I've Blashphemed the Holy Spirit. What now?

bathelter01

Apr 21, 2019
Tennessee
✟19,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you HAD, I do not believe you would have joined a Christian forum to ask for help. You wouldn't care.
You may not have feelings of being saved; that doesn't mean you aren't. Feelings can change and be affected by illness, depression, bad circumstances etc.

If you are convinced you have reached the point of no return and are totally lost, you have nothing to lose. So why not try reading a passage like Romans 8:31-39 and thank God for his love - ask for more of it, thank him for the cross and that he loves you unconditionally. Even if you don't feel anything, keep going. The devil doesn't want you to feel anything; he wants you to do just what you have done, give up and not think about God.
The devil has already been defeated by Jesus on the cross. He has no power over you. Jesus said that he is the Good Shepherd and NO ONE can snatch us from his Father's hands.
Again, don't trust in feelings, trust in Jesus who tells the truth.

Thank you for your response.

It's not so much that I don't have feelings of being saved that is the problem. I've gone through times of falling into sin and not feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit or feeling like a believer. I understand that.
What is so utterly different from those times is that I no longer have conviction of sin or brokenness over my sin. Sin doesn't seem like a big deal. Also there is no fruit of the Spirit being produced in me or desire for the Lord. This all occurred while in a long period of wrestling with sin. The wrestling has since stopped due to the lack of conviction and not seeing sin as a problem. This is what is concerning.
When the Spirit is not working in your life any more, what do you do? When you aren't broken over your sin and can't repent from the heart, what do you do? This has been going on for 2 and a half years now and as much as I have cried out, the Lord has not changed my heart. I have to come to grips with the reality that the Spirit has left. Not to mention the moment when I felt him leave.

I hope that helps shed some light on my situation a little more.

Upvote 0

bathelter01

Apr 21, 2019
Tennessee
✟19,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
WAS a believer? You don't believe in God anymore?

It's not that. Of course I believe. Who can know Christ as an intimate friend and then deny his existence. That's like denying your own brother never existed. You would be delusional to do so. (Assuming you have a sibling.)
But being a believer is not wrapped up in intellectual acknowledgment of the obvious reality that the Lord is real. It concerns Spirit-wrought faith. It's one thing to know of his existence but another for the Spirit to bring you to life and give you active and living faith to place in Christ.
What I mean by, "was a believer" is that it is clear in my life and spiritual state that I am devoid of the Holy Spirit and his work. No faith, no fruit, no conviction, no life in Christ. Do you understand what I mean?

Upvote 0

bathelter01

Apr 21, 2019
Tennessee
✟19,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There is such a thing as a seared conscience. This sounds more like what's going on in your case due to the persistent sin. This can be healed. As far as how you feel, God has shown me that how I feel doesn't change his promises. Yesterday I felt like a million dollars and God's promises were the same. Today I feel miserable and his promises are the same. Tomorrow I may feel completely numb and his promises will still be the same. Look at what happened with Job. Also, remember the prodigal son.

Edit - Also, the way to get past that persistent sinning is through a very close relationship with God and having a living faith, not just saying you have faith (dead faith). If you believe what God has said in his word, then you will DO what he says. Look at it this way, I wouldn't come to work each day if I didn't have faith my employer would pay me at the end of every 2 weeks. Likewise, I wouldn't keep God's commands and deny my flesh earthy pleasures if I didn't believe he existed or is telling the truth about everything stated in his word.

I agree regarding his promises. My struggle is in where they may end. It seems clear to me through 1 John 5 and Hebrews that there comes a time with repeated sin where the sinning "leads to death" and a time when "a sacrifice no longer remains for them." (Speaking of those two verses respectively)
What, to my horror, I have come to realize is that I am unable to repent. There's no sorrow or brokenness over sin. I confess my sin each time I fall, tell the Lord that it was wrong and ask him to break my heart over sin again but he doesn't.
I pray that his promises regarding his children's safety in him are true but it seems that there is also a simultaneous reality of their end.

Upvote 0

bathelter01

Apr 21, 2019
Tennessee
✟19,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I once felt the same as you do. What brought me through it was to recognize my lack of faith, and to study the scriptures to find out what was the real faith they were talking about. In the course of my studies in Hebrews, I discovered that my persistent doubts was causing my insecurity. After surrendering my faith into God's hands, my faith was eventually strengthened to the point that I can no longer doubt Rom. 8:38-39. What I also discovered was that faith transcends feelings, and understood that I should continue trusting Christ no matter how I felt in any given moment.
TD:)

But what do you do when you have faith no longer? When it has left or been taken away from you?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But what do you do when you have faith no longer? When it has left or been taken away from you?
It depends on what you mean by "faith." The term has different meanings according to the context in which it is used. For example, Paul writes "faith comes by hearing the word of God" in the context of who is saved by hearing the gospel. But James writes "even the demons believe, and they tremble," when he is writing to people who claim they believe in Christ, but don't live like it. You can see that the word means something quite different in each of these contexts.

So, this begs the question, where are you directing your faith? If you say you have no faith because you don't feel that you have any, then your faith is really directed toward yourself, your feelings, your own heart, your own desires. Also, what kind of faith is the Bible talking about when it says we are saved by grace through faith? It's the trusting kind. I like to quote one certain version of this verse (in Rom. 10): "The one who trusts in Him (Christ) will not be disappointed." This means that if we direct our trust toward Christ, to embrace the promise of deliverance from our sins, that Christ will not disappoint us. That is, He will show us that He is ready and willing to give us the power to overcome our sins, and become assured of eternal life.

Therefore, you have to let Christ be your guide in life. This means to begin to study His words on a daily basis, and remember them in your circumstances to see how those words apply. It involves mediation, that is, considering how the words apply in life circumstances. When we prayerfully consider these things, we get guidance from God. Ps. 1 "Blessed is the one who meditates in God's law day and night." There are no shortcuts. We have to walk it out.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

bathelter01

Apr 21, 2019
Tennessee
✟19,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It depends on what you mean by "faith." The term has different meanings according to the context in which it is used. For example, Paul writes "faith comes by hearing the word of God" in the context of who is saved by hearing the gospel. But James writes "even the demons believe, and they tremble," when he is writing to people who claim they believe in Christ, but don't live like it. You can see that the word means something quite different in each of these contexts.

So, this begs the question, where are you directing your faith? If you say you have no faith because you don't feel that you have any, then your faith is really directed toward yourself, your feelings, your own heart, your own desires. Also, what kind of faith is the Bible talking about when it says we are saved by grace through faith? It's the trusting kind. I like to quote one certain version of this verse (in Rom. 10): "The one who trusts in Him (Christ) will not be disappointed." This means that if we direct our trust toward Christ, to embrace the promise of deliverance from our sins, that Christ will not disappoint us. That is, He will show us that He is ready and willing to give us the power to overcome our sins, and become assured of eternal life.

Therefore, you have to let Christ be your guide in life. This means to begin to study His words on a daily basis, and remember them in your circumstances to see how those words apply. It involves mediation, that is, considering how the words apply in life circumstances. When we prayerfully consider these things, we get guidance from God. Ps. 1 "Blessed is the one who meditates in God's law day and night." There are no shortcuts. We have to walk it out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. Good distinction.

I'm not exactly sure what I mean when I say faith. Maybe if I explain it will make more sense. 2 years ago, after experiencing what I believe to be the Holy Spirit's departure, I was greatly distressed and ran to the Word to seek the Lord. Upon opening my Bible and reading I began to think things like, "This looks so fake. Who would believe this?" That being said, I realized that the Word was devoid of life because of my lack of the Spirit. I know the Lord is who he is. I knew him deeply and intimately. Someone trying to convince me the Lord is not real would have just as easy of a time convincing me my mother isn't real. But it now seems as though he isn't. There is no heart belief. Just logical understanding an memory. Does that make any sense?
That being said, I have been pursuing the Lord in quiet times for 2 years now in this state. I believed that just continuing to be faithful would cause some movement in my spiritual life. Or at least give me some encouragement to continue fighting. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the slightest. So I think I'm walking it out, as you said, but there is no change of my heart. That has caused me to conclude that my sin has caused the Spirit to depart permanently.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
So I know this is probably not a shocking title and that it's probably common to see a post like this. However, I've been struggling for some years over my possible loss of salvation. You may have seen my posts in the past. I'll link them below for those who would be interested. They may give a more robust explanation of what has happened.

Has my sin killed me spiritually? Loss of salvation
What to do when you are beyond repentance?

The short of it is as follows:
I became a believer around the age of 10 and saw a stark change in my life and desires. Hatred towards sin and love and desire for Christ. Shortly after I was exposed to inappropriate contentography and formed an addiction. The following 17 years were an up and down dealing with addiction and the Lord drawing me back to repentance.
Until 2 years ago. I had been in a pit of sin and despair hating my sin and crying out to the Lord to free me from it but being, seemingly, unable to escape it for long. I had good moments of repentance during that time but I would always inevitable fall back into my sin. I would like to point out that this was not a time of me walking away from Christ in a knowing sense. It was a time of gripping Christ, struggling/falling, repenting, gripping Christ and struggling/falling. During that time I had just started seminary but was still struggling in my thought life and occasionally on the internet.
One night I fell to temptation and felt no remorse or brokenness. It was shocking and horrifying. I sinned and felt no conviction over it. I spent the rest of the night in prayer trying to repent and felt that I could not. Unable to feel broken over sin or that what I had done was a problem.
The next morning I woke up and began seeking the Lord about what had happened filled with an intense sense of deep, deep anxiety about my relationship with the Lord. During a time of prayer I felt, what seemed to me, the departing of the Holy Spirit. The reason I believe this to be true is because of the state of my heart and mind afterwords. My heart felt like a stone in my chest and I felt no love or desire for the Lord. My sin didn't seem to be a big deal to me anymore. I opened my bible and it looked like words on a page. It seemed that I no longer believed the Scriptures anymore no matter how hard I fought to. I knew experientially that they were true but there was not heart level belief. It was like I had undergone a de-renewing of my mind and heart. My thoughts were wicked and I had no regard for the Lord. It seemed as though he had left me completely. There was no work of the Holy Spirit occurring in my life. The Word was not illuminated, I was not convicted of sin and I felt a horrible fear of destruction. The most visceral fear of condemnation.
Two years later nothing has changed. At that time this began I had resolved that I would not continue in sin and that I would continue to submit to the Lord even if he had left me. I resolved to live what was rest of my life to the glory of God but that has become difficult in the lack of desire to do so. It does not seem possible to remain faithful to the Lord apart from the Holy Spirit's work to impart those desires. I have no desire to run head long into sin but I also do not desire the Lord.

I ran across these 2 articles last night and I believe they speak to my situation. I'm not sure what to do now.
What Is the Unforgivable Sin?
Beyond Forgiveness: Blasphemy Against the Spirit

The thing that stuck out to me was,
"The unforgivable sin is when you have resisted him so decisively that he has forsaken you and you can no longer repent. You try to repent and you can't repent. You can't be genuinely sorry for your sin or turn away from it. That is a horribly frightening situation to be in."

RC Sproul quoted a theologian saying, "To be sure, hell will be awful for both, but as one theologian has noted, all the sinners in hell would move heaven and earth if they could remove but one transgression from their record and have their punishment even barely alleviated."

Everything in my life points to this reality and I'm not sure how to move forward. My desires to remain faithful to the Lord have departed and I cannot continue if the Spirit does not empower. If there is no returning of the Holy Spirit because I have blasphemed though persistence in sin, what then should one do? Would it not be most profitable in my situation to remove myself from this life for the sake of my eternity?

The consensus according to both my King James Study Bible, written by premillenial dispensationalist Calvinists from the SBC, the PCA and a token Methodist, and my Orthodox Study Bible, and my other studies on this subject, is that the mere fact you posted this shows you did not blaspheme the Holy Spirit. For if you had, you would have no compunction about it, no fear of having done it, no remorse, no repentance, and no love of God.

Pray for the atheists.

Upvote 0

bathelter01

Apr 21, 2019
Tennessee
✟19,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The consensus according to both my King James Study Bible, written by premillenial dispensationalist Calvinists from the SBC, the PCA and a token Methodist, and my Orthodox Study Bible, and my other studies on this subject, is that the mere fact you posted this shows you did not blaspheme the Holy Spirit. For if you had, you would have no compunction about it, no fear of having done it, no remorse, no repentance, and no love of God.

Pray for the atheists.

I have heard that as well but I don't agree with it based on Hebrews 10:26-27.

26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries

It would seem that verse 27 clearly states that one who has done this does have fear of it. Fear of their condemnation.

Kitt70

Dec 15, 2019
County KILKENNY
✟15,356.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I know this is probably not a shocking title and that it's probably common to see a post like this. However, I've been struggling for some years over my possible loss of salvation. You may have seen my posts in the past. I'll link them below for those who would be interested. They may give a more robust explanation of what has happened.

Has my sin killed me spiritually? Loss of salvation
What to do when you are beyond repentance?

The short of it is as follows:
I became a believer around the age of 10 and saw a stark change in my life and desires. Hatred towards sin and love and desire for Christ. Shortly after I was exposed to inappropriate contentography and formed an addiction. The following 17 years were an up and down dealing with addiction and the Lord drawing me back to repentance.
Until 2 years ago. I had been in a pit of sin and despair hating my sin and crying out to the Lord to free me from it but being, seemingly, unable to escape it for long. I had good moments of repentance during that time but I would always inevitable fall back into my sin. I would like to point out that this was not a time of me walking away from Christ in a knowing sense. It was a time of gripping Christ, struggling/falling, repenting, gripping Christ and struggling/falling. During that time I had just started seminary but was still struggling in my thought life and occasionally on the internet.
One night I fell to temptation and felt no remorse or brokenness. It was shocking and horrifying. I sinned and felt no conviction over it. I spent the rest of the night in prayer trying to repent and felt that I could not. Unable to feel broken over sin or that what I had done was a problem.
The next morning I woke up and began seeking the Lord about what had happened filled with an intense sense of deep, deep anxiety about my relationship with the Lord. During a time of prayer I felt, what seemed to me, the departing of the Holy Spirit. The reason I believe this to be true is because of the state of my heart and mind afterwords. My heart felt like a stone in my chest and I felt no love or desire for the Lord. My sin didn't seem to be a big deal to me anymore. I opened my bible and it looked like words on a page. It seemed that I no longer believed the Scriptures anymore no matter how hard I fought to. I knew experientially that they were true but there was not heart level belief. It was like I had undergone a de-renewing of my mind and heart. My thoughts were wicked and I had no regard for the Lord. It seemed as though he had left me completely. There was no work of the Holy Spirit occurring in my life. The Word was not illuminated, I was not convicted of sin and I felt a horrible fear of destruction. The most visceral fear of condemnation.
Two years later nothing has changed. At that time this began I had resolved that I would not continue in sin and that I would continue to submit to the Lord even if he had left me. I resolved to live what was rest of my life to the glory of God but that has become difficult in the lack of desire to do so. It does not seem possible to remain faithful to the Lord apart from the Holy Spirit's work to impart those desires. I have no desire to run head long into sin but I also do not desire the Lord.

I ran across these 2 articles last night and I believe they speak to my situation. I'm not sure what to do now.
What Is the Unforgivable Sin?
Beyond Forgiveness: Blasphemy Against the Spirit

The thing that stuck out to me was,
"The unforgivable sin is when you have resisted him so decisively that he has forsaken you and you can no longer repent. You try to repent and you can't repent. You can't be genuinely sorry for your sin or turn away from it. That is a horribly frightening situation to be in."

RC Sproul quoted a theologian saying, "To be sure, hell will be awful for both, but as one theologian has noted, all the sinners in hell would move heaven and earth if they could remove but one transgression from their record and have their punishment even barely alleviated."

Everything in my life points to this reality and I'm not sure how to move forward. My desires to remain faithful to the Lord have departed and I cannot continue if the Spirit does not empower. If there is no returning of the Holy Spirit because I have blasphemed though persistence in sin, what then should one do? Would it not be most profitable in my situation to remove myself from this life for the sake of my eternity?
Hi,
I have zero advice to give you but I feel your pain. I am only a new baby Christian. I pray that you heart will soften....and that Gods grace and mercy will lead you out of this situation ....God bless

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries

It would seem that verse 27 clearly states that one who has done this does have fear of it. Fear of their condemnation.

I’m sorry, I don’t see the connection. These verses are clearly eschatological and not soteriological. Which I guess is why the consensus patrum and what for a want of a better term, the consensus premillenial-dispensationalist-um maintains that compunction disappears if the Holy Spirit is blasphemed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bathelter01

Apr 21, 2019
Tennessee
✟19,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I’m sorry, I don’t see the connection. These verses are clearly eschatological and not soteriological. Which I guess is why the consensus patrum and what for a want of a better term, the consensus premillenial-dispensationalist-um maintains that compunction disappears if the Holy Spirit is blasphemed.

I have never seen this verse be viewed through a eschatological lens, but perhaps I'm looking at it through the lens of what I'm experiencing that has caused me to view it the way I do.
The way I'm viewing them, as well as the rest of the warning passages in Hebrews, would be concerning soteriology and loss of salvation. I would look at this in the same way I would see Hebrews 6:4 and Hebrews 12(?). Concerning Esau and his inability to repent because of his sin.
Would you mind explaining how you view these 2 verses as eschatological and not soteriological?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the response. Good distinction.

I'm not exactly sure what I mean when I say faith. Maybe if I explain it will make more sense. 2 years ago, after experiencing what I believe to be the Holy Spirit's departure, I was greatly distressed and ran to the Word to seek the Lord. Upon opening my Bible and reading I began to think things like, "This looks so fake. Who would believe this?" That being said, I realized that the Word was devoid of life because of my lack of the Spirit. I know the Lord is who he is. I knew him deeply and intimately. Someone trying to convince me the Lord is not real would have just as easy of a time convincing me my mother isn't real. But it now seems as though he isn't. There is no heart belief. Just logical understanding an memory. Does that make any sense?
That being said, I have been pursuing the Lord in quiet times for 2 years now in this state. I believed that just continuing to be faithful would cause some movement in my spiritual life. Or at least give me some encouragement to continue fighting. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the slightest. So I think I'm walking it out, as you said, but there is no change of my heart. That has caused me to conclude that my sin has caused the Spirit to depart permanently.

Many years ago I had a "desert" experience where I doubted even that God existed, along with thinking I wasn't saved. I too thought that the Spirit had departed from me, and was very worried. Since I didn't know what to do about it, I just continued to live my life in the best way I knew how, and continued to fellowship with the saints. I learned that it was a time of testing for my faith, as the apostles testify of.

Another time I struggled with a lack of assurance of my salvation. I wrote a prayer to God that He would let me know that I was His son. This was because I didn't think I had experienced Rom. 8:16. Seven years later God powerfully answered that prayer for me, even though I had long forgotten it. I never doubted Rom. 8:16 again.

So, it begs the question, what specific evidence do you have that the Spirit has departed? Is it only in your feelings?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not that. Of course I believe. Who can know Christ as an intimate friend and then deny his existence. That's like denying your own brother never existed. You would be delusional to do so. (Assuming you have a sibling.)
But being a believer is not wrapped up in intellectual acknowledgment of the obvious reality that the Lord is real. It concerns Spirit-wrought faith. It's one thing to know of his existence but another for the Spirit to bring you to life and give you active and living faith to place in Christ.
What I mean by, "was a believer" is that it is clear in my life and spiritual state that I am devoid of the Holy Spirit and his work. No faith, no fruit, no conviction, no life in Christ. Do you understand what I mean?

I do. You asked: "Who can know Christ as an intimate friend and then deny his existence." My coworker can. He was a devout Christian for 6 years, ran youth group at his church, ministered to hundreds, and then completely lost all faith. He is now a staunch atheist and attributes all his faith to being nothing more than a fairy tale.

The fact you still believe gives me hope. If you have called, by name, something evil which is actually divine and good, then I think repentance is possible. Come back, brother.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You use this verse correctly, but only in a way. In context, this means that if someone rejects the ultimate sacrifice, Christ Himself, then there is nothing greater to atone. The "go on sinning deliberately" is the unbelief that he is talking about in the context of this statement and throughout the epistle. Notice it is immediately before the faith chapter (11), so he is talking about faith in the Messiah (that is, trusting Him).

The obverse is also true. If one embraces Christ, there is no need to fear condemnation. Heb. 6:19 "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bathelter01

Apr 21, 2019
Tennessee
✟19,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You use this verse correctly, but only in a way. In context, this means that if someone rejects the ultimate sacrifice, Christ Himself, then there is nothing greater to atone. The "go on sinning deliberately" is the unbelief that he is talking about in the context of this statement and throughout the epistle. Notice it is immediately before the faith chapter (11), so he is talking about faith in the Messiah (that is, trusting Him).

The obverse is also true. If one embraces Christ, there is no need to fear condemnation. Heb. 6:19 "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil."

When you say "the unbelief that he is talking about," what exactly is this unbelief? General unbelief, as in rejecting Christ?
The reason I ask is because, ultimately, all sin stems from unbelief. If I steal, I show that I don't belie that the Lord is good and will provide for my needs. Or at least I'm not believing in that moment. Could he be speaking of that kind of unbelief? And how do we know?

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I really think this is good advice, for people who doubt their salvation:

get off thinking of yourself, and concentrate (pray, etc.) on Jesus saving the lost, through you.

If you are thinking of saving the lost (I mean in the sense of "as a rule"), the Devil won't have time to pick at your helmet of salvation (because your shield of faith will be in the way)

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When you say "the unbelief that he is talking about," what exactly is this unbelief? General unbelief, as in rejecting Christ?
The reason I ask is because, ultimately, all sin stems from unbelief. If I steal, I show that I don't belie that the Lord is good and will provide for my needs. Or at least I'm not believing in that moment. Could he be speaking of that kind of unbelief? And how do we know?
Yes, exactly. But keep in mind that it is not a function of natural reasoning. It's a function of the spirit. Just because we have feelings of doubt, unbelief in our minds, and confusion, doesn't mean we are unbelievers at that point. We keep on trusting Christ through the troubled times, and that is the faith that pleases God. "The one who trusts in Him shall not be disappointed."

Reactions: bathelter01
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Context. The writer of the epistle is deeply concerned with Jewish converts abandoning the faith and returning back to their former Judaism. As such the author wants to make it very clear that if one deliberately turns away from Christ, rejects all of God's gifts, then one is throwing away their salvation.

This is not about messing up and then God saying, "Well, tough, looks like you're out of luck now." Because that's not God, God doesn't do that or say that. That's not who He is. He is the God of endless mercy, compassion, and boundless forgiveness. Our forgiveness is not conditional on us getting our t's crossed and i's dotted, but on what Christ has already done for us. You weren't forgiven when you did X, Y, or Z; you were forgiven when Christ was nailed to that cross, bled, His flesh broken, and His life expired and He died for you. You received that forgiveness, personally, through the Gospel, when God worked His work upon you and gave you faith. For "faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of Christ" (Romans 10:17) And so as a believing, baptized child of God having received the Holy Spirit, you are an heir of God, joint-heir with Christ, and you have been indelibly marked and sealed with the very name of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

There is only one who tells God's children that they are beyond hope, and that is the devil; and he is a liar, a thief, and a murderer. And he is a defeated dog, Christ has conquered. Christ is risen!

"So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: 'I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!'" - Martin Luther

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: bathelter01
Upvote 0

Zhen

Feb 21, 2019
Singapore
✟31,863.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are focusing on your condition, not on dependence on Christ. I gave some concrete advise but you went back to your condition. It is not just reading the Bible but WHERE you are reading, so that the Holy Spirit can bring greater conviction. I agree with another poster you haven't committed the unpardonable sin. That is a lie from the devil, to try & get you to give up or harm yourself. 'He is a murderer from the beginning & the father of lies. He comes to 'kill, steal & destroy.' He is your true enemy. It is he that you must resist, putting on the whole armor of God.

You can mentally go through the armor of God in Ephesians 6, putting it on. That is a good practice each day.

Have you submitted yourself to spiritual authority & leadership to help you walk through this time of difficulty? That shows you are serious in dealing with it & you will be amazed at having the power of prayer & support of those who are concerned with helping you & the 'effectual fervent prayers of a righteous man have great power in their results.' If two or more of you agree on what they ask, it will be given them.'

Have you been reading Romans six through eight each day? Have you been reading Psalm 51 & 32 each day? Have you sought to remove the 'provisions' so that you can't keep fulfilling the desires of your flesh? What have you done to do this?

There must be a COST on your part & sacrifice. If inappropriate contentography is a problem, then you buy software to keep you from accessing those sites & the password is given to another person so you can't go & change the settings.

The next step you need to do is deny your flesh & get your focus off of it. This involves extended time in fasting & prayer. You will have to set aside several weekends for example to start, fasting during this time & going to a place where you won't have distractions. It is amazing what happens when you do this.

You have given the devil 'FOOTHOLDS' in your life. (Ephesians 4:26,27)

"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry & do not give the devil a foothold.

The Greek word for foothold is a military term, where an enemy establishes a
'beachhead' & takes a beginning ground, from which to launch attacks. You have allowed these footholds, these beachheads, these grounds in your life from which the enemy of your soul launches his fiery darts & arrows. You must take back this ground you have given away.

When my heart was callous toward the Lord one time, I took extended time (25 days fasting) waiting on the Lord, listening. God was faithful & showed me specific things that must change & He 'granted repentance that led to the acknowledging of the truth.'

Isaiah 58:1-12
“Cry aloud; do not hold back;
lift up your voice like a trumpet;
declare to my people their transgression,
to the house of Jacob their sins.
2Yet they seek me daily
and delight to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that did righteousness
and did not forsake the judgment of their God;
they ask of me righteous judgments;
they delight to draw near to God.
3‘Why have we fasted, and you see it not?
Why have we humbled ourselves, and you take no knowledge of it?’
Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure,a
and oppress all your workers.
4Behold, you fast only to quarrel and to fight
and to hit with a wicked fist.
Fasting like yours this day
will not make your voice to be heard on high.
5Is such the fast that I choose,
a day for a person to humble himself?
Is it to bow down his head like a reed,
and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him?
Will you call this a fast,
and a day acceptable to the Lord?

6“Is not this the fast that I choose:
to loose the bonds of wickedness,
to undo the straps of the yoke,
to let the oppressedb go free,
and to break every yoke?
7Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
and bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked, to cover him,
and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
8Then shall your light break forth like the dawn,
and your healing shall spring up speedily;
your righteousness shall go before you;
the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
9Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;
you shall cry, and he will say, ‘Here I am.’
If you take away the yoke from your midst,
the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
10if you pour yourself out for the hungry
and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
then shall your light rise in the darkness
and your gloom be as the noonday.
11And the Lord will guide you continually
and satisfy your desire in scorched places
and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring of water,
whose waters do not fail.
12And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt;
you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
you shall be called the repairer of the breach,
the restorer of streets to dwell in.

When you fast & during this time, you volunteer to help others, work in soup lines, go down to the local gospel mission or go with a team to minister to prisoners in jail or work with those going into the slums & dealing with helping addicts & alcoholics, who have been bound with the cords of their sin. You see what has happened to them, having gone much farther than you.

It develops GENUINE COMPASSION for others & gets your eyes off yourself. Sign up this week or go with someone to the local gospel mission & offer your services.

um may i know how one can do prayer and fasting?

Upvote 0