USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.” James 3:7–12 (KJV 1900)

The.Cartographer

Dec 18, 2019
Earth
✟17,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you choose to control your tongue? James says you cannot.
I can, have and do.
Does this mean, because we are created in Gods image, God doesn't have free will?
And no the beasts are not tamed; I've seen many animal attack videos online before to disprove this....

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can, have and do.
Does this mean, because we are created in Gods image, God doesn't have free will?
And no the beasts are not tamed; I've seen many animal attack videos online before to disprove this....
“But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.” James 3:8 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
“But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.” James 3:8 (KJV 1900)
The Holy Spirit tames the tongue, after one accepts Christ. It's the process that works to conform us into the image of God.

Has nothing to do with free will. Unredeemed man can see no need to tame the tongue.

This is what James is trying to tell you, Dave.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit tames the tongue, after one accepts Christ. It's the process that works to conform us into the image of God.

Has nothing to do with free will. Unredeemed man can see no need to tame the tongue.

This is what James is trying to tell you, Dave.

“Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.” James 3:9–10 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you choose to control your tongue? James says you cannot.
Wow. I see Jacob as criticizing his readers who do NOT control their tongues. But he also points out that what we may not be able to do in our own strength can be done in the power of the Holy Spirit.

If you read a bit farther, he talks about the "wisdom from above." IOW it is from Heaven that our ability to perform our choice comes from.

• Winner
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. I see Jacob as criticizing his readers who do NOT control their tongues. But he also points out that what we may not be able to do in our own strength can be done in the power of the Holy Spirit.
We should pray for discernment in what we say. God does not lie and this was addressed to believers.

• Agree
Reactions: MDC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We should pray for discernment in what we say. God does not lie and this was addressed to believers.
Absolutely. And that is free will. We can pray, and choose to follow HIS guidance or not.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely. And that is free will. We can pray, and choose to follow HIS guidance or not.
But if we are not free to control our tongues. How can we be free in any other way relating to spiritual things?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But if we are not free to control our tongues. How can we be free in any other way relating to spiritual things?
Paul tells us:

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.