James 1:2-8 JBP

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
"When all kinds of trials and temptations crowd into your lives my brothers, don't resent them as intruders, but welcome them as friends! Realise that they come to test your faith and to produce in you the quality of endurance. But let the process go on until that endurance is fully developed, and you will find you have become men of mature character with the right sort of independence. And if, in the process, any of you does not know how to meet any particular problem he has only to ask God - who gives generously to all men without making them feel foolish or guilty - and he may be quite sure that the necessary wisdom will be given him. But he must ask in sincere faith without secret doubts as to whether he really wants God's help or not. The man who trusts God, but with inward reservations, is like a wave of the sea, carried forward by the wind one moment and driven back the next. That sort of man cannot hope to receive anything from God, and the life of a man of divided loyalty will reveal instability at every turn."

Again, this is the time when God is calling those who follow Him out of the realm of the double standard and to choose this day Whom we will serve. We cannot serve God by appeasing those who mock Him, and calling it righteousness. Jesus never set any such example appeasement or compromise. Jesus was clearly firm and unrelenting in His teachings and example, and the Word clearly says that a "double minded man is unstable in ALL his ways."

Let us, who name His Name, Focus on Jesus and obey the commands He has set out for us in His own Words, but LOVING one another and bearing fruit, as He commanded, while exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit!

altya

Servant of God
Apr 28, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
✟14,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The suffering state of Christians in this world is represented, and that in a very instructive manner, if we attend to what is plainly and necessarily implied, together with what is fully expressed. 1. It is implied that troubles and afflictions may be the lot of the best Christians, even of those who have the most reason to think and hope well of themselves. Such as have a title to the greatest joy may yet endure very grievous afflictions. As good people are liable to be scattered, they must not think it strange if they meet with troubles. 2. These outward afflictions and troubles are temptations to them. The devil endeavours by sufferings and crosses to draw men to sin and to deter them from duty, or unfit them for it; but, as our afflictions are in God's hand, they are intended for the trial and improvement of our graces. The gold is put into the furnace, that it may be purified. 3. These temptations may be numerous and various: Divers temptations, as the apostle speaks. Our trials may be of many and different kinds, and therefore we have need to put on the whole armour of God. We must be armed on every side, because temptations lie on all sides. 4. The trials of a good man are such as he does not create to himself, nor sinfully pull upon himself; but they are such as he is said to fall into. And for this reason they are the better borne by him. (Henry commentry)

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Today at 01:03 PM altya said this in Post #5

The suffering state of Christians in this world is represented, and that in a very instructive manner, if we attend to what is plainly and necessarily implied, together with what is fully expressed. 1. It is implied that troubles and afflictions may be the lot of the best Christians, even of those who have the most reason to think and hope well of themselves. Such as have a title to the greatest joy may yet endure very grievous afflictions. As good people are liable to be scattered, they must not think it strange if they meet with troubles. 2. These outward afflictions and troubles are temptations to them. The devil endeavours by sufferings and crosses to draw men to sin and to deter them from duty, or unfit them for it; but, as our afflictions are in God's hand, they are intended for the trial and improvement of our graces. The gold is put into the furnace, that it may be purified. 3. These temptations may be numerous and various: Divers temptations, as the apostle speaks. Our trials may be of many and different kinds, and therefore we have need to put on the whole armour of God. We must be armed on every side, because temptations lie on all sides. 4. The trials of a good man are such as he does not create to himself, nor sinfully pull upon himself; but they are such as he is said to fall into. And for this reason they are the better borne by him. (Henry commentry)

The rest of Henry's commentary on the double mind:

"A mind that has single and prevailing regard to its spiritual and eternal interest, and that keeps steady in its purposes for God, will grow wise by afflictions, will continue fervent in devotion, and rise above trials and oppositions. When our faith and spirits rise and fall with second causes, there will be unsteadiness in our words and actions. This may not always expose men to contempt in the world, but such ways cannot please God."

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is this message every needed for me right now. I'm at this spot of trials for a reason, some of my own doing. WHen I feel anxious, I just pray the simpliest of prayers, dearest Jesus, help me stay focused on You and to trust Your promises. I always feel better right after saying those words.
- and he may be quite sure that the necessary wisdom will be given him. But he must ask in sincere faith without secret doubts as to whether he really wants God's help or not. The man who trusts God, but with inward reservations, is like a wave of the sea, carried forward by the wind one moment and driven back the next. That sort of man cannot hope to receive anything from God, and the life of a man of divided loyalty will reveal instability at every turn."

This is so true. Pray daily for your doubts, step out in faith trust like a child, and stop trying to second guess the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Yesterday at 03:44 PM Gerry said this in Post #11

What is amazing to me is that since I posted this scripture, yesterday, the enemy has filled the thoughts and hearts with some with many doubts and fears. It is amazing how easily a Christian falls prey to the slightest attack by the evil one.

I've noticed this also and find myself having to be very wary of what is being said.  One thing I've noticed most is an attempt to start divisions by false accusation.  The other is outright disbelief and doubt.  James chapter 1 will cure this.  You Gerry and some others have been targeted specifically.  I had to counter attack with what I know of you.  I say this hoping someone will learn something.

When I said a thief was loose I wasn't saying it for my health.  I'd deal with it myself but I don't have enough knowledge to deal with it.  I've come pretty close but I find I'm lacking wisdom.  I've asked God to reveal to me more about dividing the Truth because I'm not sure if anyone out there understands this.  If they do please post.  If you do please post with the Holy Spirits direction don't insult me with your own ideas because I'll know it.

I've also asked God to reveal to me the "truth" about the end days.  I think there is more to the Last Days then is commonly known.  There are certain things that are happening that suggest we may be the generation to see the fulfillment of Christs Return.  Speculation will not do.  It has to come from the Holy Spirit.  I've asked for us all that He find us doing His work.  It concerns me deeply that many don't have enough wisdom to see the authentic truth.

We need wisdom.  Wisdom is the truth and the Truth is Jesus.  In the last days many will be mislead because they lack wisdom.  Many will know Gods word but deny the power of it.  When I say that some will be left behind it means I will have to leave you in your blindness to protect myself from becoming blind as well.  I beg of you and have prayed for all that I can for Her.  Her is the Church or the Bride of Christ.   When I speak I speak into the "Spirit" take seriously your walk with Jesus and Focus on Him.  Ask God what it means, don't assume you know.  I asked and I am learning more about it.  It's incredibly powerful.

Thanks Gerry for following after the Lord and doing His will.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
There is indeed a thief loose and it is our enemy. As it says in John 10:10, he comes to steal, kill and destroy. And the FIRST thing he comes to steal is our JOY! Ever wonder why? Well, it is because that is our strength. satan is well aware that we are stronger than he is and the only way he can defeat us or thwart our labors is to steal our strength. Only then can he kill and destroy our efforts in service to Jesus. "...for the joy of the LORD is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10.

As Jesus said in Mark 3:27: "No man can enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house." So by stealing our Joy, he has effectively bound us, albeit temporarily, and is able to spoil our goods, until we refocus on Jesus and regain our Joy!

So I say to all my brothers/sisters, do not allow anyone to steal your Joy! When Christians, in number, combine their strength, they become like a multi stranded cable that will break the teeth of the enemy.

Upvote 0
Today at 03:46 AM Gerry said this in Post #13

There is indeed a thief loose and it is our enemy. As it says in John 10:10, he comes to steal, kill and destroy. And the FIRST thing he comes to steal is our JOY! Ever wonder why? Well, it is because that is our strength. satan is well aware that we are stronger than he is and the only way he can defeat us or thwart our labors is to steal our strength. Only then can he kill and destroy our efforts in service to Jesus. "...for the joy of the LORD is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10.

As Jesus said in Mark 3:27: "No man can enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house." So by stealing our Joy, he has effectively bound us, albeit temporarily, and is able to spoil our goods, until we refocus on Jesus and regain our Joy!

So I say to all my brothers/sisters, do not allow anyone to steal your Joy! When Christians, in number, combine their strength, they become like a multi stranded cable that will break the teeth of the enemy.

I have so very much to learn.  This Joy thing eludes me.  This is the second time you've been right on target about something I need to understand.  Joy how can you feel joy when your in the middle of a battle?  Hmm?  Well I think I'll get some wisdom about this.

Upvote 0

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How can you have joy in the midst of a battle? Remember one thing:

Deuteronomy 3:22 "Ye shall not fear them: for the LORD your God he shall fight for you."

Exodus 14:14 "The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace."

2 Chronicles 32:8 "With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah."

Nehemiah 4:20 "In what place therefore ye hear the sound of the trumpet, resort ye thither unto us: our God shall fight for us."

Psalms 24:8 "Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle."

Zechariah 14:3 "Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle."

Notice a pattern? The battle belongs to the Lord. Once you realize this, then joy is possible as many other verses state. If you like I can post them later - have to run right now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Satan is a master thief. In a conference I was at recently this was laid our really well. The confrence was by Dave Benoit.

Profile of a Master Thief
1. Knows the value of what they are after.
2. Know when the time is right.
3. They use patterns they know have worked before.

7 Things Satan Wants to Steal from You
1. Steal your testimony.
Revelation 12:11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death."
- We need to protect our testimony with our life.
- Without a testimony our witness becomes of non effect.
- May the last chapter in our life be like Enoch's "He walked with God."

2. He will steal your love.
- The greatest enemy is not the devil but the flesh.

3. He will steal your fear.
Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."
- Fear is a part of worship. We need to fear not the devil.
-- There are three types of fear:
-- 1. Natural fear - fear of snakes or hieghts.
-- 2. Demonic fear - panic and worry.
-- 3. Godly fear - fear of a holy and righteous God.
Proverbs 29:25 "The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe."
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

4. He will steal your praises.
- Do you realize the importance of gathering with other belivers?

5. He will steal your joy.
Luke 6:22-23 "Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets."
Nehemiah 8:10b "for the joy of the LORD is your strength."
James 1:2 "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;"
Matthew 5:11-12 "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."
- Have you ever met a discouraged Christian that was effective for the Kigndom?

6. He will steal your loyalty.
Matthew 6:24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."
- Most Christians are more concerned about their finacial statement than their doctrinal statement.

7. He will steal your vision.
Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he."
Acts 20:20 "And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,"

Have You Been Robbed?
Has Satan stolen your testimony?
Has Satan stolen your love?
Has Satan stolen your fear?
Has Satan stolen your praises?
Has Satan stolen your joy?
Has Satan stolen your loyalty?
Has Satan stolen your vision?

If you have been robbed, go before God and ask for Him to return to you that which is rightfully yours. Then ask God to help you take up the armor so that you will not be robbed again.

Satan is here for three reasons: John 10:10 "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." God is there to give us life and not just life, but life more abundantly!

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OracleX, thank you for posting that, its so true.

He goes for the testimony first.... the other things fall in line too. And it happens easily if your not committed totally to trusting and obeying the Lord. What a Holy Spirit zinger this is for me; and I hope others out there. DO NOT believe satan's lie... its NOT too late. There may be consequences to your actions but God can still use you and your weakeness to bring glory to him.

Wow, I heard it said before taht it would do the Christian good to mentally picture themselves putting on the armor of God... after reading this post, i would have to agree

Upvote 0
Yesterday at 08:08 AM OracleX said this in Post #15

How can you have joy in the midst of a battle? Remember one thing:

Deuteronomy 3:22 "Ye shall not fear them: for the LORD your God he shall fight for you."

Exodus 14:14 "The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace."

2 Chronicles 32:8 "With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah."

Nehemiah 4:20 "In what place therefore ye hear the sound of the trumpet, resort ye thither unto us: our God shall fight for us."

Psalms 24:8 "Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle."

Zechariah 14:3 "Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle."

Notice a pattern? The battle belongs to the Lord. Once you realize this, then joy is possible as many other verses state. If you like I can post them later - have to run right now.

These are excellent scripture.  I did a search myself of joy and read through numerous scripture some of which you have posted.  I'll get it eventually.  I've asked God to show me what it really means.  I learn from experience.  Reading words don't do it for me.

Upvote 0
Yesterday at 10:58 AM OracleX said this in Post #16

Satan is a master thief. In a conference I was at recently this was laid our really well. The confrence was by Dave Benoit.

Profile of a Master Thief
1. Knows the value of what they are after.
2. Know when the time is right.
3. They use patterns they know have worked before.

7 Things Satan Wants to Steal from You
1. Steal your testimony.
Revelation 12:11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death."
- We need to protect our testimony with our life.
- Without a testimony our witness becomes of non effect.
- May the last chapter in our life be like Enoch's "He walked with God."

2. He will steal your love.
- The greatest enemy is not the devil but the flesh.

3. He will steal your fear.
Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."
- Fear is a part of worship. We need to fear not the devil.
-- There are three types of fear:
-- 1. Natural fear - fear of snakes or hieghts.
-- 2. Demonic fear - panic and worry.
-- 3. Godly fear - fear of a holy and righteous God.
Proverbs 29:25 "The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe."
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

4. He will steal your praises.
- Do you realize the importance of gathering with other belivers?

5. He will steal your joy.
Luke 6:22-23 "Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets."
Nehemiah 8:10b "for the joy of the LORD is your strength."
James 1:2 "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;"
Matthew 5:11-12 "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."
- Have you ever met a discouraged Christian that was effective for the Kigndom?

6. He will steal your loyalty.
Matthew 6:24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."
- Most Christians are more concerned about their finacial statement than their doctrinal statement.

7. He will steal your vision.
Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he."
Acts 20:20 "And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,"

Have You Been Robbed?
Has Satan stolen your testimony?
Has Satan stolen your love?
Has Satan stolen your fear?
Has Satan stolen your praises?
Has Satan stolen your joy?
Has Satan stolen your loyalty?
Has Satan stolen your vision?

If you have been robbed, go before God and ask for Him to return to you that which is rightfully yours. Then ask God to help you take up the armor so that you will not be robbed again.

Satan is here for three reasons: John 10:10 "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." God is there to give us life and not just life, but life more abundantly!

This is a keeper.  I'd only like to add that Satan will utilize men to the same end.  It takes a thief to know a thief.

Upvote 0