James 2:15-16: is this situation one of those things God reserves for Himself?

Francis Earl

Nov 3, 2020
Phoenix
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The baptism by water is the human birth. John says he came for one purpose: baptizing by water to find the one upon whom the Holy Spirit stayed. This has been accomplished.

Baptized in the Holy Spirit... this is done as Jesus tells us: If ye love Me keep My commandments, and My Father will love you, and We will come to you and make Our abode. Making Their abode with us is the conduit of the Holy Spirit joining us to Them. Those who do not love the Son and thereby do His commandments do not have God loving them or the Holy Spirit keeping them.

If you are saying you think Jesus had a beastly aspect to His nature... I caution you to consider your words. Jesus says not My will but Thine be done; He never changed any part of that ideology. The Father forsook the Son not at all. But in the one thing... dying... Jesus must have felt Himself abandoned. It wasn't beastly. It was human.

The Theanthropic Jesus was dying to give the way of the Resurrection to those who love Him and do His commandments.

That isn't what I said... I stated WE have a beastly aspect.

He has become as human as possible without taking this on.

Upvote 0

OtherSheep

Nov 1, 2020
wi
✟1,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That isn't what I said... I stated WE have a beastly aspect.

He has become as human as possible without taking this on.

I assumed the two ideas were connected by the way you stated them. Your last statement here is what 1 John defines and tells us not to do it. Jesus was fully human, not 'something like human', or 'as human as possible'. Come in human flesh... just like ours... fully capable of sinning.

Jesus was able to sin, but He chose not to... and He fought hard not to: He prayed God for help, and God answered.

Without the potential to sin, could Jesus be our example? No.
Could He be our advocate? No.
God does nothing in vain.
If nobody would believe in Jesus, Jesus would never have been sent.

And it just occurred to me that original sin doctrine isn't true. The Seed of the woman has come down to us in its pure form, as Custance describes.

Seed of the Woman - Pt.II, ch.18

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Earl

Nov 3, 2020
Phoenix
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I assumed the two ideas were connected by the way you stated them. Your last statement here is what 1 John defines and tells us not to do it. Jesus was fully human, not 'something like human', or 'as human as possible'. Come in human flesh... just like ours... fully capable of sinning.

Jesus was able to sin, but He chose not to... and He fought hard not to: He prayed God for help, and God answered.

Without the potential to sin, could Jesus be our example? No.
Could He be our advocate? No.
God does nothing in vain.
If nobody would believe in Jesus, Jesus would never have been sent.

I mean, by the Law he did sin...

He is sinless because he is in union with God...

Upvote 0

OtherSheep

Nov 1, 2020
wi
✟1,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I mean, by the Law he did sin...

He is sinless because he is in union with God...

Jesus is sinless because He does the will of God. He wouldn't be in union with God if He didn't do God's will. Jesus makes that plain throughout His ministry and on, into the Revelation.

So... please tell me how you think "by the Law he did Sin"?

Ahhh... you already have.

At the very least, he worked on the sabbath... which is sin according to Jews.

Jesus explained to us how and why the Jews are wrong.
You either believe Jesus or you believe the Jews.

That is what union with God means, his will not yours.

I have said how he sinned by the Law, he worked on the sabbath.

Do you mean you think the Jews are right? even though you say Jesus did the will of God... which surely means keeping the Commandments of God.

You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Earl

Nov 3, 2020
Phoenix
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is sinless because He does the will of God. He wouldn't be in union with God if He didn't do God's will. Jesus makes that plain throughout His ministry and on, into the Revelation.

So... please tell me how you think "by the Law he did Sin"?

That is what union with God means, his will not yours.

I have said how he sinned by the Law, he worked on the sabbath.

Upvote 0

Francis Earl

Nov 3, 2020
Phoenix
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course, if we are saved by the Law then Galatians shouldn't be in the Bible, it is basically a treatise against this... maybe the most important assertion within being "I am in labor pains until Christ is born in you"...

This is the role of a Spiritual Father, to guide us to union with God... yet, while it tells the signs of the Spirit, it only says none will cause us to break the law...

This is the actual Gospel...

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The whole point of James is Faith Without Works Is Dead.

God sends the rain upon the just and the unjust... does that seem like an improvement to a man who is dying of thirst? or to the man whose garden is the only source of food for him? God clothes the lilies of the field and cares when a sparrow dies. God owns all of the things He created; in Him we live and move and have our being, says the Greek poet.

God judges rightly, from His vantage point; humans cannot judge impartially what they believe is happening to them. Utley proves all this in her book The High Cost of Vengeance.
And what comfort would there be for them when all God does is say I am in control and then doesn’t make it rain at all for years? None

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James 2:15 “Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?”

Is this warned against because it is supposed to be that God is the only one who is supposed to tell you to be comforted without actually improving your situation? Is this one of those rights, such as vengeance, He is jealous of for only Himself?

I think this is a warning that we should not ignore those in need. I think it has nothing to do with saying those things. It is to be hard hearted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Earl

Nov 3, 2020
Phoenix
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And what comfort would there be for them when all God does is say I am in control and then doesn’t make it rain at all for years? None

By our doing, we can make water available even though there be no rain... we can make food available without nature assisting... so your understanding is bad. You want God to do everything, but you do not want to be part of God doing it.

Upvote 0

Francis Earl

Nov 3, 2020
Phoenix
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The faulty assumption is that the intelligence we use to do these things isn't itself a gift from God... indeed, his lack of direct intervention calls us to use this intelligence, he pushes us to have to innovate and make a better life for ourselves here.

This is not a mistake. If we look at the best scientific innovators, many directly say they go into a sort of trance when they are coming to new things. This is a type of communion with God, it is he who inspires them... but we have to be open to it, where you think because of faith God owes you... yet you have nothing except what God has given.

Upvote 0

OtherSheep

Nov 1, 2020
wi
✟1,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The tragedies are to turn your hearts towards home. If you are not hardhearted, tragedy never needs to happen to you. When the Revelation draught comes, it will last more than 3 years; those who believe Jesus will be given manna. Because at some point, God will see that there are few who believe Him. And He won't send a flood this time.

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By our doing, we can make water available even though there be no rain... we can make food available without nature assisting... so your understanding is bad. You want God to do everything, but you do not want to be part of God doing it.
I am completely unable to do what I need him to. I don’t want him to do “everything”, I need him to do a specific thing, which cannot be accomplished by human means.

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The tragedies are to turn your hearts towards home. If you are not hardhearted, tragedy never needs to happen to you. When the Revelation draught comes, it will last more than 3 years; those who believe Jesus will be given manna. Because at some point, God will see that there are few who believe Him. And He won't send a flood this time.
You do realize I was simply framing my point in the same language you were using don’t you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Francis Earl

Nov 3, 2020
Phoenix
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am completely unable to do what I need him to. I don’t want him to do “everything”, I need him to do a specific thing, which cannot be accomplished by human means.

What is this thing you need of him?

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTE]
So the guy who begged Jesus for his daughter’s life was selfish? So were the guys who broke the roof for their friend. In fact, according to your logic, anyone who asks for healing of another is selfish. And Jesus was cruel by bringing people like Lazarus back to life!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Winner
Reactions: OtherSheep
Upvote 0