• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

It's been awhile...

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just thought to pop into this group from time to time as it's been a very long while since I've been active. I have OCD - the "Pure O" type and have suffered from several debilitating forms of it over the years. I used to be very active in this group, esp. in regards to OCD themes which caused intense anxiety about our eternal security in Christ. I endured a very debilitating season of Religious OCD/Scrupe, so I completely understand just how excruciating it can be.
I finally ended up writing a book about my experiences and have since then started an online support group of my own and am just now venturing out into public speaking about living with this painful disorder.
There is certainly hope, help in purpose in this experience. We must get educated about our disorder and apply those strategies which can help us to manage it. Those things have a been a true Godsend to me. I'm a huge advocate of meds. and ERP or ACT therapy. OCD is OCD no matter what the theme and the first step toward managing it is treating it as a disorder rather than a spiritual issue.
I hope I can find time to be more active in this forum.

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just thought to pop into this group from time to time as it's been a very long while since I've been active. I have OCD - the "Pure O" type and have suffered from several debilitating forms of it over the years. I used to be very active in this group, esp. in regards to OCD themes which caused intense anxiety about our eternal security in Christ. I endured a very debilitating season of Religious OCD/Scrupe, so I completely understand just how excruciating it can be.
I finally ended up writing a book about my experiences and have since then started an online support group of my own and am just now venturing out into public speaking about living with this painful disorder.
There is certainly hope, help in purpose in this experience. We must get educated about our disorder and apply those strategies which can help us to manage it. Those things have a been a true Godsend to me. I'm a huge advocate of meds. and ERP or ACT therapy. OCD is OCD no matter what the theme and the first step toward managing it is treating it as a disorder rather than a spiritual issue.
I hope I can find time to be more active in this forum.
This is great to hear! I agree that ERP and ACT are highly effective therapies, and that medications can help if necessary. I hope you are able to be more active, and share your wisdom with our fellow OCD sufferers! BTW, what is the title of your book?

Upvote 0