SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It's Not Too Soon to Debate Gun Control
Orlando, Dallas, Las Vegas, and now Sutherland Springs. Each location has only recently experienced an unthinkable tragedy at the hands of a mass murderer and his guns. The latest, in the small Texas town, involved a man reportedly using a rifle to kill at least 26 people while they worshipped. Beyond these tragedies, which understandably seize the public’s attention, are dozens more in cities around America – nearly one per day.

Still, Republicans leaders in Congress do nothing. Or, really, so far they’ve done the same thing they have always done: offered thoughts and prayers. Tomorrow, then, will surely bring warnings not to "politicize" a tragedy by debating gun controls that might prevent such mass killings from happening again.
I know @Mountainmanbob agrees on this subject.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How do you, anyone, think registering guns would stop crimes committed with guns?
I agree with your view. Its much more preferable to remove every single gun from citizens and destroy them.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker

Honestly, this cartoon pretty much nails it. Every time this sort of thing happens, it's the same pattern. People die, people pray, the flag is put at half mast, we have our moments of silence, we start to talk about the 2nd Amendment and how we could've prevented this, the usual arguments pop up, and nothing happens...until the next massacre.

It's just a part of American life. I don't like it, but it's the way it is. Clearly.

What was it that Trump said when he was inaugurated? 'This American carnage stops now'? Pfft.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with your view. Its much more preferable to remove every single gun from citizens and destroy them.
So you couldn't answer my question. That's OK. I'm waiting for someone who can give a thoughtful answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So you couldn't answer my question. That's OK. I'm waiting for someone who can give a thoughtful answer.
Hank I know you don't really want to hear an answer that's anything other than pro_guns so no I won't answer... There's no point. We both know the USA will never change its love of guns and we both know mass killings will continue there everyday. It's how it's been and how it will continue. Any of the gun threads here are pointless as the USA is not interested in benchmarking with nations that have excellent KPIs in this area. So... Carry On.

• Agree
Reactions: ximmix
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hank I know you don't really want to hear an answer that's anything other than pro_guns so no I won't answer.
I would not have asked the question if I were not sincere in ASKING. I would have simply said I didn't agree and stated why.
I live in a state with most of the tough gun laws and I think they are all valid and I'm glad that we have them. But this one I don't see how it will help stop gun violence, so that is why I asked.

So again I say you don't know any reason it would either or you would state it.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would not have asked the question if I were not sincere in ASKING. I would have simply said I didn't agree and stated why.
I live in a state with most of the tough gun laws and I think they are all valid and I'm glad that we have them. But this one I don't see how it will help stop gun violence, so that is why I asked.

So again I say you don't know any reason it would either or you would state it.
I can simply tell you how it is in Australia if youre seriously interested. Registration forms an important component of regulation. It helps to know where guns are, limits access to people mentally unwell, and those with criminal histories. It allows agencies to do routine checks to ensure weapons and ammunition are stored responsibly. There's more but I know you probably know all this anyway so I am curious why you asked. I am guessing your argument is it doesn't stop someone who owns a gun killing someone. And wow I would sure agree with that. So I say again. Benchmark against nations that are good at this and learn from them....
Or not but we both know what each day will bring for the USA in this regard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
3 of the worst ever mass murders in America didn't even facilitate a gun:

Worst School Massacre in US history: Bath, Michigan School Massacre. 1927.
Murder accomplished with explosives. 44 victims (equal to the Columbine and Virginia Tech massacres combined).

Worst Domestic Terrorist Attack in US History: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building bombing.
4/19/95. Murder accomplished with a rental truck full of fertilizer based explosives. 168 dead (including many children in an on-site daycare).

Worst Foreign-based Terrorist Attack in US History: September 11, 2001, attacks on NYC, PA, Pentagon.
Murder accomplished with box cutters and commercial airliners. ~3,000 people dead.

There are mass murders all over the world without the use of guns. The worst by far is this murder by fire that killed 198.

Daegu subway fire, Daegu, South Korea: 2/18/2003. 198 killed, 147 injured. A 56-year-old unemployed taxi driver, dissatisfied with his medical treatment, sets fire to a crowded train.

Arson, Stabbing Rampage in Seoul South Korea: 10/20/2008. 6 people dead, 5 from stabbing. 7 others wounded, 4 seriously. An angry man felt people “looked down on him.”

Anti-police stabbing spree in Shanghai, China: 7/2008. 6 Police Officers stabbed to death, 4 wounded. 28-year-old man angry at police attacked a police station with a knife.

Akihabara Massacre, Chiyoda City, Tokyo, Japan: 6/8/2008. 7 people killed (3 struck by car, 4 by stabbing), many more injured. Man slammed into a crowd with his car, then jumped out and began stabbing people to death.

18 year old slashes 4 to death in Sitka, Alaska, US: 3/25/2008. 4 people killed. 18-year old (old enough to purchase a rifle over the counter) kills 4 people, related to him, with a 5-inch knife.

Stabbing Spree kills 2, Tsuchiura, Japan: 3/23/2008. 2 killed, 7 wounded. Man “just wanted to kill anyone.”

Stabbing spree wounds 41, 6 seriously in Berlin Train Station:5/26/2006. 41 wounded, 6 seriously. Thankfully no one died in this attack, but not for lack of trying on the part of the drunk 16 year old.

4 killed in stabbing spree in London, UK: 9/2004. 4 killed, 2 wounded. Mentally ill man attacks mostly older people.

6 killed over Xbox dispute in Deltona, Florida, US: 8/6/2004. 6 killed. 4 men (all old enough to legally purchase firearms) bludgeon 6 people to death with baseball bats over purloined Xbox.

Osaka School Massacre, Osaka Japan: 6/8/2001. 8 children dead, 13 other children and 2 teachers wounded. Committed by 37 year old former janitor armed with a kitchen knife.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It helps to know where guns are, limits access to people mentally unwell, and those with criminal histories. It allows agencies to do routine checks to ensure weapons and ammunition are stored responsibly.
Thank you. Sincere question...
How does gun registration limit access to a gun to the mentally ill?
How does it limit access to criminals with a record?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. Sincere question...
How does gun registration limit access to a gun to the mentally ill?
How does it limit access to criminals?
I dont know the finer detail to your question except it's defined under the mental health act. ie if you have been placed under the mental health act then you will need a medical clearance. The Australian Medical Association is now pushing hard to tighten regulations further.
Firearms - 2017

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you, anyone, think registering guns would stop crimes committed with guns?

It wont.

There are over 300 million guns in the united states right now and any restrictions (which are fine by me) will only increase the black market for weapons. Not unlike illegal drugs, all you need is money to obtain. If you dont have money, many will commit crimes to get the money.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
By the time it's not "too soon" after this bloodbath, we'll be hip-deep in the next one... and of course, it'll be "too soon" to talk after that one...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Upvote 0