Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to believe we were made for God, when, by the nature we inherited from Adam and Eve, God is the last thing we want.

I am finding it seemingly impossible to want to repent and give control of my life over to God. Maybe I misunderstand both of these concepts. But here's how it will go with me: I will decide now is the time to repent. Now I'm going to repent. So I try to repent and ask God/Jesus to "take me," as in take control of my life.

Simultaneously, and/or immediately after this, a variety of things may happen. One is, I get an accusation that I'm fake. Another is I get an impression that to truly repent and let God do what He wants with me, is the last thing I want: no way do I want to let go of self and let someone else rule me! These accusations/impressions may be coming from Satan, but my own internal nature may be in agreement with them.

So, I'm wondering if, in all my attempted dealings with God, I am really just clinging to self, and trying to work my own religious experiences to fool myself to thinking I am interacting with God when they're really just my fantasy/imagination and I am clinging to self tightly in heart, at all costs.

If that is the case, then it looks like my addiction/clinging to self is so foundational that I "cannot" give it up no matter what. If my self love is that fundamental, such that I will not abandon it for anything, including eternal life, then there is no hope that that can change. You might as well tell me to change myself into a monkey as tell me to let go of self and let God have me.

Is that what God really wants for us? To lie down flat and let Him steam roller over us? Is that what we were made for? If so, then our nature from Adam is so against that, that there is no way somebody like me, at least, could let that happen.

mkdrive2

Supporter
Sep 26, 2014
✟54,545.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be honest, I am not a fan of the initiation ritual. If you believe in God or like Christian values, you can look for instruction in the Bible, and start leading a morally good life. The only time when I think God actually took control in my life was when I was leading a life of wickedness, and was walking towards my own death. Now, I am pretty much free to do what I want, and can slowly read up on the Bible and gain instruction slowly.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that is the case, then it looks like my addiction/clinging to self is so foundational that I "cannot" give it up no matter what. If my self love is that fundamental, such that I will not abandon it for anything, including eternal life, then there is no hope that that can change. You might as well tell me to change myself into a monkey as tell me to let go of self and let God have me.
This is the essence of His dealings with us. Self will never die to self, it takes His working in us bringing us to daily repentance stripping us of what we so dearly cling to.
Study the growth in faith of Abraham. First not totally leaving his family as he was told, then lying about Sarah, then not trusting God for His promise of a son but having Ishmael through Sarah...but his faith grew (as self died) to the point where he was willing to obey God despite the cost (even the sacrifice of his only son Isaac. James 2:21).

Growth is tough and painful to our 'self'.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am finding it seemingly impossible to want to repent and give control of my life over to God. Maybe I misunderstand both of these concepts. But here's how it will go with me: I will decide now is the time to repent. Now I'm going to repent. So I try to repent and ask God/Jesus to "take me," as in take control of my life.

Can I ask what you mean by repenting and giving control of your life over to God? You might mean...

1) That there's a persistent sin in your life, like shoplifting or malicious gossip, that you want to give up, but that has become so habitual that you're having trouble giving it up. Or,

2) That you picture God taking control of your life as meaning that God is going to make every decision for you -- what to eat for breakfast, what song to play next on your iPod, everything -- and that you'll just be an automaton carrying out the orders of this divine inner voice. Or,

3) Something else, and you'll have to fill in the blanks for me.

If it's #1, there are spiritual practices that can help reorient the mind toward healthier ways of living.

If it's #2: That's not what the Christian life is like. You're still "you" as a Christian. God made us in all our wonderful variety, presumably because God likes that variety. The Christian life involves compassion for others, setting aside one's wants and needs on behalf of others when the occasion calls for it, but it doesn't involve silencing one's wants and needs and preferences and personality altogether. To the contrary, we are called to be our truest selves, to the glory of the creator God who made us.

Can you clarify your thoughts for me?

Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your purpose in Christ is to have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I'm not saying if you have the Holy Spirit that your addictions will magically disappear, but they might, and it'll help you tremendously in obeying God in His commandments.

If you don't have the Holy Spirit, you can simply ask God for this.
I have, and I can tell you it is absolutely great.

Upvote 0

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can I ask what you mean by repenting and giving control of your life over to God? You might mean...

1) That there's a persistent sin in your life, like shoplifting or malicious gossip, that you want to give up, but that has become so habitual that you're having trouble giving it up. Or,

2) That you picture God taking control of your life as meaning that God is going to make every decision for you -- what to eat for breakfast, what song to play next on your iPod, everything -- and that you'll just be an automaton carrying out the orders of this divine inner voice. Or,

3) Something else, and you'll have to fill in the blanks for me.

If it's #1, there are spiritual practices that can help reorient the mind toward healthier ways of living.

If it's #2: That's not what the Christian life is like. You're still "you" as a Christian. God made us in all our wonderful variety, presumably because God likes that variety. The Christian life involves compassion for others, setting aside one's wants and needs on behalf of others when the occasion calls for it, but it doesn't involve silencing one's wants and needs and preferences and personality altogether. To the contrary, we are called to be our truest selves, to the glory of the creator God who made us.

Can you clarify your thoughts for me?

I think I tend to think it's more likely #2. It's good to read that one does not become an automaton when they become a Christian. But I keep having the same types of problems when I think I try to give my life to Christ. I feel/fear/think that I may not be sincere enough when I do it. I'm afraid that in my head, I'm saying one thing (such as, "Jesus, take me!") but in my heart I'm saying something else. I'm afraid that in my heart, I am clinging to self, keeping self on the throne, while going through a pantomime in my head of surrendering to Christ.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best counsel is to STOP REASONING and begin to trust our Creator-God as He says. Try reading John 14 in your Bible and earnestly ask God to show you His way in "Jesus, the Christ". Trust God's counsel to man! Reasoning will only come back in your mind for confidence in your reasoning, rather than learn the way of God (note John 3). Look up always!

Upvote 0