• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I've been trying to stop drinking. Something in me wants to continue. Something in me wants to stop.

Firearms

Feb 25, 2014
Colorado
✟18,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I registered to this site three years ago, during a time when I was trying to find repentance for my drinking problem. I thought this past Thursday was going to be my first day of sobriety, but it wasn't. I've had several, isolated days of abstinence this year, but the next day is always back to getting drunk again.

I've been going through substance abuse for over 20 years now. It was first smoking pot everyday and adding alcohol on the weekends. I met my wife back then, fell in love and I got her hooked on weed as well. We partied together, I grew the plants in our closet, we traveled all over, and had a time of it for several years. We smoked pot everyday and got drunk on the weekends. We got married after four or so years, then four or five years later, began having kids.

I'll back up further here and say that I come from a church family. Many would say I grew up in a Christian home. My dad was a preacher in Oklahoma around the time of my birth and Mom tried all our lives to keep us in church. I've always been drawn back to church. I've prayed regularly since I was a little boy. I can't say when or if there was a new birth moment to my life, but if there was, possibly it was sometime around 7th or 8th grade, maybe the summer between.

After my wife and I had been living together for some years, we got married, we then both got baptized within a year of the wedding. I decided we'd move to another state so that I could continue living the way I wanted, further from family, and in a more tolerant environment of my drug of choice. We'd been going to church together before and after getting married, and when we moved away, one of the first things we did was find a good church and began attending weekly. We've been attending church there purposefully for about 14 years now. I've been serving in a leadership capacity there for eight or so years now.

Back when we finally decided to have kids, I didn't want to continue in the criminal activity I had been in, so I turned off the grow lights, smoked up the last of the pot, and that chapter of my life was over. I just couldn't have kids in the house and be growing and smoking weed like that.

I was left with the weekend drinking, and upped the dosage. I drank beer primarily and I knew I had a problem. When my son was born, I didn't want to drink around my kids, I decided I couldn't financially afford to keep buying beer, so I stopped, but pride brought be back in. My wife told my parents that I'd stopped drinking, and I was given the prodigal son congratulations, which embarrassed me to death. I told my dad that no, I didn't stop drinking, I just didn't have the money to be doing it like usual. So I started drinking on the weekends again just to save face.

My drinking picked up over the next several years, and I seem to lose all kinds of control at the first of 2011. Up was down, right was left, I couldn't make sense of what was happening and I couldn't get a hold of myself. I tried to figure out logically what exactly I was going through, but I couldn't do it.

The weekend drinking moved into a weekday or two, especially if I came home and the wife and kids were gone or if she was going to leave for an event in the evening. If I was home alone, I'd drink. I knew things were getting bad and I wanted to stop what I was doing. That was three years ago. That's when I registered here and on another forum, to seek guidance, anonymously. The other place I registered was at carm.org, and I posted a prayer request there for repentance. One or two members there pointed me to SettingCaptivesFree.com and I quickly went there and began a course. I went all the way through the New Wine course, not improving at all. I used the Bible to debate my mentor and played word games and tried to make myself look like a Scriptural expert. It was all a show of pride and vanity. I wasn't even focused on killing sin so much as I wanted to show off my knowledge of the Bible. So I failed.

I signed up again to go back through Setting Captives Free, and I did another 90 days without improvement. Got to the end and I was no better than before. During each time through, I came to the determination that I was a false convert, that I wasn't a true follower of Jesus. When I finished the second course, I never went back. I knew this was going to be harder than I ever initially thought. I told my wife that I was an alcoholic, and she flat out did not believe me. She rejected that idea. That seemed to light up the pride in me again as if to say, 'Oh yeah, just watch. I'll show you that I'm an alcoholic'.

I thought admitting you have a problem was the first step. I thought calling it what it is, was the beginning of recovery. I don't really think so anymore. My dad had a bit of a drinking problem years ago. It was quite minor I think, but he was able to cut the head off his habit and walk away from it for good.

I kept drinking beer three or four nights a week, year after year. It continued in that trajectory until a couple years ago, the flood gates just burst in that I started drinking every single day after work. I knew I was in REAL trouble. I knew I had a BIG problem.

One huge problem is that I'm too prideful to seek help. I've asked my wife to help me, but she isn't able to do it. I've come up with a lot of different plans and ways to beat this thing, but I always fail. I've prayed ten thousand prayers for Jesus to rescue me from this, to give me the Spirit of Self Control. I pray the same prayers every morning, every single morning. I confess my sins to God, ask Him for His mercy and strength. I plead with Him to hear me, to save me, to help me!

I try and quit once or twice every week. I'll run out of beer and I'll say, "Okay, this is it. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life. Lord, I want to turn away from this and back to you. Help me lay this down and be done with it". But as those of you who've conquered addiction know, temptation comes right back to you. Sin crouches at the doorway in waiting. Sometimes I'm able to skip a day, but it's only a day. The next day's temptation will be too great or I'll just be too rebellious and I'll return to my folly like a fool.

One of the things I remember from Setting Captives Free is the suggestion to have a destruction party, break all the booze bottles and pour it all down the drain. It seemed sort of silly, but I've been trying everything I could imagine. One morning last week, I thought the Lord was speaking to me. I remembered that suggestion and it really sank deep in as if God was asking me to go pour out that case of beer and he would hold me up. I prayed about it and I made a commitment to do it. I was a little afraid of failure because everything else had failed. I also knew that if it didn't work, I'd likely never do it again; once one thing doesn't work, I move on and try something else. But I wanted freedom, and I thought I'd heard from God, so I went out in the garage and I poured every single can out.

That was Thursday and I didn't go buy more beer or drink that day. But the next day was Friday and like a pig, I went right back to my wallow.

I'm an alcoholic. I drink 10 to 15 beers almost every night. I don't know if I can stop all by myself, but something in me wants to stop drinking. Something in me doesn't want to stop at all.

Last edited:

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
not going to preach repentance or any steps, but i WOULD like to point out that the real biblical gospel solution for any addiction, is always the frui of the spirit. As one of the 9 fruits paul mentions in gal 6 is the fruit of "abstionence", it covers anything we would be addicted to, drugs, food, gossip, tv, inappropriate content.
And so the good news its supposed to be a fruit, and we all know a fruit is something we can not produce but comes from a outflow of the spirit. IN other words, literalyl a fruit of the spirit, not a fruit of us.

So if i were you, i would use the addiction as a spring board to try to leadn how to walk in spirit, understand int and practice it, not with the focus of being free, but using the addiction as atest to see how free you get. This falls under "learning obedience trough suffering" something jesus himself was under, as it says in hebrews.
And the foundation to treat it this way is alwasy taht the blood of jesus covers for ever any law in heaven, there are no commands being against you, this must be totally clear, or condemnation must be defeated first, as it keeps us under the law, and the law is the power of sin. The desire to be free is of course right, and fefinly inspired by the spirit inside you, but condemnation for it is NOT. thats always from the law, and jesus makes it lcrea we died way from the same law. Its only in this freedom from the law, that we can start to enjoy the blessings taht comes from being free form the law, including freedom from addictions.

Also, see it impersonal. Not see it as a fault YOU do and blame yourself. Its a human condition that we all are in. Some have allergies. You have an addiction. You wouldnt condemn someone for a allergy, neither should you condemn anyone for an addiction they are trying to get free from. Not even yourself.

Hope any of it makes sense. Its a short version of lessons learnt years and years of seeking god.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Addictions are confusing wants as needs, even too much of a need is a want. First you should learn to have an awareness about what you want versus what's actually needed. Then start putting what's needed before your want.

My experience is it's best to do it by habit, stop doing something you want and do what's needed. Just take it day by day, when you know or sense something is wrong; admit to yourself what you shouldn't and why you shouldn't.

After having that awareness, move from it by doing something else in it's place. This where it'll help to understand why you drink, if it's boredom for example; you need to do something else that fills the void. Idea is just find something that's more productive for you to handle why you do it, and do that instead of drinking.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 6:10

“Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.”

I strongly reject this kind of use of the bible.

If acting on a bible verse because a person want to avoid not being denied entrerance into the kingdom of heaven, that makes that person a legalist. There is no way around it. And the law is the pwoer of sin and death, thats also a quote from the same book!

But waht about THE NEXT VERSE???

"11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. "

WHat paul is saying is not that you will be denied the kingdom if you are addicted to alcohol, he is saying this may have been the case BEFORE christ. When youre in christ, you need to believe verse 11.

Do you deny that this person is in christ, is washed, is sanctified? Then you need to get a LIFE! this makes me extremly upset. Hwo about beliving the gospel for once? Maybe that change of midset actually would allow the gospel to work? Or is it just a game when paul says "be changed by the renewing of your minds"?

When will chrsitians top being pharasees and basically spend their time binding people in their sins?

Its horrible

• Prayers
Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
forget the humanistic answers. If you want the gospel way, its only this: abstinence is a fruit of the spirit. Its suppose to be good news. Jesus is suppose to have taken the burden om himself. All other "jobs friends" advice...well its just not the gospel.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

briteyyez

Apr 16, 2017
martinsville
✟7,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi Brian you said you thought admitting there was a problem was the first step it is but you also have to admit that you are powerless. Its a big step. I feel for you, I do but you can change this. I don't believe from what I read, and thats all I can go by, that you are really a false convert. I think you do believe, but like everyone you are a fallen, sinful human. We all are. It is not easy to stop any addiction, but honestly until you are willing to want to stop completely, every cell of your being, you are going to have trouble. When there is an active addiction, your mind will play lots of tricks on you to get you to continue the addiction, you have to get to the point, where you believe that one day at a time, or .. at times.. one minute at a time you can get through it by God's grace and the tools and people he can give you to help you.
God bless and good luck
Serena

I registered to this site three years ago, during a time when I was trying to find repentance for my drinking problem. I thought this past Thursday was going to be my first day of sobriety, but it wasn't. I've had several, isolated days of abstinence this year, but the next day is always back to getting drunk again.

I've been going through substance abuse for over 20 years now. It was first smoking pot everyday and adding alcohol on the weekends. I met my wife back then, fell in love and I got her hooked on weed as well. We partied together, I grew the plants in our closet, we traveled all over, and had a time of it for several years. We smoked pot everyday and got drunk on the weekends. We got married after four or so years, then four or five years later, began having kids.

I'll back up further here and say that I come from a church family. Many would say I grew up in a Christian home. My dad was a preacher in Oklahoma around the time of my birth and Mom tried all our lives to keep us in church. I've always been drawn back to church. I've prayed regularly since I was a little boy. I can't say when or if there was a new birth moment to my life, but if there was, possibly it was sometime around 7th or 8th grade, maybe the summer between.

After my wife and I had been living together for some years, we got married, we then both got baptized within a year of the wedding. I decided we'd move to another state so that I could continue living the way I wanted, further from family, and in a more tolerant environment of my drug of choice. We'd been going to church together before and after getting married, and when we moved away, one of the first things we did was find a good church and began attending weekly. We've been attending church there purposefully for about 14 years now. I've been serving in a leadership capacity there for eight or so years now.

Back when we finally decided to have kids, I didn't want to continue in the criminal activity I had been in, so I turned off the grow lights, smoked up the last of the pot, and that chapter of my life was over. I just couldn't have kids in the house and be growing and smoking weed like that.

I was left with the weekend drinking, and upped the dosage. I drank beer primarily and I knew I had a problem. When my son was born, I didn't want to drink around my kids, I decided I couldn't financially afford to keep buying beer, so I stopped, but pride brought be back in. My wife told my parents that I'd stopped drinking, and I was given the prodigal son congratulations, which embarrassed me to death. I told my dad that no, I didn't stop drinking, I just didn't have the money to be doing it like usual. So I started drinking on the weekends again just to save face.

My drinking picked up over the next several years, and I seem to lose all kinds of control at the first of 2011. Up was down, right was left, I couldn't make sense of what was happening and I couldn't get a hold of myself. I tried to figure out logically what exactly I was going through, but I couldn't do it.

The weekend drinking moved into a weekday or two, especially if I came home and the wife and kids were gone or if she was going to leave for an event in the evening. If I was home alone, I'd drink. I knew things were getting bad and I wanted to stop what I was doing. That was three years ago. That's when I registered here and on another forum, to seek guidance, anonymously. The other place I registered was at carm.org, and I posted a prayer request there for repentance. One or two members there pointed me to SettingCaptivesFree.com and I quickly went there and began a course. I went all the way through the New Wine course, not improving at all. I used the Bible to debate my mentor and played word games and tried to make myself look like a Scriptural expert. It was all a show of pride and vanity. I wasn't even focused on killing sin so much as I wanted to show off my knowledge of the Bible. So I failed.

I signed up again to go back through Setting Captives Free, and I did another 90 days without improvement. Got to the end and I was no better than before. During each time through, I came to the determination that I was a false convert, that I wasn't a true follower of Jesus. When I finished the second course, I never went back. I knew this was going to be harder than I ever initially thought. I told my wife that I was an alcoholic, and she flat out did not believe me. She rejected that idea. That seemed to light up the pride in me again as if to say, 'Oh yeah, just watch. I'll show you that I'm an alcoholic'.

I thought admitting you have a problem was the first step. I thought calling it what it is, was the beginning of recovery. I don't really think so anymore. My dad had a bit of a drinking problem years ago. It was quite minor I think, but he was able to cut the head off his habit and walk away from it for good.

I kept drinking beer three or four nights a week, year after year. It continued in that trajectory until a couple years ago, the flood gates just burst in that I started drinking every single day after work. I knew I was in REAL trouble. I knew I had a BIG problem.

One huge problem is that I'm too prideful to seek help. I've asked my wife to help me, but she isn't able to do it. I've come up with a lot of different plans and ways to beat this thing, but I always fail. I've prayed ten thousand prayers for Jesus to rescue me from this, to give me the Spirit of Self Control. I pray the same prayers every morning, every single morning. I confess my sins to God, ask Him for His mercy and strength. I plead with Him to hear me, to save me, to help me!

I try and quit once or twice every week. I'll run out of beer and I'll say, "Okay, this is it. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life. Lord, I want to turn away from this and back to you. Help me lay this down and be done with it". But as those of you who've conquered addiction know, temptation comes right back to you. Sin crouches at the doorway in waiting. Sometimes I'm able to skip a day, but it's only a day. The next day's temptation will be too great or I'll just be too rebellious and I'll return to my folly like a fool.

One of the things I remember from Setting Captives Free is the suggestion to have a destruction party, break all the booze bottles and pour it all down the drain. It seemed sort of silly, but I've been trying everything I could imagine. One morning last week, I thought the Lord was speaking to me. I remembered that suggestion and it really sank deep in as if God was asking me to go pour out that case of beer and he would hold me up. I prayed about it and I made a commitment to do it. I was a little afraid of failure because everything else had failed. I also knew that if it didn't work, I'd likely never do it again; once one thing doesn't work, I move on and try something else. But I wanted freedom, and I thought I'd heard from God, so I went out in the garage and I poured every single can out.

That was Thursday and I didn't go buy more beer or drink that day. But the next day was Friday and like a pig, I went right back to my wallow.

I'm an alcoholic. I drink 10 to 15 beers almost every night. I don't know if I can stop all by myself, but something in me wants to stop drinking. Something in me doesn't want to stop at all.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Firearms

Feb 25, 2014
Colorado
✟18,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I began yesterday very angry at my sin. My health has been ruined by my drinking problem and I'm scared that I'm going to end up with major health problems or dead, orphaning my children and leaving my wife widowed all alone. I'm afraid that I'm going to lose my career, health, family, and faith to this evil. I hate myself for normalizing drunkenness in the young eyes of my small kids. I'm effectually teaching them that this behavior is good and normal, and I can't stand that.

I made up my mind that I'm sick and tired of this horrible habit and I decided that I was turning from my sin and running back to God. Yesterday morning I plead with God to forgive me, to strengthen me, to help me get out of this pit. I confessed my pride and laziness, my arrogance, my outright rebellion against Him. I confessed my drunkenness and that I'm wrongfully placing this stumbling stone in the path of my kids. I confessed that I know I am deceived and that having eyes, I can't always see, having ears, I can't always hear. I told Him that, "I'm done Lord. I choose You over this wickedness. Please rescue and receive me".

I listened to a couple sermons yesterday while working. I usually listen to three or so sermons and another three podcasts during my week, just trying to keep teaching and preaching in my brain. During the day yesterday, I continually prayed that the Holy Spirit would be there in the afternoon when temptation comes. I told God that there is just no way I'm going to be able to do this apart from His grace.

As I pulled out of the parking lot at work, I prayed and told God that He's got to intervene here, He's got to show up and keep me from failing again. I told him that the only way I'm going to resist and prevail against the temptation to drive to the liquor store is if His Holy Spirit can hold me up in strength.

My wife took two of the kids out last night, leaving me at home with the little one.

I've had hundreds upon hundreds of days just like yesterday where I really try to put my sin to death by way of prayer and depending on the Holy Spirit to help me. But just like yesterday, I've ended up back in my folly and I break under temptation. So I woke up this morning, again angry at my sin, so miserable that I drank again last night. It's making me so bitter, depressed, hardened and alone.

I feel like all it might take is for a loved one to call me each afternoon to talk briefly about my addiction, my goals toward sobriety, and maybe pray with me about it. I don't know if just a small bit of support from someone who loves me at the right moment would be enough to get me though, but I know it couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Firearms

Feb 25, 2014
Colorado
✟18,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mornings and evenings, I'm two different persons. I wake up and hate the man I was the evening before. I wake up and I wish I would just quit and stop this madness. But the me that comes home in the evening wants to be left alone to get drunk. I'm at war with myself and the part of me that wants to quit is losing. I'm double minded. I hate this struggle. I don't want to give up and give into the wicked life I'm living. I don't know what's going to become of me because I'm not doing any better. I haven't made any gains or improvements.

I was able to abstain this past Thursday. I don't know how it happened other than to say that I received a portion of strength from the Holy Spirit, just at the right moment of my day.

Long ago, I gave my credit cards to my wife and told her to hold them for me because having them makes it just too easy to get beer anytime I wish. It didn't really prohibit me from doing so, just made it a little more difficult. When I don't have the cards, I have to go to the bank and withdraw cash, then head to the store. My wife has gotten frustrated enough with this, that she's just given in and gave me back the cards, which is a let down. I really need her to fight with me, so I keep giving them back to her. I think that anything that can get in the way, any obstacle to this habit, anything that will impede the ease of indulging is necessary. This is the only thing she does to help me try and quit drinking.

Well, it's true that adding the complication of having to go to the bank isn't much of an obstacle, from what I can see from the past several weeks. So I recently began leaving my drivers license at home as well. I can't withdraw cash without it, so that's the latest thing I've come up with.

I really just wish I'd quit once and for all, so all of this silliness will end.

Anyways, Thursday. I listened to sermons online for most of the day while working. It was good stuff. I didn't have my cards or license, so my wicked mind started toying with the idea of 'borrowing' some petty cash from the office to get some beer. What an abhorrent idea, right? But I stuck to the sermons and kept praying all day until it was time to close up the office and head home. That's the moment I need the strength to break the cycle, and there have been several times this year where God shows up and I'm able to make it home without getting alcohol. He did it again on Thursday. As I was walking out the door, the thought of grabbing some cash from my office and getting beer hit me, and I froze. I was standing there, looking out the front door for a couple seconds, then I snapped and thought, "No, forget it. Just go home". So I did. What's even better is that my wife was already scheduled to be gone that evening, so it was going to be just me and the kids. I haven't spent a sober evening alone in years, but I did Thursday. It was awesome. I watched more sermons online and enjoyed being sober that night. I slept pretty well and woke up glad.

I wasn't as fortunate the following days and nights though.

My 9-year old son said something to me yesterday that stung. Him and I were in one vehicle, my wife and other kids in another, we were all headed back home. My boy wanted me to 'race' them home, which I did I guess. I had determined to get some beer after some hard work, and I wanted to try and get in and out of the liquor store and still make it to the house before or at the same time as the other vehicle. Like a coward, I picked up a case of beer, and my son was disappointed that we 'lost the race' and didn't get to the house first. You know how little kids are about stuff like that. He wanted to race Mom home and I let him down because I thought getting beer was more important.

He told me that, "Beer is just too precious to you and it made us get home last. You worship beer.", he said. Through nervous laughter, I asked him who gave him that idea. I asked him if he didn't think I worshiped Jesus. I first thought that he's probably just repeating something my wife told him. My kids have told me some things she says to them about my drinking problem, but I've never confronted her about it. Even though I wish she would talk to me about my alcoholism in stead of taking about me behind my back, I know that everything is still my fault here. And my son is right. That little boy sees his Dad in idolatry, and knows what's going on. I remember that was a part of the Setting Captives Free course. You gotta own up to the fact that this covetousness is idolatry.

I want to stop drinking so bad.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My brother went through that for decades, going through detox several times .
The new nationwide detox they are offering (apparently on tv) funded by millions of dollars and costs $30,000 for somewhere between 30 to 90 days - sometimes 'free' or covered by insurance -
works. It is likely the only program, or one like it, strict and living there, that will help .

There used to be one in Oregon or Washington state, much better, much less expensive, and known world wide, but that was 20 or more years ago, and can't find any information on it now.

No matter what, it won't be easy. Alcohol will destroy the family though if it is not stopped.

OH, fwiw - one of the best Christian deliverance for anyone, (used to be), was David Wilkerson's
various ministries in New York City and New York State, then nation wide and maybe in other countries to. It was at one time 'ideal', clean, effective, and worked on the whole person starting with
the spirit and prayer, and continuing throughout with the spirit and prayer , with good and wise leadership on hand all the time. Various sources seem to indicate it may still be good, or may not be.

The battle is God's , but requires complete surrender on the person's part.
Whether in God's house, or in the rehab house, complete surrender ...
before it is too late.

Addictions are nothing to fool around with.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Firearms

Feb 25, 2014
Colorado
✟18,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tuesday was a great day. As I was working and driving about, I listened to great teaching. I had almost zero urge to acquire beer or drink that day. I believe the Holy Spirit gave me both strength and peace that day. It was a lot like Thursday of last week, only better. Those were to first two days that I both abstained from drinking and enjoyed it as well. Most all the days that I've gone without drinking this year have been hard, unsatisfying, boring, and frustrating. I didn't like abstaining on those days, I was just doing it because I had to or because I knew I needed to. Tuesday though, I didn't get drunk, not because I had to abstain, but because I got to. I wanted to be sober, and it was a gift that I enjoyed.

I felt so good about it that I really did believe Wednesday would become the first sober streak (two days in a row) that I'd abstained in years. It almost was, but I failed. I had some difficult temptations Wednesday afternoon and I flat-out wanted to drink. But I had prepared for it, in making war against this sin, I didn't have any credit cards on me, I didn't have ID on me which keeps me from withdrawing from my bank account, and I didn't have it in my heart to borrow any petty cash from my office because I was buoyed by the previous day's enjoyment of sobriety. I was itching to drink though, on the commute back home. I just had no way to obtain any beer, which was good. I was frustrated and I knew that my wife had taken the kids out that day and I thought that if she hadn't made it back home yet, I was going to grab some cash from home and go get a case of beer. She was home.

As I walked up the driveway, I was fuming inside about how much I wanted to drink, and I instantly realized that I was still worshiping this other idol, even though I wasn't physically holding the idol in my hand, I was obsessed with it. I hated that idea. I hated myself for being an idolater.

Most all day Wednesday, I had been trying to remember to bring a couple food items from work to the house for my wife and I to process. I'd taken them out of my fridge at work and needed to take them home. I totally forgot about them and had left them at the office. I never even remembered them once after getting to the house, but my wife asked me if I'd brought them and I was shocked that I'd forgotten them. So I had to run back to the office and get them so that they didn't spoil overnight. That trip back was the broken link where the chain of strength to abstain failed. I was in temptation, weak and frustrated, had access to cash, and heading into town was necessary. My failure happened because I took some money, headed back to the office, and on the return home, I bought some beer.

I had my daughter with me, and as we were leaving the liquor store, she lightly admonished me that I need to quit. I told her that I agree and that I've been trying. I think that was the first time that I've confessed to one of my kids, but it's not the first time they've spoken to me about drinking. My wife obviously talks to them from time to time about it, telling them that I need to stop and they all need to help me. My wife doesn't talk to me about my drinking though. I sort of wish she would. I think it would help.

Well, I'm out of beer today, I want to abstain, and I want to repent for good. By the grace of God, I will. I haven't laid sober in bed on a Friday night in many, many years. May this be the first in so long.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Leeabc

Apr 29, 2017
Rockford
✟15,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Brian. Something prompted me to join this forum out of the blue this morning. Now I realize why. I'm dealing with exactly the same issue. Every morning I read my Bible and pray fervently for deliverance from this affliction, determined not to drink, go to work and feel like crap all day, and come home and drink anyway. Day after day. I had beat this affliction for a long time and then one drink at a company party a few months ago brought me right back into the addiction cycle.

First of all, your story is my story and it's practically verbatim the stories in the Alcohol Anonymous Big Book. What really strikes me about your story is the self-condemnation. It is part of the well-documented shame cycle of addiction. You NEED to understand that alcoholism is a disease, not a moral failure. The medical community, psychiatric community, AA community, and any Christian who is a true recovering alcoholic recognizes alcoholism as a disease. A disease is not a sin - Jesus understands that a disease is not a sin. Diabetics don't condemn themselves for not being able to regulate their sugar intake, and neither does Jesus.

The disease does, however, cause you to do things that are contrary to the person you know you are in Christ. It causes "drug seeking behavior", "justification" and "rationalization" which jeopardize your personal integrity, as they create a deception - a fantasy reality that is in opposition to your true identity and purpose in Christ. Jesus knows who you truly are - the disease causes you to act in ways that are not in harmony with that reality. A house divided against itself cannot stand - and that is what alcoholism causes us to be (that is why AA states that the only result if we keep drinking is insanity, institutionalization or death). You are dealing with a problem that millions of others deal with. You are not alone. Unfortunately, abstinence is the only solution - and it can't be accomplished by "self-control" (please read the first three steps of AA).

You are not condemned by God for this affliction. In fact, I believe that alcoholics are blessed with the rare opportunity to truly surrender to God and experience the peace that passes understanding. I also believe that we are afflicted with this ailment so that we can be in a unique position to help others in the future - this is why God allows us to undergo this torture. I have talked to many recovering alcoholics who consider their experience with alcoholism to have been a huge blessing.

Please don't listen to any "Christian" who has not personally experienced a struggle with addiction and offers holier-than-thou legalistic condemnations about the eternal penalties of "drunkenness". Alcohol addiction is not about "self-control". It is WAR. God will equip us for the battle; he "goes before us and will be our rear guard", but only he can win the war.

PLEASE buy a copy of the AA Big Book and go to a MEETING. If alcoholism is a disease, the meetings with other sufferers are the medicine. Every AA member has been - or is - where you are right now. AA members are some of the wisest, most beautiful, humble, godly people I have ever met.

Blessings,
Lee

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Firearms

Feb 25, 2014
Colorado
✟18,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to correct something I posted in the OP.
I also knew that if it didn't work, I'd likely never do it again; once one thing doesn't work, I move on and try something else.
This is obviously not universally true because I've been praying over and over for years, and even though they never seemed to be heard or answered, I wouldn't stop doing so. Because there is really no alternative.

Someone new has been praying for me, I can tell. A lot of people have been praying about this for me for years, family, church friends, my wife and I, tens of thousands of prayers, but I've no had improvement until sometime in January of this year. That's when I began to receive a measure of strength one day here, another day there, and I reached abstinence for a day, then later another, as I have posted earlier.

Fast forward to April of 2017 when I began posting on a few different forums like this. Things began to change, I started having days of abstinence closer together, more frequent. Things accelerated. God is hearing the prayers of someone, and those prayers are about me! That's what I've been wanting for so long. That's what I need. I don't think there's another explanation for it.

I got a little bit of this during my two cycles through Setting Captives Free too, but nothing like this.

The Holy Spirit has been at work in my life over the past couple weeks. I've been getting strength, right when I needed it. I have no other way to explain it. This is happening. I've witnessed it.

I was able to abstain while my wife was gone for the evening a week or two ago. That was an impossible thing, absolutely impossible for me until it happened recently. I didn't do that, He did. That was a first, but not the only 'first' that I've experienced in the last 4 weeks or so. I'm truly blessed to be receiving the will and the power to be achieving these 'firsts'. Thank God that He directed my path in the direction he did several weeks ago.

I've been 100% sober for about 80 hours right now. Yep, over three days in a row.

God has heard the prayers of someone, most definitely from people who have read the posts I've made in the recent weeks. I pray that God would continue this work for another three days, then another, and another. I'm focused on today though. May God's grace carry me through.

Thanks be to God for this. But also, thank you to everyone who has prayed for me. Thank you so much.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
...I'm an alcoholic. I drink 10 to 15 beers almost every night. I don't know if I can stop all by myself, but something in me wants to stop drinking. Something in me doesn't want to stop at all.
You sound like me. I suggest joining the AA or NA fellowship in your area.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Firearms

Feb 25, 2014
Colorado
✟18,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm on another streak of sober days, thank the Lord God for this merciful strength that through His Holy Spirit, I've been able to abstain. Getting a bit easier I think. Thank you to all who've prayed on my behalf. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective, I am experiencing this first hand.

It's hard to sleep, or fall asleep at night these days. My body was so used to passing out drunk that I'm having a real hard time each night to fall asleep. I think I stay awake, turning back and forth to relax, until about 3am or 4am every night. I get 3 or 4 hours of sleep and have been late to work just about every day over the last two weeks. It's my fault, I plunged into this addiction and made my body accustom to going to sleep every night in that condition.

While I lay awake each night though, I get frustrated or bitter that I'm having to go through sleeplessness. I blame everyone, even God, all the while knowing it's just my own fault. I pray that He'll help me get to sleep, but its about the same each night; not until 3am-4am. I start feeling like He's not listening to my prayers for all the reasons the Bible details that He'll ignore our prayers. I almost convince myself of it in fact.

I went through a plainly normal day yesterday, working at the office with a full day, then going home to more work there as well. I didn't buy alcohol, didn't drink, although Thursdays typically include a bit more temptation than the preceding days. I didn't drink, nor buy alcohol. Had I, I would be regretting it a thousand times more right now than the usual day after drinking. I would have fallen asleep so much easier had I drank.

The wife and I haven't had, what I'd consider a 'good' relationship in many years, always at each other if we can't hold it back, always picking apart each other's words, deeds, choices, treatment of kids, each other, etc. We both walk in a good bit of unforgiveness over all kinds of stuff. It's no surprise, I'm not giving her what she needs, and vice versa. We are committed to this marriage and family though. It is a strength that only God could have placed within us. We are in this for good.

Not being able to sleep last night, I got up around midnight because I was stewing inside about her not helping me through my struggles, never talking to me about any of it. Our relationship is odd in that I'm the one that wants to talk about all possible issues, she bottles it all up and won't discuss these things, at least with me. I got out of bed at midnight, went to the computer and typed out a pretty nasty email to her. I didn't send it though, having learned from experience that doing so in that mood is flat-out wrong. It was a bad email, just bad. I went back to bed and thought of some other stuff I should have typed, so I grabbed my iPhone and typed out another couple sentences. Didn't send them, just saved them to look at later to see if the light of day makes them worthwhile, which it usually doesn't. Mother's Day is at hand after all. These are the two sentences I typed on the iPhone:

All your choices and efforts from the past 19 years built the marriage you have today.
All your choices and efforts from today are building the marriage you'll have in 19 years.

Ouch, what an accusation, right? But just then, right at that moment, 18 minutes after midnight, the Holy Spirit reminds me...

Holy Spirit: Ehem... hey uh, ya know... today was your anniversary.

WOW. Just WOW.

She never mentioned it either. No cards, nothing. Whoa.

I don't know if anyone reading this has ever had a day, week, etc. where every tiny detail, and I mean tiny, after looking back, was placed specifically so, even sins, instrumental in all sovereign grandness that the outcome was undeniably orchestrated by God Himself and it almost does feel like you were a puppet hung by the strings that He guided and directed.

I've had a few. This week culminated with all things coming together for our benefit at 12:18am this morning. Man am I glad I didn't give into the increased level of temptation yesterday and buy alcohol and drink. Had I, I wouldn't have tossed and turned awake so late. No, I would have passed out in seconds to a full night's sleep. How thankful I am -and was- that I was wide awake, up so late. How thankful I am -and was- that these nights have been such a huge struggle to fall asleep. I was staring at this thing, sleeplessness, as a curse, a side effect of my sin, something that I wish would be gone from me, but then, right then the Holy Spirit pivots my view of this thing and I see how huge a blessing it had been all along. Because if not for this sleeplessness, I wouldn't have been able to do what I'm about to detail next. I'm so glad He kept me awake, despite my repeated prayers that He help me fall asleep. I'm so glad He didn't listen to my ignorant face.

This revelation changed, instantly changed my point of view on being kept awake, on the emails I had THANKFULLY not sent, on the content of those emails that I sincerely meant just moments before, it changed my understanding of His sovereign control, that blessed, faithful and loving sovereign control over everything in the universe. In a sheer instant, I was transformed in mood, understanding, outlook, gratitude, everything.

So what to do? Hmmmm, I'm going to likely be awake for another couple hours anyway, how about... LET'S MAKE THIS RIGHT!!! Yep, so I devise a plan, after all everyone in the house is asleep. :idea::ebil: I'm going to do something a little crazy, but necessary, and I was hoping nobody would wake up while I'm at it. I decided to get up, drive to my office, then to Walmart to get her an anniversary card. I slide out of bed like Mission Impossible, grab a pair of shorts, t-shirt, and float across the carpet without a sound. I couldn't dig in my dresser for keys or money because that would have woken her, so I grabbed her purse out of the living room and take it down stairs. I get dressed and take out her car keys that include a key to my office as it happens. I replace the purse and step to the front door, opened it hoping that the dogs don't go ballistic, and then, the hinges give out a loud squeak and squeal.

I'll say that earlier in the day, I'd turned on the whole-house fan, and before bed, she asked if we're leaving that on, to which I decided to leave on. It may just have been making enough background noise that nobody heard the door hinges! Thank you Lord.

The rest... I roll the car quietly out of the drive, start it up and speed off to my office. That's where I grabbed a bit of cash and then off to Walmart. Walmart at 1am is, as you'd expect. In my flipflops, tee and shorts, I find the anniversary cards and read through several until I find a great one about how God didn't put us together for all the little enjoyable moments, but no, He put us together so that we would have each other... perfect and true.

Then what to write... oh, I know. See, it'd come to me on the way to the office; 'better late than never'. And those two sentences I'd written right before the Holy Spirit showed me how much of a doofus I'd been. I think they were from HIM! So I edited it to read...

All the choices, words, and deeds from the past 19 years have built the marriage we have today.
AND
All the choices, words, and deeds from today are building the marriage we will have in 19 years.
SO
Better late than never to start choosing, saying, and doing what we ought, so that we can have the marriage we've always dreamed of.

That front door's hinges squealed just as loud when going back inside. I thought for a second she might be right there waiting for me, but no. The hinges squeaked but no dogs cared. Thank you Lord! Everyone was fast asleep, so I placed the card on the top of the coffee maker and snuck back into bed around 2am. On the envelope, I wrote, "Better Late Than Never". Oh how I love that woman.

I need better guard dogs, I really do.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I understand this all too well. I used to drink like a mad woman and using my Irish heritage as an excuse. What I did was replace the beer/wine/liquor with something else that tasted good. Jesus says not to get drunk with wine (alcohol) and therefore be sober minded.

Not everyone likes tea bag tea, but there are so many types of tea you can do to detox the body and change. I don't know where you live but what helped me with my drinking problem (and grant now I have a glass or two a month and I could do better) was that I substituted it for something that tasted good but was healthy and allowed me to nourish my body. If you live anywhere around a place (o you can order online) to get a tea that works well for you it can help.

I remember waking up after being nearly unconscience for a good hour and thought this was ENOUGH. White tea (loose leaf and organic) helped me a lot. It has very low caffeine. There are herbal teas too that have no caffeine. Or green tea or black tea in the mornings. Who knows maybe your kids will see and appreciate a healthier alternative to alcohol.

And I don't know if you do this but drinking for sleeping? Yeah been there. Chamomile tea has been the best.

All in all you can do it. If you want the change make it in small steps but make it. 10-15 beers a night? You could be making a pot of tea instead.

I know in this culture tea can sometimes be a "girly thing" but it's not and men drink it all the time to help. If you have any questions about tea I can help. This is just a suggestion too.

Hope this helped and I'll be praying for you!

• Prayers
Upvote 0