Jane Elliot and Everything2 Blue Eye / Brown Eye experiment sensitivity training

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
i looked it up and it looks like it was a racial oppression experiment that failed

very interesting that regular people are not interested today in oppressing others

it takes a special kind of mentality to desire to oppress - so when she tried to get regular decent people to oppress each other it failed

the milder part of the experiment worked though - feeling inferior or superior

that part of the sensitivity training was proven that once someone had experienced being treated as inferior, they were reluctant to treat others so poorly

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
also interesting that her methods of experimenting caused her to become oppressive toward the participants, because they generally were not at all interested in oppressing others

imo that means she was trying to force the results in the direction she assumed they should be, and was unhappy when participants didn't want to cross the lines of decency

it also indicates to me that oppressors come from a culture of oppression - they need to live in a community that teaches and practices oppression to feel comfortable oppressing others

thank God for decent people and free society that values others

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
i have a friend who is an employer of many people - especially immigrants - most of who came from oppressive cultures/countries

he said his employees are amazed at how well people treat each in a free country

they marvel at races and religions co-existing - working happily side by side - in friendship and mutual respect

he said there are a few immigrants he has to call into his office though to straighten them out on how to respect other races/religions/cultures

i'll have to ask him if those few do reform or if they continue to have difficulty behaving decently toward others

according to my friend's real life experiment - most people who come from an oppressive country PREFER to live in a free society that treats others well

and it looks like a few of them - those he has to call into his office - need to be re-taught how to treat others well - presumably because oppression is deeply ingrained in them

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone heard of this, apparently this is being taught and used in various forms across the country and perhaps the western world. The most interesting thing of all was I was unaware of it. Perhaps though I've been living under a rock?
Don't believe I've heard of it either :scratch:

c35d5c7be14eb7bd657a649c55e9dddf.gif

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i looked it up and it looks like it was a racial oppression experiment that failed

very interesting that regular people are not interested today in oppressing others

it takes a special kind of mentality to desire to oppress - so when she tried to get regular decent people to oppress each other it failed

the milder part of the experiment worked though - feeling inferior or superior

that part of the sensitivity training was proven that once someone had experienced being treated as inferior, they were reluctant to treat others so poorly

You can't read too much individually from such experiments. How they are
conducted, on who, by whom, and when, has a big effect on results.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
You can't read too much individually from such experiments. How they are
conducted, on who, by whom, and when, has a big effect on results.
amen

jane elliot did the testing on her own in an uncontrolled experiment

that makes a difference too

and the way she swore/used profanity at the participants who refused to comply with oppressing others makes it totally inappropriate

a testor is to be an observer - she tampered with her own experiment when her expected results were not immediately forthcoming

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
amen

jane elliot did the testing on her own in an uncontrolled experiment

that makes a difference too

and the way she swore/used profanity at the participants who refused to comply with oppressing others makes it totally inappropriate

a testor is to be an observer - she tampered with her own experiment when her expected results were not immediately forthcoming

Persuasion is an extremely powerful force. How it is used makes all the difference
and can overcome any personality factors. Like if all your friends and family are
drinking the cool-aid, likely you will as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums