Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've come up with a way to create an atmosphere on Mars using electricity, which will also serve as a 'free for all' powersource.

Using a super-massive nuclear generating station, on Mars' north pole, or a series of them, a giant rod will be positioned pointing upward, where a system of satellites will be positioned around mars' globe... Gradually, through induction across a vacuum, the satellites will be positioned around Mars' globe at slightly lower, and lower potentials, feeding one another across space, until they gradually reach Mars' extreme southern pole, where the lowest potential will be positioned, with a giant rod that receives all the power from the satellites. From this lowest potential position, all of Mars' "load" will be derived from it, which will increase the induction across all the satellites, creating a global electricro magnetic field with the generating station acting as the +, and the southern pole, with it's load-point, being the (-).

The satellites will essentially create a magnetic field surrounding the planet, as long as plenty of power is constantly being used, acting like a magnetic field similar to earth's, which will become the re-birth of the Martian atmosphere, essentially becoming the foundation of a future livable planet.

...As the atmosphere builds, the climate of Mars would become very similar to earth's, with breathable air.

If Mars had more atmosphere how warm would it be?

• Informative
Reactions: Gottservant

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I can see, were your proposal capable of working and generating a geomagnetic field, that it could be effective at protecting the atmosphere from erosion. However, I see absolutley nothing in your proposal that generates an atmosphere. As this is not April 1 your post confuses me.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMO, this should become the very first step. And if there's no way to dissipate the load, in order to maintain the integrity of the electromagnetic field, because a lack of people, then it should be burned off some other, innovative way, such as heat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
IMO, this should become the very first step. And if there's no way to dissipate the load, in order to maintain the integrity of the electromagnetic field, because a lack of people, then it should be burned off some other, innovative way.
Still waiting to hear where the new atmosphere is actually coming from.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can see, were your proposal capable of working and generating a geomagnetic field, that it could be effective at protecting the atmosphere from erosion. However, I see absolutley nothing in your proposal that generates an atmosphere. As this is not April 1 your post confuses me.

Of course it will be something like 500+ year project, terraforming the planet... Mining for water, planting plants... But after centuries pass, life will rebound there, and oxygen will become plentiful.

...It's only a matter of time.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Of course it will be something like 500+ year project, terraforming the planet... Mining for water, planting plants... But after centuries pass, life will rebound there, and oxygen will become plentiful.

...It's only a matter of time.
How are you generating the new atsmosphere. I grant you that with two million colonists generating the same amount of hot air you've produced in this thread it might just be possible, but I'd like a more conventional methodology. What is it?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How are you generating the new atsmosphere. I grant you that with two million colonists generating the same amount of hot air you've produced in this thread it might just be possible, but I'd like a more conventional methodology. What is it?

It would be a mass seeding of plants on the Martian surface. You start with pumping the craters full of underground water until they become man-made lakes. Then you seed the lakes with fungi, moss, and other plantforms that produce oxygen.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It would be a mass seeding of plants on the Martian surface. You start with pumping the craters full of underground water until they become man-made lakes. Then you seed the lakes with fungi, moss, and other plantforms that produce oxygen.
How do you stop the water freezing? Do you think fungi and moss live independently of other life? There are 785 other telling questions for your proposal, but I'll let you handle those two first.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you stop the water freezing? Do you think fungi and moss live independently of other life? There are 785 other telling questions for your proposal, but I'll let you handle those two first.

From the massive amount of power needed to be used, electricity will become endlessly plentiful, and can be used in ways to heat the lakes.

...Remember, the more power we use, the better.

In fact, giant heaters should be set up everywhere, as that will increase the load, thus strengthening the electromagnetic field.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
From the massive amount of power needed to be used, electricity will become endlessly plentiful, and can be used in ways to heat the lakes.

...Remember, the more power we use, the better.
So now the water will evaporate into the atmosphere because of the low air pressure, precipitating at the poles.
And the ecological insanity of your plant suggestion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So now the water will evaporate into the atmosphere because of the low air pressure, precipitating at the poles.
And the ecological insanity of your plant suggestion?

In that case, Mars will experience snowfall, spreading water into other valleys and crevices (where the wind blows it), where more heaters will be set up at low altitude positions, to begin further seeding. and so on.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a science forum not a science fiction forum.

There's always room for imagination in science... To restrict science to knowledge that what we already know, seems stagnant and useless.

Without imagination, science cannot progress anything, in any way.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not when imagination results in word salad..............

Some people struggle to use their imagination. They prefer only what's already known. We should appreciate the differences in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Returning to the topic, massive heaters might be a pretty good idea, considering that the stronger the magnetic field becomes, by their use, the more heat can actually become trapped near the surface. This is a major bonus, considering a strengthened atmosphere doubling down on heat retention.

Not to mention that a smaller planet like Mars has a lower altitude atmosphere. Which heats up much quicker than earth, and it would take much less water to create rainfall eventually, if such amounts of water exist... Also, much less oxygen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Without imagination, science cannot progress anything, in any way.
Practically anyone who has achieved a breakthrough in science and almost certainly all of those who have done sound work began by becoming familiar with the current thinking in the field. You have patently not done so. Your concepts of terraforming are barely at kindergarten level. That is my objection. Unlike @sjastro I don't object to a bit of SF, but I do object to fourth rate SF. That's what you've offered up. Thanks for the effort, but no banana.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,493.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people struggle to use their imagination. They prefer only what's already known. We should appreciate the differences in life.
Some people are so deluded they live in a fantasy world and cannot distinguish it from reality.
This technobabble sounds is more convincing than your OP but it is still word salad.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Practically anyone who has achieved a breakthrough in science and almost certainly all of those who have done sound work began by becoming familiar with the current thinking in the field. You have patently not done so. Your concepts of terraforming are barely at kindergarten level. That is my objection. Unlike @sjastro I don't object to a bit of SF, but I do object to fourth rate SF. That's what you've offered up. Thanks for the effort, but no banana.

And what threads have you contributed to the physical and life Sciences subforum recently? Or is it true, that people only come here for sport, to machine-gun down threads they deem unworthy?

It's really, really simple... If you don't like a thread, then you just don't click on it. And if we can't respond nicely, then why are we responding at all?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some people are so deluded they live in a fantasy world and cannot distinguish it from reality.
This technobabble sounds is more convincing than your OP but it is still word salad.

I only see this kind of language as being counterproductive. And way, way off topic. o_O

Upvote 0