It's been really quiet poll

What do you think is the primary reason this forum has gone quiet?

• Conservative right wing is in power: Right can't complain, nothing for the rest to respond to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General decline of religious interest in personal life and/or society

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,324.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
The Australian church is affiliated with the CofE.

One thing that is very close to my heart, is the sea and those who sail upon her.

The shipping scene has changed since the 50,s 60,s.

Now sad to say there are ugly boxes with quick turn arounds, but they are still manned by seamen.

I used to visit seamans missions on my trips,
send a postcard, play billiard,
drink coffee it was all there and all were welcome.

Now they have changed their strategy per video.

Which is good, but so often forgotten.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As a non-Christian, can I start a thread with questions for members of a non-Christian religion differing from my own? In other words, must the thread be created by a Christian member? (I suppose I should read the rules again for myself, but sometimes I am no more clear after reading them than I was before.)

The guidelines differentiate between "Members" and "Non-Christians". This would suggest that non-Christians can inquire about other non-Christian religions.
  • Members may start threads which request information about another religion, but they may not start threads to promote their own religion.
  • Non-Christians may state their beliefs when asked as long as they are not encouraging others to convert to their faith.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The guidelines differentiate between "Members" and "Non-Christians". This would suggest that non-Christians can inquire about other non-Christian religions.
  • Members may start threads which request information about another religion, but they may not start threads to promote their own religion.
  • Non-Christians may state their beliefs when asked as long as they are not encouraging others to convert to their faith.
I hope your understanding of the rules is correct, but I have found the actual application of the rules to be more strict - especially recently.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hehe ya. TDS is funny.

I do not even find that funny anymore. It's just sad and pathetic.

I remember this woman really wanting me to go to an anti-Trump rally with her. Apparently he was speaking in my state.. had to convince her that I really didn't want to go without her thinking I was a secret Trump supporter or anything, lol. The woman is nice, but most of those people who would go to such a rally I wouldn't want to associate with.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOldWays
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I do remember discovering this sub-forum around 2013 (I believe). Remember being shocked that a website like this would have a place like this in the first place, lol.

I used to think the same thing but once I realized it was a staging ground for evangelism it made a lot more sense. At least sense the days of the new statement of purpose which I think are about that old too.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do remember discovering this sub-forum around 2013 (I believe). Remember being shocked that a website like this would have a place like this in the first place, lol.

there was another sub-forum similar to this. i think it was unorthodox christianity or something. that's where I got my first hit of the good stuff that sent me on a wild journey and i left my orthodox beliefs behind. once i fully left the faith i found this place and that was that.

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What's kind of ironic to me is that Christians live and work side-by-side with non-Christians. In real life there is no need for people to wear badges declaring their religious beliefs so they can be treated differently. Sometimes religious people voluntarily dress differently, but others don't.

I was told and have read that originally CF was nothing like this. The original mission of the creators of CF was to be open to all regardless of belief. There was a "general apologetics" sub-forum where Christians and non-Christians could freely interact. Unfortunately, the culture at CF has changed over the past 20 years.

Upvote 0

Starcomet

Unitarian Sacramental Christian
May 9, 2011
Baltimore City
✟42,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
What's kind of ironic to me is that Christians live and work side-by-side with non-Christians. In real life there is no need for people to wear badges declaring their religious beliefs so they can be treated differently. Sometimes religious people voluntarily dress differently, but others don't.

I was told and have read that originally CF was nothing like this. The original mission of the creators of CF was to be open to all regardless of belief. There was a "general apologetics" sub-forum where Christians and non-Christians could freely interact. Unfortunately, the culture at CF has changed over the past 20 years.

This is the main reason why I have stopped posting. The rules have become far more restrictive in who is considered a true Christian and prohibiting non-Christians from posting in certain forums. I used to be able to post in the Christian sections and discuss theology and the words of Jesus, but now I feel sidelined and it greatly discourages me. And few ever engage me here and just ignore me most of the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is the main reason why I have stopped posting. The rules have become far more restrictive in who is considered a true Christian and prohibiting non-Christians from posting in certain forums. I used to be able to post in the Christian sections and discuss theology and the words of Jesus, but now I feel sidelined and it greatly discourages me. And few ever engage me here and just ignore me most of the time.
I hear you. LDS, JW, and Unitarians are not allowed in the Christians Only sections, not even in the Controversial Theology Forum. This is definitely prohibitive. In fact, you're the 1st person self-identified are Unitarians that I met in the CF since joining 9 Mo ago.

Most Christians probably don't know what a Unitarian is. This is probably why they never engage you. I have some understanding of Unitarian doctrine but not enough. Would you plz explain your beliefs?

• Friendly
Reactions: Starcomet
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's been an extensive period of general inactivity 'round the World Religion forum. Just out of curiosity, here's a poll to find out what happened.
Perhaps I'd be encouraged to visit this Forum more frequently if I knew who else is here. So far in this thread, the non-Christian participants identified themselves as Pagan, Atheist, Other religion, Judaism, Unorthodox, and Agnostic. I assume everyone in these Christian Forums has spiritual inclinations. Why else would we all be here? I'd love to hear about everyone's spiritual experience. I hope we're here to learn, not to condemn.

Does anyone here uphold gnostic ideas or fellowship in gnostic churches? For the Pagans, do you worship Odin or Brighid? Do you practice Wicca?

Last edited:
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,309.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone here uphold gnostic ideas or fellowship in gnostic churches?
When talking to Christians about gnosticism (little g) that conversation generally comes up short because we end up talking past each other. That is, I've found, because Christians jump to Gnostic Christianity (big G) beliefs while I'm coming from knowledge gained by inner experience kind of gnosticism. In other words, Mysticism. Am I correct that it's Gnostic Christianity that the question is directed towards?

Upvote 0