It's not as if I'm trying to condemn you by doing it, so, why does it bother you so much...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It's not as if I'm trying to condemn you by doing it, so, why does it bother you so much...?

I'm talking about even something like praying over meals in public or in front of others, which is something I struggle with at times, sometimes, and I thought about it, and I knew I was "caring what they were thinking" basically, but are we really not supposed to care at all what they think at all...?

Anyway, I thought about what I might say, and I knew or know that a lot of people with any kind of public display of worship or religion or religious practices, praying in and before, and in front of, the public, ect, that others were feeling condemned by it sometimes, and I swear that I am not trying to do that, or meaning it or that, at all, but, still, some of them still feel that way...

Can anyone tell me why, or why this is, and maybe a solution for it maybe...?

I mean there are some few who do mean it to condemn, and I wonder what Jesus thinks about that, probably tell them they "did not know what Spirit they were of" or something...

But, I just want to be able to like, pray over my meals without making other people feel judged, or guilty, or condemned, or whatever...

And, on a more selfish, self-serving side note, I really don't want them to hate me for it either if at all possible...

God Bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I'm talking about even something like praying over meals in public or in front of others, which is something I struggle with at times, sometimes, and I thought about it, and I knew I was "caring what they were thinking" basically, but are we really not supposed to care at all what they think at all...?

Anyway, I thought about what I might say, and I knew or know that a lot of people with any kind of public display of worship or religion or religious practices, praying in and before, and in front of, the public, ect, that others were feeling condemned by it sometimes, and I swear that I am not trying to do that, or meaning it or that, at all, but, still, some of them still feel that way...

I mean there are some few who do mean it to condemn, and I wonder what Jesus thinks about that, probably tell them they "did not know what Spirit they were of" or something...

But, I just want to be able to like, pray over my meals without making other people feel judged, or guilty, or condemned, or whatever...

And, on a more selfish, self-serving side note, I really don't want them to hate me for it either if at all possible...

God Bless!
I don't do it, mainly because I am adverse to showing my religion in public. It is not that I am ashamed of the Lord, and I am always ready to give an account to anyone about my faith. But there is a difference between living in a way that shows that I am loving, joyful, peaceable, gentle, kind, patient, good, faithful and self-controlled; and showing religiosity to the spectators. There is no point in publicly giving thanks for the food, and then showing rudeness and abusing the waitress because she doesn't do things exactly the way I want. Or having "Jesus" signs all over my car, and then exceeding the speed limit and getting caught, or showing road rage to other motorists.

If we are walking in the spirit, we don't have to go to extra lengths to show that we are Christians. Our manner of life and conduct will show it, and if people are interested, they will ask, "What is it about you that is different?" Often, the best witnessing for Christ is when others start the conversation. I was in a group of colleagues, laughing and joking, and my manager said, "You wouldn't know he was a church elder, would you?" That started a conversation about church eldership and my reluctance to show my religiousness in front of people. It was quite a fruitful conversation, because she knew by the way I usually conducted myself around the office that she felt that I was genuine in my faith.

I remember being invited to a fellowship meal, and when served with the food, I forgot about the grace and started eating. A guy there stared in my face in a very judgmental manner. I felt embarrassed, and it ruined the evening for me. Needless to say, I would not have been in any way attracted to their church!

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Depends on whether or not you want to be noticed.
Yeah, I don't, generally don't like it at all, but would like to be able to at least pray over my meals in public without all the "whatever" though... Judgments from others thinking you are judging them, ect...

And any "other kind of attention" or whatever...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't do it, mainly because I am adverse to showing my religion in public. It is not that I am ashamed of the Lord, and I am always ready to give an account to anyone about my faith. But there is a difference between living in a way that shows that I am loving, joyful, peaceable, gentle, kind, patient, good, faithful and self-controlled; and showing religiosity to the spectators. There is no point in publicly giving thanks for the food, and then showing rudeness and abusing the waitress because she doesn't do things exactly the way I want. Or having "Jesus" signs all over my car, and then exceeding the speed limit and getting caught, or showing road rage to other motorists.

If we are walking in the spirit, we don't have to go to extra lengths to show that we are Christians. Our manner of life and conduct will show it, and if people are interested, they will ask, "What is it about you that is different?" Often, the best witnessing for Christ is when others start the conversation. I was in a group of colleagues, laughing and joking, and my manager said, "You wouldn't know he was a church elder, would you?" That started a conversation about church eldership and my reluctance to show my religiousness in front of people. It was quite a fruitful conversation, because she knew by the way I usually conducted myself around the office that she felt that I was genuine in my faith.

I remember being invited to a fellowship meal, and when served with the food, I forgot about the grace and started eating. A guy there stared in my face in a very judgmental manner. I felt embarrassed, and it ruined the evening for me. Needless to say, I would not have been in any way attracted to their church!
I just want to be able to pray over my meals without "anything being anything" really, I just know that God would like me to always give thanks for my food, and that it shouldn't matter about "whatever", but He knows it does to me sometimes... Now, I do not pray "aloud" in like a public restaurant of something, that would be strange, but I would just like to be able to maybe put my hands together, bow or lower my head or face, say my quick silent prayer, without it having to be any kind of "deal" or big deal, or anything, or anything... Or about "anything being (about) anything" (to them) ect...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, there is a two way street here, on one hand, we are not suppose to do our prayers in public hoping for a reward as the pride is our very reward.

On the other hand, we are not to deny Jesus in the site of others.

On another hand we are to teach others to pray by example.

I say, to be fair, do not pray but in public as Jesus instructed.

Do not deny Jesus, but not praying in public is not the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God Bless!
I wonder if you might be projecting? Meaning you are feeling a small amount of condemnation or self righteousness and thus assuming that people feel condemned. I say this because I was a waitress for many years so I was privy to people’s reactions to those who pray before meals when dining alone in public. When people react negatively, they do so because they find it performative, never because they feel like the person praying is condemning them.

I’m curious where the idea that people feel that you are condemning / judging them came from.

• Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
A silent prayer is not dependent on any gesture. We can carry on a conversion with God all day and no one need know. Is that not freedom?
Even closing my eyes and staying kind of still or whatever, or being silent, before eating a meal, in like a restaurant or something, bothers me a bit...

Then there is like other people I eat with or around like friends and family, I find that I pick and choose who to do this around or with, and also who not to... And that kind of bothers me too...

I do like that we can carry on conversations with God all day long at times, and no one be the wiser, that is pretty cool...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I wonder if you might be projecting? Meaning you are feeling a small amount of condemnation or self righteousness and thus assuming that people feel condemned. I say this because I was a waitress for many years so I was privy to people’s reactions to those who pray before meals when dining alone in public. When people react negatively, they do so because they find it performative, never because they feel like the person praying is condemning them.

I’m curious where the idea that people feel that you are condemning / judging them came from.
I actually have some big major problems with projecting/association, ect, uncontrolable much of the time, with the disorder that I have...

I'm not saying everyone feels condemned, certainly there are people who don't even notice you, or other who do see you but could care less, ect, but then, there are some other people that might stare at you or look at you while your doing it, ect, but this is in a minor thing, but I did want to broaden the example to include other examples as well, and that "If were not condemning you or anyone, or trying to condemn anyone by doing it, or what were doing, why the big problem with it, ect...

I also sometimes think people are talking about me out in the public sometimes, and that, along "many other things" that happen out in public (most of the time), all could contribute to these feelings or problems of mine with this kind of stuff or these kinds of things that were discussing on here, ect...

Like anxiety over praying even silently, ect...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I actually have some big major problems with projecting/association, ect, uncontrolable much of the time, with the disorder that I have...

Some say this some kind of "empathy" or "empathic ability" or something...?

But I just don't know if I can see it that way... It's hell for me a lot of the time...

But could it give one certain "insights" maybe...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'm not saying everyone feels condemned, certainly there are people who don't even notice you, or other who do see you but could care less, ect, but then, there are some other people that might stare at you or look at you while your doing it, ect, but this is in a minor thing, but I did want to broaden the example to include other examples as well, and that "If were not condemning you or anyone, or trying to condemn anyone by doing it, or what were doing, why the big problem with it, ect...

I also sometimes think people are talking about me out in the public sometimes, and that, along "many other things" that happen out in public (most of the time), all could contribute to these feelings or problems of mine with this kind of stuff or these kinds of things that were discussing on here, ect...

Like anxiety over praying even silently, ect...

God Bless!
I don’t think you need to be concerned that people feel condemned. If you want to make sure they don’t, the easiest way would be to pray secretly so that no one knows. I’m sorry you are having a hard time with this. Whatever you do, it is really none of people’s business and most people don’t mind at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want to be able to pray over my meals without "anything being anything" really, I just know that God would like me to always give thanks for my food, and that it shouldn't matter about "whatever", but He knows it does to me sometimes... Now, I do not pray "aloud" in like a public restaurant of something, that would be strange, but I would just like to be able to maybe put my hands together, bow or lower my head or face, say my quick silent prayer, without it having to be any kind of "deal" or big deal, or anything, or anything... Or about "anything being (about) anything" (to them) ect...

God Bless!
That should be ok. Usually, in public, that is what I do, too. Just bow the head, pray in my heart, and then eat. God sees, God knows.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don’t think you need to be concerned that people feel condemned. If you want to make sure they don’t, the easiest way would be to pray secretly so that no one knows. I’m sorry you are having a hard time with this. Whatever you do, it is really none of people’s business and most people don’t mind at all.
Thank You!

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That should be ok. Usually, in public, that is what I do, too. Just bow the head, pray in my heart, and then eat. God sees, God knows.
Thank You too!

God Bless!

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

God Bless!
If I shrink from praying openly in a restaurant, it isn't because I'm ashamed of Christ, but ashamed of myself. I'm a poor representative. I don't put on Christian bumper-stickers for the same reason.

Upvote 0