It's been really quiet poll

What do you think is the primary reason this forum has gone quiet?

• Conservative right wing is in power: Right can't complain, nothing for the rest to respond to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General decline of religious interest in personal life and/or society

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I voted "Topic exhaustion".

I did, too.
When it comes to my own beliefs, I don't mind answering sincere questions but it seems like others prefer to insist I'm just wrong. Everyone else has already heard my answers after 10+ years.

Other times it feels like I'm talking to a wall when they say no amount of evidence will change their mind about any topi, so what's the point?

I'm spending much more time in furry and ornithological settings now.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
You just haven't met your David with the slingshot yet :)
Well, what's taking him so long? :D

It might seem that way until I find that
I'm the one holding the slingshot,
with fallen giants all around me. ;)

-

Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As posts seem to drop of in evenings, at least in North America, and on weekends and revive on Mondays, it would seem a lot use work time to log on. Perhaps a decline in posts indicates jobs lost or outside access to internet being cut off or monitored leaving them with not enough interest to be bothered on their own time?

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I'm swamped managing and developing my application at work and in the evenings there's more fun stuff to do then argue about Christianity and conservative politics all night lol.

i think we've uncovered every avenue of the debate hehe.

and arguing about politics doesn't ever lead anywhere good. but you know that good sir.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've decided to stop posting for several reasons:

(1) I tend to become obsessed with certain thoughts and a need for affirmation of my thoughts. I write something and then what I write repeats endlessly in my brain, and I check to see if anybody read what I wrote. Then I begin to regret writing what I wrote. All of this distracts me from my real life. ... On the other hand, sometimes I NEED a distraction from my real life. Sometimes I feel extremely depressed or foggy-minded, and organizing my thoughts in writing is extremely helpful psychologically. So there are two sides to it.

(2) Rather than question exhaustion, for me it is answer exhaustion. I still have many questions on religion and spirituality. I wish I could be a metaphysical naturalist atheist, but I have too many weird experiences. So I wish I could get some answers to explain these experiences, but I don't know how to ask my questions and I don't know if anybody has answers. My questions involve magic(k) and paranormal, but most religious people seem to be as spiritually close-minded as any atheist. It puzzles me. Why do religious people believe a religious tradition while scoffing at the possibility of contemporary experiences of phenomena that constitute most religions? And even if somebody here has the answers, I cannot seem to put my questions into words.

(3) Over the past couple of years I have begun to sense more hostility from the Christian members - particularly in the stricter enforcement of rules. When I joined CF about 10 years ago the World Religions forum was very interesting. As long as I didn't ridicule Christians or Christianity it seemed that I could post freely. Now the same types of posts result in deleted threads and warnings. On top of that, I sense hostility. I don't want to be an irritant.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

(1) I tend to become obsessed with certain thoughts and a need for affirmation of my thoughts. I write something and then what I write repeats endlessly in my brain, and I check to see if anybody read what I wrote. Then I begin to regret writing what I wrote. All of this distracts me from my real life. ... On the other hand, sometimes I NEED a distraction from my real life. Sometimes I feel extremely depressed or foggy-minded, and organizing my thoughts in writing is extremely helpful psychologically. So there are two sides to it.

(2) Rather than question exhaustion, for me it is answer exhaustion. I still have many questions on religion and spirituality. I wish I could be a metaphysical naturalist atheist, but I have too many weird experiences. So I wish I could get some answers to explain these experiences, but I don't know how to ask my questions and I don't know if anybody has answers. My questions involve magic(k) and paranormal, but most religious people seem to be as spiritually close-minded as any atheist. It puzzles me. Why do religious people believe a religious tradition while scoffing at the possibility of contemporary experiences of phenomena that constitute most religions? And even if somebody here has the answers, I cannot seem to put my questions into words.

(3) Over the past couple of years I have begun to sense more hostility from the Christian members - particularly in the stricter enforcement of rules. When I joined CF about 10 years ago the World Religions forum was very interesting. As long as I didn't ridicule Christians or Christianity it seemed that I could post freely. Now the same types of posts result in deleted threads and warnings. On top of that, I sense hostility. I don't want to be an irritant.

I feel many times that I am wasting precious time by
being on a forum.

But here is something from the Rebbe,

It,s a paradox.
The greatest revelations are to be found not in meditation, study a prayer,
but in the mundane world...........but only if you would
rather be meditating, studying, and praying.

Also, what is the use of studying if it is not put into practice?

Dunno if this is to any help.

Good to see you make an appearence.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I can relate. These past few months my mind has been foggy, coupled with being very emotional I can post pretty strange things I'll regret later. Lol.

I hear this from people, although from my personal experience I don't find this place too hostile. Than again, I don't really mind hostile environments so maybe I'm a little blind regarding how others feel. Most of the posters seem to just leave me alone, rather than engage though.. lol.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I feel many times that I am wasting precious time by
being on a forum.

But here is something from the Rebbe,

It,s a paradox.
The greatest revelations are to be found not in meditation, study a prayer,
but in the mundane world...........but only if you would
rather be meditating, studying, and praying.

Also, what is the use of studying if it is not put into practice?

Dunno if this is to any help.

Good to see you make an appearence.
I wonder what the Rebbe meant exactly. God seems to respond to me when I am feeling extreme anger towards God or extreme religious confusion rather than when I am peacefully praying. (Of course it might be only my imagination.)

I think the Rebbe was saying something different, but I am not certain what.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I wonder what the Rebbe meant exactly. God seems to respond to me when I am feeling extreme anger towards God or extreme religious confusion rather than when I am peacefully praying. (Of course it might be only my imagination.)

I think the Rebbe was saying something different, but I am not certain what.

Well, what is a revelation, is it not when something is revealed, something that has been there all the time
but first now I have seen it, have had it revealed.

The greatest revelations are found in the mundane world, says the Rebbe.

Though one may rather be praying, studying and meditating.

For every piece of Torah one learns, one must find a way to apply it to today, in the world, because that is where we are.

I do not know if that was his meaning but it is what I get from it.

I know that if I did not have something else to do, I would go insane, or worse,
smell of spiritual haughtiness.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well, what is a revelation, is it not when something is revealed, something that has been there all the time
but first now I have seen it, have had it revealed.

The greatest revelations are found in the mundane world, says the Rebbe.

Though one may rather be praying, studying and meditating.

For every piece of Torah one learns, one must find a way to apply it to today, in the world, because that is where we are.

I do not know if that was his meaning but it is what I get from it.

I know that if I did not have something else to do, I would go insane, or worse,
smell of spiritual haughtiness.
That makes sense. It is like reading about how to dance disco and actually doing the John Travolta moves for yourself. You say "aha, that is why I need to wear pants that stretch" ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
That makes sense. It is like reading about how to dance disco and actually doing the John Travolta moves for yourself. You say "aha, that is why I need to wear pants that stretch" ;)

Otherwise you may reveal more than you wish to reveal.
Haha.

• Haha
Upvote 0