Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ivanka Trump recently launched a new campaign to help/encourage folks find new careers:
New Ivanka Trump initiative tells out-of-work Americans to 'find something new' - CNNPolitics

Find Something New

On Twitter, she says, "This initiative is about challenging the idea the traditional 2 and 4 yr college is the only option to acquire the skills needed to secure a job." And yet, when you look through the listings on both that site as well as the BLS site from which they pull their data, you can see that most of the jobs paying over $20/hr require exactly that. It's fair to ask whether or not those jobs should require that sort of education as a prerequisite, that doesn't do much to help someone looking for a job right now.

Amusing to me is that fact that, listed among the fast-growing jobs on her web site is "Broadcast and Sound Engineering Technician", which is what I trained as and close to what I still do. I'm not sure where they get their stats, but $45k/yr is lousy pay for this job for anybody who's not entry level and who's working at anything more prestigious than a sports bar or a mid-sized church. Additionally, the field is way over-saturated with new grads every year, and the COVID shutdowns have hit this industry worse than virtually any other. I've gotten lucky in that my industry (video games) has actually done pretty well throughout this, while my friends working in film lost a ton of work, and those in concerts, conventions, and sports broadcast were decimated - all their work dry up overnight and with no idea when it'll be coming back.

If the site boffs that one example so spectacularly, I can only imagine how bad and useless the others are. If only there were some way for all of us to have our rich daddies hand us jobs the way Mr. and Mrs. Kushner did.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Ivanka: "Find Something New"

Given the 40+ million unemployed and the very real prospect of a 2nd "lockdown," this is an ill-conceived campaign that only reinforces as to how "tone-deaf" this White House remains as it continues to isolate itself from the current realities out there in the real world!

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ivanka Trump recently launched a new campaign to help/encourage folks find new careers:
New Ivanka Trump initiative tells out-of-work Americans to 'find something new' - CNNPolitics

Find Something New

On Twitter, she says, "This initiative is about challenging the idea the traditional 2 and 4 yr college is the only option to acquire the skills needed to secure a job." And yet, when you look through the listings on both that site as well as the BLS site from which they pull their data, you can see that most of the jobs paying over $20/hr require exactly that. It's fair to ask whether or not those jobs should require that sort of education as a prerequisite, that doesn't do much to help someone looking for a job right now.

Amusing to me is that fact that, listed among the fast-growing jobs on her web site is "Broadcast and Sound Engineering Technician", which is what I trained as and close to what I still do. I'm not sure where they get their stats, but $45k/yr is lousy pay for this job for anybody who's not entry level and who's working at anything more prestigious than a sports bar or a mid-sized church. Additionally, the field is way over-saturated with new grads every year, and the COVID shutdowns have hit this industry worse than virtually any other. I've gotten lucky in that my industry (video games) has actually done pretty well throughout this, while my friends working in film lost a ton of work, and those in concerts, conventions, and sports broadcast were decimated - all their work dry up overnight and with no idea when it'll be coming back.

If the site boffs that one example so spectacularly, I can only imagine how bad and useless the others are. If only there were some way for all of us to have our rich daddies hand us jobs the way Mr. and Mrs. Kushner did.

Making the odd pointless gesture has 2 satisfying results: 1) Ivanka and Kushner can kid themselves they are doing something useful and 2) when their pointless gesture leads to nothing they have someone to blame, the people how didn't engage in their pointless gesture. Kushner's 'peace deal' for example.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Given the 40+ million unemployed and the very real prospect of a 2nd "lockdown," this is an ill-conceived campaign that only reinforces as to how "tone-deaf" this White House remains as it continues to isolate itself from the current realities out there in the real world!

It will be a great punch line though when Trump and his progeny are sent packing after next election.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And those running the trade schools it pimps.

Far too often schools that promise but do not deliver.

A few months ago, Mike Rowe published a story from one of his fans about the fan's son who was preparing to go off to college and had been accepted to a couple top-tier engineering schools like MIT and (IIRC) Caltech. This fan (and the son whom she'd propagandized) thought it was better to first attend a $45k/yr trade school for two years so that the son could learn a trade that would help him pay for MIT, which, I assume, he would attend later.

That was the point when I really decided to write off most of the trade school apologists. I'd always questioned some of their claims, but this particular case was so absurd, yet had so many people cheering it....

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And those running the trade schools it pimps.

Far too often schools that promise but do not deliver.
I don't know about the USA, but over here in Germany you get payed while learning a trade, as you get actual on the job training combined with a school.

• Agree
Reactions: MorkandMindy
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A few months ago, Mike Rowe published a story from one of his fans about the fan's son who was preparing to go off to college and had been accepted to a couple top-tier engineering schools like MIT and (IIRC) Caltech. This fan (and the son whom she'd propagandized) thought it was better to first attend a $45k/yr trade school for two years so that the son could learn a trade that would help him pay for MIT, which, I assume, he would attend later.

That was the point when I really decided to write off most of the trade school apologists. I'd always questioned some of their claims, but this particular case was so absurd, yet had so many people cheering it....
Is Trump "U" still selling diplomas?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just find something new! It’s so easy, that’s how she got into politics.

Yeah because that’s the problem with the work force right now.... People just got tired of their jobs and stopped going. Nothing to do with the pandemic induced shutdowns of whole industries that her daddy continues to ignore like nothing’s happened. Nope. It couldn’t be that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,504.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't know about the USA, but over here in Germany you get payed while learning a trade, as you get actual on the job training combined with a school.
There tends to be two ways to learn trades in the US. Pay to go to a trade school or work as a apprentice, which can take longer but you get paid during the process.

Upvote 0