Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
SALT LAKE CITY – A member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir says she has resigned from the famed group over its decision to perform at next month's inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump.

Jan Chamberlin posted her resignation letter to choir leaders on her Facebook page Thursday. In it, she writes that by performing at the Jan. 20 inaugural, the 360-member choir will appear to be "endorsing tyranny and facism." She says she feels betrayed by the choir's decision to take part.
Mormon Tabernacle Choir singer quits over Trump inaugural

"I only know I could never 'throw roses to Hitler.' And I certainly could never sing for him," she wrote in her letter -- as reported by the Tribune.
Mormon Tabernacle Choir singer resigns, compares Trump to Hitler

I wonder if she sought the advice of her bishop.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
She doesn't sound like someone who takes advice!!
She has a right to do whatever she wants, bizarre or not. However, if you're going to slander someone, you better at least be ready to prove what you claim.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thread moved.png

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
SALT LAKE CITY – A member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir says she has resigned from the famed group over its decision to perform at next month's inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump.

Jan Chamberlin posted her resignation letter to choir leaders on her Facebook page Thursday. In it, she writes that by performing at the Jan. 20 inaugural, the 360-member choir will appear to be "endorsing tyranny and facism." She says she feels betrayed by the choir's decision to take part.
Mormon Tabernacle Choir singer quits over Trump inaugural

"I only know I could never 'throw roses to Hitler.' And I certainly could never sing for him," she wrote in her letter -- as reported by the Tribune.
Mormon Tabernacle Choir singer resigns, compares Trump to Hitler

I wonder if she sought the advice of her bishop.

Ummmmmm....

what?

Is there something ELSE going on with her? This makes no sense.

She would prefer that Hillary be the one sworn in as our next President?

Seriously?

Perhaps the choir should count their blessings that she's leaving.

How utterly bizarre.

• Winner
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
She has a right to do whatever she wants, bizarre or not. However, if you're going to slander someone, you better at least be ready to prove what you claim.

Indeed.

One wonders where she got this information and whether she did her homework.

• Agree
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, while her Godwining language is off-putting and a bit dramatic, I can't fault anyone for adhering to their conscience on this matter. I wouldn't want to perform at his inauguration either.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>
Now, now, calling him such things doesn't have the appropriate effect. You'll just get kick back and they won't take you seriously. The best way is to simply quote the man himself. People can't really defend against direct quotes (though some do try). Donald Trump Quotes

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
<staff edit>

The choir is part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Church spokesman Eric Hawkins tells The Salt Lake Tribune (Singer resigns from Mormon Tabernacle Choir, says she 'could never look myself in the mirror again' if she performed for Trump ) that participation in the choir and the inaugural performance is voluntary.

This is just silly.

She thought she was "punishing" the entire chorale group because she resigned?

As is stated, participation in this even is "voluntary".

So why exactly did she resign, again?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
<staff edit>

and she RESIGNED. And for what? Added emphasis?

She could've just sat this one out. No one was forcing her to this event.

It was "voluntary".

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
For one: What is his police record, what has he been convicted of.
If he is guilty of sexual assault, there should be a record of it. Is she speaking from personal knowledge, was she sexually assaulted by him, or one of her friends or family members? What is her proof for any of this? If you want to object to someone being a male chauvinist, that is one thing, sexual assault is criminal and needs to be handled as such.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
<staff edit>

There is a differene between sexual harassment and sexual assault. Either way, if there is a problem then it needs to go to the authorities. The individual that has experienced the harassment or the assault is the one that needs to speak about it, not anyone who has no knowledge about it. And if you claim someone said something, then you should quote what he said and where you got the information from. If the comment was not made directly to you, it is your place to prove the comment was made.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a differene between sexual harassment and sexual assault. Either way, if there is a problem then it needs to go to the authorities. The individual that has experienced the harassment or the assault is the one that needs to speak about it, not anyone who has no knowledge about it. And if you claim someone said something, then you should quote what he said and where you got the information from. If the comment was not made directly to you, it is your place to prove the comment was made.

Indeed.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
One does not need to be convicted of sexual assault to be a bigoted sexual assaulter. He claims to freely grab women by the genitals and kiss them uninvited. Sexual Assaulter in Chief.

The recording finished with him saying "...And they'll let you."

That's right: he was saying "If you're rich and famous, women will let you do all sorts of things."

That's a critical bit of context which is missing from most discussions of the matter.

Crass, crude, and rude? Yes.

A confession of sexual assault? Not quite.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
And where does it say that they did not participate in this, that they were offended and angry and reported it?
I had 3 older brothers the same way, not one woman ever complained! My oldest brother was incredibly handsome and women would literally throw themselves at him, his wife literally dragged one woman off his lap and threw her outside! The woman had brazenly walked up to him, sat on his lap and shoved a piece of paper with her phone number on it---right out in public, in a restaurant!! He's 73 now, and doesn't happen as much, he was in his 60's when I with him and a young woman walked up to him, batting her lashes a hundred miles an hour and said, breathlessly," you're a very handsome man," and then just kept walking. His 35 year old son, who is cute as a button, was right next to him and she had eyes only for my brother. He has never cheated.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
There you go---always look on the bright side! Awake, alert and oriented and could have slapped him silly and screamed for the cops. Has anyone even reported it? At least with Cosby they complained to the cops, just that nobody believed them. There were reports, some got hushed, but they were there and they did complain (when they woke up).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well that makes sexual assault o.k. then. :doh:

That's the point! It can't be assault if they let you!---(Unless they are underage, of course)Not a one of the women my brothers "assaulted" did anything but giggle and "assault" them right back!!

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
<staff edit>

Well, I really don't care how I "look"---and who is looking? To those who think that women are too stupid to think for themselves and stand up and declare when some idiot man is going beyond their boundaries? I grew up with sexual molestation---when somebody goes beyond my boundaries, trust me, I speak up, right then and there, to the man involved and to anyone nearby! I am also not so naïve as to not know that there are woman out there who are not Christian (and even some who are) and who are not offended by being grouped, kissed, and fondled if they happen to like the guy's looks and or money! That is the real world! All women do not have the same standards, Christian or not. There are plenty of non-Christian women with very high moral standards that would not tolerate such foolishness. If she isn't underage, drugged, drunk, tied up, knocked unconscious, or otherwise incapacitated, it's up to her to draw the line and speak up when somebody has crossed it.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Victim blaming??!!! You can't tell a victim of assault (me) what an assault is!! I know a victim when I see one, and when I don't. Not one of those women with my 3 older brothers were victims---not one---I was, (not from them, my father)They were 3 good looking boys who drew women like magnets---there is a difference and if you think that women out there do not make a free will choice to be kissed and fondled and have sex you're <staff edit>! Remember the sexual revolution where women got up and demanded to be as lewd and low down as men are?---Do you really think there are only good, proper, innocent women out there and if they are being messed with it's only because of some evil man??-<staff edit>

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I'm not slandering her. I'm wondering if her authorities approve of her decision.

Upvote 0