It's been really quiet poll

What do you think is the primary reason this forum has gone quiet?

• Conservative right wing is in power: Right can't complain, nothing for the rest to respond to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General decline of religious interest in personal life and/or society

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There's been an extensive period of general inactivity 'round the World Religion forum. Just out of curiosity, here's a poll to find out what happened.

Generally speaking I think the incredible growth of social media may be the biggest factor but each of the other choices listed may also be a contributing factor. One thing that I have been noticing recently is the frequent use of "protected forums".

I frequently see interesting opening titles posted but when I investigate I find that either I cannot read the OP or if I can I find that I cannot even post a reply. This is quite frustrating particularly when I feel that I can make an intelligent and /or informative reply. This seems to be particularly true of Catholic forums.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟39,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I’m no theologian. God brings scripture to my mind for certain things and the Spirit leads me in ways to help others but I’m no teacher.

Maybe if we had some highly educated, respected theologians we could argue with them too (kidding).

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I voted for "too few members participating", in that I can only think of a handful of people of other faiths who regularly participate in World Religion discussions, so if you and a couple of other people get busy doing things in real life instead of posting to CF, the discussions can die out.

"Rules are too restrictive" is also a factor, I think. If you're not allowed to say "I had a wonderful time in my temple/mosque/ritual/meditation today - let me tell you about it", then it's hard to get discussions started. Sometimes I'll start discussions by asking direct questions about people's religions, because the rules allow that, but sometimes I'm not creative enough to ask the right questions. And sometimes I get busy with real life too.

Here, I just thought of a question. I'll go post a conversation-starter now. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Most of the topics here now bore me to tears and the rules forbid me from talking about much interesting stuff religion wise. I've mostly found other communities on Discord and Reddit especially to nourish my spiritual side, in the pagan community.

Plus my secular interests have kept me busy; I'm getting back into the rhythm game community competitively, playing a lot more games at home with my wife and reading a lot more books plus getting tangentially attached to the board game and furry communities as well so I have a pretty rich, full experience now which is sort of at the heart of my religion anyways.

I've been on this forum for 12 years which is mega crazy and I've evolved a ton since I started as a wide eyed Christian highschooler. It's been instrumental in my transformation so it gets a soft spot in heart but I've mostly outgrown it.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
We're unionizing?

If "unionizing" means bringing together then hardly.

Thread starters come and go,
if no one is standing on the river bank throwing in bread crumbs
there will be nothing for the fish to nibble on.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
if no one is standing on the river bank throwing in bread crumbs
there will be nothing for the fish to nibble on.
True. Of course there are partisan fish wardens scaring people off and shutting down fishing holes also.

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟304,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I can only speak for myself. I find Christians, in general, don't care to learn or know about any non-Christian beliefs. However, on the flip side of that, for me, I simply don't care to discuss my beliefs here or any forum.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Could be a number of things. I find forums in general may be on the decline. A few hobbies I am involved in I would rather post on the Discord then on the forums, then throw in social media platforms and forums seem to fall way behind.

Everyone is different and I find I am content with my path and don't feel an overt need to discuss religion or spirituality lately. Like zoness said above, i have been here for over 15 years (different account now) and credit this place with helping me better understanding Christianity, then eventually leading me away from it. For a time, as I was a pretty solitary practitioner of whatever path I was on, CF was my go to for discussing religion and spirituality for many years. While active on CF I was a Christian, druid, Noahide, Muslim, anglo-saxon pagan and for a good amount of time a Buddhist of various practices and then eventually to becoming agnostic.

The real sign for me that CF doesn't hold much weight for me anymore as I now venture into the Catholic Church and I have no interest to even visit the Catholic forum here. I just pop into this sub forum, see nothing of interest and move on. Maybe posting here or there.

Anyways an interesting topic mr awitch!

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status