✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
*You are in the Catholic forum*

It's just getting overwhelming. There are some I'll never get rid of but many i have gotten, read and never picked up again. Any suggestions? Should I put them out at Church with a 'free' tag on them?
Post a list on OBOB and ask people to pay shipping for whatever they want?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you have anything on or by folks like Julian of Norwich or Hildegard of Bingen, or an overview of the major Medieval theologians, I'd be interested. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not going to do a list. Wayyy too much. Whatever anyone is interested in, let me know and I'll do some digging. I'm in the process of getting new furniture and I have had these books for over 20 years. Since we built our house. Just want them to be put to good use. The other option? I am a hoarder. Lol! :eek:
Post a list on OBOB and ask people to pay shipping for whatever they want?

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,013.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You might find a suggestion here about giving your books to organisations that send them overseas, local prison chaplain, homeless ministries etc. If the outfit is Protestant, you might hit a barrier if all your books are Catholic, but no harm in trying.

Where to Donate Used Christian Books--5 Places to Start | One Thing Alone

There are some second hand charity bookshops which rely entirely on donated books, but they're few and far between. I'm a bit wary about donating books to some other charities, as I suspect they just dump or pulp a lot of them as they don't make much money and involve a fair bit of handling.

I have a similar problem of buying too many books. They range across a number of topics, but I've got more religious books than anything else (Catholic and Protestant, with a few others). I was donating to one such bookshop but due to proposed house maintenance, most of my books are in storage.

Once I get them out of storage, I'll start giving them away again.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@gennypearl,

Some you may be interested in-

I have Lives of the Saints, Fr. Alban Butler

Padre Pio: The True Story, C. Bernard Ruffin

Padre Pio: Man of Hope, Allegri

The Confessions of St. Augustine

Super Saints books 1,2 and 3, Bob and Penny Lord

Mother Teresa, Come Be My Light among several other Mother Teresa books I have.

Apostle In A Top Hat, about the founder of St. Vincent de Paul

The Divine Life of the Most Holy Virgin

Apparitions of Modern Saints.

And many more! I am having a hard time going through these books. A lot of work! I feel like just putting them in a pile and dumping at the Church! Lol! If there are any I listed that might be of interest, let me know.

• Informative
Reactions: gennypearl
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
*You are in the Catholic forum*

It's just getting overwhelming. There are some I'll never get rid of but many i have gotten, read and never picked up again. Any suggestions? Should I put them out at Church with a 'free' tag on them?
If they're Catholic-oriented, maybe your parish's RCIA program will want some of them. Or your parish priest(s).

I went to a far away town for a wedding. While hanging out in the parish before the ceremony, the parish priest chatted with me. Before I even knew what was happening, he freely and voluntarily gave me three or four books. We had talked about liturgy and a bit of moral theology and the books were related to those subjects.

Not sure if all priests do that but there's a good chance that a priest can put those books to some kind of good use, you know?

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I agree. I've pretty much decided unless someone here wants something specific, the rest is going to my parish. I'm on the hunt for boxes now.
If they're Catholic-oriented, maybe your parish's RCIA program will want some of them. Or your parish priest(s).

I went to a far away town for a wedding. While hanging out in the parish before the ceremony, the parish priest chatted with me. Before I even knew what was happening, he freely and voluntarily gave me three or four books. We had talked about liturgy and a bit of moral theology and the books were related to those subjects.

Not sure if all priests do that but there's a good chance that a priest can put those books to some kind of good use, you know?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I agree. I've prett much decided unless someone here wants something specific, the rest is going to my parish. I'm on the hunt for boxes now.

Upvote 0

joymercy

Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟244,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
You might find a suggestion here about giving your books to organisations that send them overseas, local prison chaplain, homeless ministries etc. If the outfit is Protestant, you might hit a barrier if all your books are Catholic, but no harm in trying.

Where to Donate Used Christian Books--5 Places to Start | One Thing Alone

There are some second hand charity bookshops which rely entirely on donated books, but they're few and far between. I'm a bit wary about donating books to some other charities, as I suspect they just dump or pulp a lot of them as they don't make much money and involve a fair bit of handling.

I have a similar problem of buying too many books. They range across a number of topics, but I've got more religious books than anything else (Catholic and Protestant, with a few others). I was donating to one such bookshop but due to proposed house maintenance, most of my books are in storage.

Once I get them out of storage, I'll start giving them away again.

Outstanding ideas Bob!

@Michie, how about sending them to service personnel?

Upvote 0

joymercy

Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟244,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah I agree. I've pretty much decided unless someone here wants something specific, the rest is going to my parish. I'm on the hunt for boxes now.

God bless your heart of love and compassion for wanting to share with other members of the church who could be reached through your books for a deeper walk with Christ Jesus.

I LOVE a parish with a comfy little library full of wisdom and knowledge that edifys the soul!

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0