TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying that it IS too soon to debate gun control? Hint: It's the topic. See top of thread.
Too soon after what? Hint: it's the OP. See just a little bit under the top of the thread.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And here we are debating gun control. :sigh:

I'm debating what we can do so that it doesn't come to that. Maybe if we study mass shootings and get a handle on why they happen, we won't need gun control.

We can't solve all the gun violence problems, but can we at least look into this one, preferably before the next bloodbath?

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, he said "If I had a son, he would have looked like Trayvon". I think that statement was actually rather insensitive to black people, as if to say that all people look alike. Just because the kid was black doesn't mean that Obama's offspring would have looked like him. I mean, I'm white, and if I had a son, I wouldn't say he looks like some other white kid just because they're both white.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, he said "If I had a son, he would have looked like Trayvon". I think that statement was actually rather insensitive to black people, as if to say that all people look alike. Just because the kid was black doesn't mean that Obama's offspring would have looked like him. I mean, I'm white, and if I had a son, I wouldn't say he looks like some other white kid just because they're both white.
Yep. You've nailed part of the spirit of why I included it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Exactly. And that is why what Obama said mattered.

Indeed -- What Donald says matters not because his words have any inherent value or credibility behind them (at this point, they rarely do), but because he is the president, and this country, and the rest of the world will assume (sadly) that when he talks, it's on America's behalf.

2049196_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm debating what we can do so that it doesn't come to that. Maybe if we study mass shootings and get a handle on why they happen, we won't need gun control.

Ha! That's a new one.

We can't solve all the gun violence problems, but can we at least look into this one, preferably before the next bloodbath?

It's been done. Maybe not by the CDC or whatever the favored agency is of the moment. But it's been done: Mass murder, shooting sprees and rampage violence: Research roundup - Journalist's Resource

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed -- What Donald says matters not because his words have any inherent value or credibility behind them (at this point, they rarely do), but because he is the president, and this country, and the rest of the world will assume (sadly) that when he talks, it's on America's behalf.

2049196_1.jpg
So far it's working out pretty good. I confess it kind of surprises me. I didn't take him seriously as a candidate in the primary, and was deeply troubled that he was the R candidate, but it seems to be he was exactly what we needed at this time. I think of him as a sort of modern day Churchill. And if you will remember, when the war ended, they dumped Churchill. Part of trump's charm is that he is NOT a politician, but things seem to be getting done, all over the world, thanks to his actions and words.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Everything's new when one stars paying attention.

You mean there's been other times you've entertained the idea that we might not need gun control?

Interesting article; a pity it's in journalist's review -- low odds of Washington paying any attention.

Bring it to their attention! Then the CDC won't have to waste our money doing the same thing all over again.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You mean there's been other times you've entertained the idea that we might not need gun control?

Continually. But you're got to listen before you can hear.

Bring it to their attention! Then the CDC won't have to waste our money doing the same thing all over again.

The CDC is legally forbidden from spending a single cent on any of this -- even to pay a guy to pick it up... thanks to the GOP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The CDC is legally forbidden from spending a single cent on any of this -- even to pay a guy to pick it up... thanks to the GOP.

Cool! All they need is a copy of that link and they're all set. No pennies needed.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just FYI, the issue of whether or not it's too soon to talk after the Texas massacre is now moot...

At least 4 dead after gunman ‘randomly picking targets’ shoots at California school and other locations, police say

...because it's now too soon after the California massacre.

Clearly not. The comments on that site already have people saying that it's the NRA that did it, even though there wasn't a word in that article about the identity of the shooter.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Clearly not. The comments on that site already have people saying that it's the NRA that did it, even though there wasn't a word in that article about the identity of the shooter.

You don't find those comments in poor taste? Interesting.

Upvote 0