Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Theirs a Psalm where one asks a similar question

Psalm 73

1 Truly God is [only] good to Israel, even to those who are upright and pure in heart.

2 But as for me, my feet were almost gone, my steps had well-nigh slipped.

3 For I was envious of the foolish and arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4 For they suffer no violent pangs in their death, but their strength is firm.

5 They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they smitten and plagued like other men.

6 Therefore pride is about their necks like a chain; violence covers them like a garment [like a long, luxurious robe].

7 Their eyes stand out with fatness, they have more than heart could wish; and the imaginations of their minds overflow [with follies].

8 They scoff, and wickedly utter oppression; they speak loftily [from on high, maliciously and blasphemously].

9 They set their mouths against and speak down from heaven, and their tongues swagger through the earth [invading even heaven with blasphemy and smearing earth with slanders].

10 Therefore His people return here, and waters of a full cup [offered by the wicked] are [blindly] drained by them.

11 And they say, How does God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?

12 Behold, these are the ungodly, who always prosper and are at ease in the world; they increase in riches.

13 Surely then in vain have I cleansed my heart and washed my hands in innocency.

14 For all the day long have I been smitten and plagued, and chastened every morning.

15 Had I spoken thus [and given expression to my feelings], I would have been untrue and have dealt treacherously against the generation of Your children.

16 But when I considered how to understand this, it was too great an effort for me and too painful

17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood [for I considered] their end.

18 [After all] You do set the [wicked] in slippery places; You cast them down to ruin and destruction.

19 How they become a desolation in a moment! They are utterly consumed with terrors!

20 As a dream [which seems real] until one awakens, so, O Lord, when You arouse Yourself [to take note of the wicked], You will despise their outward show.

21 For my heart was grieved, embittered, and in a state of ferment, and I was pricked in my heart [as with the sharp fang of an adder].

22 So foolish, stupid, and brutish was I, and ignorant; I was like a beast before You.

23 Nevertheless I am continually with You; You do hold my right hand.

24 You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to honor and glory.

25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And I have no delight or desire on earth besides You.

26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Rock and firm Strength of my heart and my Portion forever.

27 For behold, those who are far from You shall perish; You will destroy all who are false to You and like [spiritual] harlots depart from You.

28 But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God and made Him my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works.

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Why do good thing's happen to bad people?"
Things, good or bad, happen to people whether they are good or bad. God gave us free will and with that free will comes consequences and they can be good or bad. A mystery of life.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The only good thing is God and anything that can help to bring us to Him. In other words, good is that which is eternal and evil (or at least neutral) is that which is temporal. If you define good as riches and pleasures then you are still nourished by the tree of good and evil. For suffering always follows such things (insatiable greed, the worry of getting robbed, the discomfort of surfeiting...).

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That question is a two edged sword. If bad people prosper in their badness, it just means they have no incentive to rock the boat. It cements their badness into greater depths. Is that good for them or bad? And more importantly is it good or bad for the rest of us? If you are a Christian the promise is that all things are working together for your ultimate good. And all things are working together for the damnation of non-Christians that are happy and contented in their badness. Prosperity and comfort are the two most damning circumstances that can happen to a bad person.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,751.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Bad things happen to bad people as well. When I was doing some community training years ago, the trainer was a lawyer working for Legal Aid.

He represented people who could not afford legal fees.

He commented at one point that people think criminals make a lot of money and have it easy, He said that in reality most of the criminal class spend their lives just lurching from one crisis to the next.

There are exceptions of course, but that's what they are - exceptions.

Upvote 0

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Upvote 0

NeverL0ved

Oct 20, 2019
Brisbane, QLD
✟21,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Upvote 0

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Who knows?

I and many millions are absolutely convinced considering the One who is making this promise not only has the desire to bring this change about, after all, it was his original declared purpose for mankind to live in peace.

Gen 1:28 Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”

What he has declared as his purpose cannot fail.

Isa 55:10,11 For just as the rain and the snow pour down from heaven And do not return there until they saturate the earth, making it produce and sprout,Giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, So my word that goes out of my mouth will be. It will not return to me without results,But it will certainly accomplish whatever is my delight,And it will have sure success in what I send it to do.

Psalm 37:9,10,29 For evil men will be done away with, But those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth. Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more;You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. . . The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.

And he certainly has the ability and power to do so.

Isa 40:26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see.Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.

Jesus encouraged his followers to pray for this change.

Matt 6:9 “You must pray, then, this way:“‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. Let your Kingdom come (a real government that will bring about the change). Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bible-study/gods-promises-for-humans/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums