thought it might be interesting. I keep thinking I need to read the book first.

^ This is a must! BOOK FIRST...froo-froo movie later. :p

Anyways, I personally liked the 1996 version of Jane Eyre.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It almost looks like they're playing up the thriller parts of the story. hm. not sure what I think of that. I guess so long as the rest of the story isn't sacrificed to make Jane Eyre seem more mystical/thriller than what it actually is.

If it came here I'd probably go see it though. I do love the book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟278,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm. Jane's a little "prettier" than she should be. Mr. Rochester is definitely more handsome than he should be. This is such an irksome point for me, in all the movie versions I've seen (at least 4 of them). Jane is supposed to be plain, hence the phrase "plain Jane". Mr. Rochester should be borderline ugly, which is why Blanche Ingram is revealed to only want him for his fortune (she's a great beauty). The scenes of Jane as a young girl seem accurate and well-done. I could tell some of the dialogue wasn't in the book (grrr) and the whole fireplace-blowing-soot thing...pu-lease. I also didn't like the way my FAVORITE scene ("do you think because I am poor, plain, obscure, and little...") was delivered with so little emotion!! The BEST rendering of that scene ever was in the 2006 BBC version.

And it's odd that there seems to be a new Jane Eyre movie every 5-10 years. I mean, it's a legendary novel, but...seems a little overkill. And I'm still waiting for it to be done right, lol.

/Jane Eyre fan rant
This. Everything. The only thing I can add is I didnt like the horse falling all the way over. In the Jane Eyre's I've seen the horse doesn't fall at all, he just gets thrown off, if I'm remembering correctly?

Vicky said everything I was thinking, down to the soot. :D

ETA - Vicky, my favorite Jane Eyre is the '06 version as well, but they're both still pretty & handsome in that one as well. Especially Mr. Rochester. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hmm. Jane's a little "prettier" than she should be. Mr. Rochester is definitely more handsome than he should be.

Yep, that was my first thought too. Especially Rochester.

little_tigress said:
It almost looks like they're playing up the thriller parts of the story. hm. not sure what I think of that. I guess so long as the rest of the story isn't sacrificed to make Jane Eyre seem more mystical/thriller than what it actually is.

I hope they play up the mystery/thriller part. I've always thought it's gotten a little under-played in other versions. I agree in hoping they don't sacrifice the rest of the story, though.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've seen one movie version of Jane Eyre, and that was when I was reading Wide Sargasso Sea for my Post Colonial lit class. I really wish I had read Jane Eyre before I read Sargasso because it really colored my reading of Rochester and Bertha. :sorry:

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟278,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can't wait to watch this version. Im a bit concerned about the girl they chose. I've only seen her in Alice in Wonderland and i swear the whole time I watch the movie I'll be waiting for the mad hatter to pop out somewhere. lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums