I've noticed that I've started praying the rosary progressively earlier in the day

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not really sure why, as it was usually my before-bed ritual. I got started saying it before bed because of the fact that when I stayed with the CFRs, they used to say it before everyone turned in for the night.

But for the past week or so, I've been saying it in the afternoon. Not really sure why either. I'm thinking maybe I'm doing it because I have an empty house for most of the day, so I have actual silence if I say it before anyone gets home. Luminous mysteries are my favorite set though, so I think that might be why I did it today around 4:45pm

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not really sure why, as it was usually my before-bed ritual. I got started saying it before bed because of the fact that when I stayed with the CFRs, they used to say it before everyone turned in for the night.

But for the past week or so, I've been saying it in the afternoon. Not really sure why either. I'm thinking maybe I'm doing it because I have an empty house for most of the day, so I have actual silence if I say it before anyone gets home. Luminous mysteries are my favorite set though, so I think that might be why I did it today around 4:45pm
Any time is a good time. You can do pray it as many times as you want. It certainly cannot hurt! :)

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It only takes me like fifteen or twenty minutes tops, so I'm thinking about starting to do all 20 mysteries a day. I'd ease myself into it, maybe start with doing two different sets a day and work my way up because it seriously doesn't take me long at all. I'm just wondering if I can hold my concentration that long.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I tend to pray the rosary at night myself, but sometimes I switch and read the Bible at night instead and pray it in the day. I hate to sound like a slacker though but I feel most satisfied just praying a decade a day.

• Friendly
Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hate to sound like a slacker though but I feel most satisfied just praying a decade a day.

You do what you can. I personally do a whole set of mysteries a day & am thinking about doing more, but that's because I quite literally have nothing better to do with my time as I do not work, am waiting on disability approval, and generally don't really leave the house that often.

I go through spells where I don't read the bible for a few days, and then end up reading like ten chapters of a book in one sitting. Like I haven't done any reading today, but tomorrow when I wake up I'll probably finish the Acts of the Apostles and move on to Romans. Then I might not read for another day or two, I'm not very good about reading the bible daily but it's a habit I wish I could really get into in the mornings.

• Friendly
Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I ended up finish the book of Acts today. Now I'm heading in to St. Paul's letter to the Romans. I'm slowly but surely getting towards the end of my project to read the bible cover to cover that I started when I was in jail.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I ended up finish the book of Acts today. Now I'm heading in to St. Paul's letter to the Romans. I'm slowly but surely getting towards the end of my project to read the bible cover to cover that I started when I was in jail.
That’s fantastic!

• Friendly
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've only read from the Douay Rheims once and I did not like it (it was on YouVersion). My preferred translations are the NKJV and ESV, but the only CE bible I have is the NRSV and I don't really care for it very much, as it feels like it isn't really a literal nor a dynamic translation... it feels like it sort of bounces back and forth between the two.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've only read from the Douay Rheims once and I did not like it (it was on YouVersion). My preferred translations are the NKJV and ESV, but the only CE bible I have is the NRSV and I don't really care for it very much, as it feels like it isn't really a literal nor a dynamic translation... it feels like it sort of bounces back and forth between the two.
I see. The translation is not the reason I'm slow. On the contrary that's the only one that I feel any special pull to. I do cheat on occasion.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just don't prefer it for the same reason I don't prefer the KJV: too much archaic language and thus, too difficult for me to read. I'm having a bear of a time now trying to work my way through St. Bonvaenture's "The Life of St. Francis of Assisi" due to the archaic language and prose. It's not even a long book but I don't think I'm even halfway through it yet.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand why I'm so slow. I remember distinctly at the end of 2019 how I started reading 1st Samuel, and I'm still only on 2 Kings (or 4 Kings if you read the Douay Rheims). What's wrong with me?
You obviously concentrate and reflect!! :D

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like to take brief notes on each chapter.

When I was in jail, I was underlining a lot of passages that I felt were relevant to my situation but that was in a cheap paperback copy of the NIV, so I'm not highlighting or underlining anything anymore in any of my good bibles. I don't want to ruin them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I was in jail, I was underlining a lot of passages that I felt were relevant to my situation but that was in a cheap paperback copy of the NIV, so I'm not highlighting or underlining anything anymore in any of my good bibles. I don't want to ruin them.
I practically never put any form of "graffiti" in my Bibles either. I like them to look clean.

• Agree
Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was briefly highlighting parts of the Psalms in my NKJV study bible, but I excused it by the fact that it is a study bible and is kind of meant for that sort of thing. I wouldn't do it with my pocket ESV or the Catholic Edition ESV that I plan on getting if my disability is approved or anything though.

I'm like you, I like them to look clean for the most part.

Upvote 0