Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Justice Department asks January 6 committee for transcripts of witness testimony
The Justice Department has asked the committee investigating the January 6, 2021, insurrection to hand over transcripts of the panel's witness depositions as part of its investigation, a committee spokesman and another source familiar with the matter told CNN on Tuesday.

The committee has not agreed to the request, because Chairman Bennie Thompson, a Democratic congressman from Mississippi, told reporters that the depositions were the property of the committee, according to the spokesman.

The other source said simply that there's been no response from the committee since the letter requesting the transcripts was sent in late April.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Senior Trump official at State met with election denial activists Jan. 6
The confirmation of the meeting provides new evidence of the success that the president’s allies had in gaining access to top administration officials

On Jan. 6, 2021, around the time that thousands of Donald Trump’s supporters swarmed the U.S. Capitol, a top Trump appointee at the U.S. State Department met with two activists who had been key to spreading the false narrative that the presidential election had been stolen.

Robert A. Destro, a law professor at Catholic University of America then serving as an assistant secretary of state, confirmed to The Washington Post he met with the two men — Colorado podcaster Joe Oltmann and Michigan lawyer Matthew DePerno — in the midst of the tumultuous day.

The two men have previously claimed to have huddled on Jan. 6 with State Department leaders, who Oltmann has said were sympathetic to the claims that a “coup” was underway to steal the presidency from Trump. They have not identified with whom they met. Destro’s acknowledgment is the first independent confirmation that they successfully gained the high-level audience. It is unclear whether the meeting led to any action.

In response to questions from The Post, Destro confirmed in an emailthat he met with Oltmann and DePerno, now the Republican nominee for attorney general in Michigan. [oh joy]

• Informative
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
@kyledcheney

BREAKING: The Jan. 6 select committee says it has obtained evidence that Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-GA) led a tour through the Capitol on Jan. 5, 2021 — contradicting earlier denials by GOP lawmakers that any tours occurred that day.

FTJJNgmaMAAtbZn

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think the Representative has to respond to this. Either he has been dishonest or the witnesses have committed perjury. Either way, it should be cleared up.

If it's responded to at all, it'll be with a boatload of hysterics and finger-pointing... Bonus points if the words "hoax" or "witch-hunt" are used.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A far-right Republican leader at UCLA with white supremacist ties pleaded guilty Thursday after admitting to sitting in Vice President Mike Pence’s chair in the Senate during the Jan. 6 Capitol breach.

Christian Secor, a member of America First Bruins, admitted to obstructing an official proceeding — namely Congress’s certification of the election of Joe Biden — in a plea deal with U.S. prosecutors.

The charge carries a maximum of up to 20 years in prison, but prosecutors and Secor’s defense attorney agreed that he likely faces either 21 to 27 months or 53 to 61 months in prison under advisory federal guidelines, depending on whether he is deemed to have caused property damage or injury. He is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 7.

Prosecutors agreed to drop the rest of a 10-count indictment, including two felony counts of assaulting police and rioting, and not to bring a new charge of destroying digital evidence as threatened against the 23-year-old.

--

[Before Jan 6], Secor texted and tweeted his belief after the November 2020 election that “Trump will pull through by legal or illegal means,” and that if he did not, Republican governors should prepare secession papers, according to plea papers. He messaged another individual on the eve of the Capitol riots, “Wouldn’t be surprised if conservatives just storm the police and clobber antifa and the police but that’s wishful thinking,” he acknowledged.

Further background on the Christian Secor saga:
Breach of the Capitol: Consequences, Repercussions & Reactions
Breach of the Capitol: Consequences, Repercussions & Reactions

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Giuliani meets with January 6 committee for more than 9 hours

Giuliani's original deposition with the committee had been postponed after the former New York City mayor asked to record the interview, with both audio and video. At the time, Giuliani's attorney Robert Costello said the committee rejected that request.
Despite Giuliani backing out of the original deposition, the two sides continued to negotiate an appearance, which led to a virtual appearance Friday that lasted for more than nine hours, sources said.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its strange this is still being talked about. Granted the left.. I just watched again them saying over and over how it was worse then 9/11, worse then the Civil war, worse then pearl Harbor. Lol what does not get talked about are those people that got locked up and get this.. NEVER went in. Some over 30 days.. and then never charged.

PLEASE no offense essentalsaltes.. I just saw the word you used "riot" and that word reminded me of just months before that we had over 500 riots (their words) with 25 killed 20 cops killed 1000 cops hurt. Our vice president now back then 3 times said its going to keep happening and should. Then what billion in damages. Lets remember that was not Trump maga group. Seems that part we America shhhh it never happened. But Jan 6th..oh those are terrorist. Yeah.. as a believer in Jesus Christ I voted for President Trump called names made fun of and called a terrorist. Ok If the next one NOT Trump wins and wants to MAGA or KEEP IT great.. man I am ALL FOR IT! Call me any thing you want.. I love this nation. Some have clearly divided it and still did nothing they promised to unite it.

So yeah.. "entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds and disrupting the orderly conduct of government business" this is what never makes the news.. this is what most of those people did wrong haha. No one was trying to haha over throw the government no terrorist. Then why I have to say .. allot were not Trump supporters. Hmm oops. If I offended forgive me never meant to.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Its strange this is still being talked about. Granted the left.. I just watched again them saying over and over how it was worse then 9/11, worse then the Civil war, worse then pearl Harbor. Lol what does not get talked about are those people that got locked up and get this.. NEVER went in. Some over 30 days.. and then never charged.

It take a while to charge, arrest, try, and sentence 2000+ offenders in a court that normally has a few hundred criminal cases per year.

Some who have been charged never went in, like the man in post #141, but he'll do 5-8 years for assault.

[edited for relevance]
So yeah.. "entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds and disrupting the orderly conduct of government business" this is what never makes the news.. this is what most of those people did wrong haha. No one was trying to haha over throw the government no terrorist. Then why I have to say .. allot were not Trump supporters. Hmm oops. If I offended forgive me never meant to.

And unless they happen to live in your local news area, you won't here about most of them either (especially if you stop reading this thread).

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,956.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
... entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds and disrupting the orderly conduct of government business...

Hemphill was guilty of serious misdemeanours. Shouldn't this be dealt with by the court? Doesn't justice demand that it is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
PLEASE no offense essentalsaltes.. I just saw the word you used "riot" and that word reminded me of just months before that we had over 500 riots (their words) with 25 killed 20 cops killed 1000 cops hurt.

And a president who announced " When the looting starts the shooting starts," during those riots who spent this one frantically on the phone with Congress people trying to get them to change their vote that the rioters were trying to stop.

What caused his change in strategy, I wonder?

But Jan 6th..oh those are terrorist. Yeah.. as a believer in Jesus Christ I voted for President Trump called names made fun of and called a terrorist. Ok If the next one NOT Trump wins and wants to MAGA or KEEP IT great.. man I am ALL FOR IT! Call me any thing you want.. I love this nation. Some have clearly divided it and still did nothing they promised to unite it.

This isn't about you.

So yeah.. "entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds and disrupting the orderly conduct of government business" this is what never makes the news.. this is what most of those people did wrong haha.

Right -- not evil, just stupid.

No one was trying to haha over throw the government no terrorist.

You went from "most" to " no one" and we weren't supposed to notice.

We did.
Then why I have to say .. allot were not Trump supporters.

Then why were they cheering at his rally?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Jan. 6 panel is told that Trump indicated* support for hanging Pence during insurrection
The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol collected testimony that then-White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows remarked to others that then-President Donald Trump indicated his support for hanging Vice President Mike Pence after rioters who stormed the Capitol on that day started chanting “Hang Mike Pence!”

The account of Meadows’s comment characterizing Trump’s reaction to his vice president was provided to the committee by at least one witness, according to people familiar with the investigation — but those people did not describe the tone with which the comment was made. They spoke on the condition of anonymity to be more candid about a sensitive topic.

[my emphasis]

• Informative
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Jan. 6 panel is told that Trump indicated* support for hanging Pence during insurrection
The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol collected testimony that then-White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows remarked to others that then-President Donald Trump indicated his support for hanging Vice President Mike Pence after rioters who stormed the Capitol on that day started chanting “Hang Mike Pence!”

The account of Meadows’s comment characterizing Trump’s reaction to his vice president was provided to the committee by at least one witness, according to people familiar with the investigation — but those people did not describe the tone with which the comment was made. They spoke on the condition of anonymity to be more candid about a sensitive topic.

[my emphasis]

Well, let's not forget that he later publicly dismissed those chants as "common sense." Clearly he never had any strong objection to the idea...

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows burned papers in his office after meeting with a House Republican who was working to challenge the 2020 election, according to testimony the Jan. 6 select committee has heard from one of his former aides.

Cassidy Hutchinson, who worked under Meadows when he was former President Donald Trump’s chief of staff, told the panel investigating the Capitol attack that she saw Meadows incinerate documents after a meeting in his office with Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.). A person familiar with the testimony described it on condition of anonymity.

• Informative
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Got a laugh out of this.

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) has stopped short of refusing to comply with a subpoena to appear before the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection, telling the panel that he would do so only if it met certain conditions, including sharing all the evidence the committee had on him ahead of time.

• Winner
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0