• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Its been awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody Joy

Mar 9, 2004
Austin, Texas
Visit site
✟20,487.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its been some time since I've posted in the depression forums. Its been some time since I've participated at CF on a regular basis too.
I have suffered from depression for most of my adult life (about 8+ years).
The last few months I have felt less depressed. I can't really say why for sure. I am on an anti-depressant and it seems to be working. But I've been on this same one before without much effect. I can't even say that I am closer to God because I'm not. I'm not very close to Him at all in fact.
I feel like I want to get to the place that I can start to help others with their depression. But I can't really do that because its not like there was anything that anyone said to me to make me feel better. I can't give the advice to pray or read the bible. Because frankly I haven't been. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.
I think the difference may be that I'm busier now than I have been in the past. Busier with work and such. When I wasn't busy I had time to sit around and feel sorry for myself. I guess thats the only advise I have is to try to find something to keep you busy. Perhaps I'll come back to this forum in the future with something different to say, I dont know.
(((hugs))) to those who are suffering.

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Melody,

It is hard to deal with the chronic nature of some depression. Metaemotions is common. This is feeling depressed because you feel depressed, a seemingly endless loop.

Reading the bible and praying are important disciplines to maintain. Even if you have not been able to do this, try again. I find that reading prayers that are written by someone else is very very helpful to me. My CF home page (link bottom right corner of my post) has some prayers, all of which preety much are from the Psalms or other bible books. Reading them as if they are your own prayers as a daily routine can inspire you to say prayers with your own words.

As far as reading the bible is concerned, I read a short passage a day with a study bible. I follow the schedule of readings my church gives out, but there are many similar publications available. "Daily Bread" is one I used to use alot in the past.

I say the Lord's Prayer and a few other ones when I first wake up in the morning before I eat breakfast and then say prayers again before going to bed at night. (I try to say prayers at each meal too but I miss them too much.) By having this schedule I find that I am less likely to miss praying at all in the day. I might miss the morning, but not the bedtime, or vice versa, but not both.

Sometimes the advice we give to others to help them is the very advice we need to hear ourselves. I think there is nothing wrong with giving advice about things you struggle with but know is healthy choices.

Please don't be a stranger here. Remember, we care!

Upvote 0

JDDCH

May 23, 2006
just this side of a cardboard box
Visit site
✟16,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just staying with it and trying is half the battle. ... Not giving up. Heck, when depression has it's greatest hold on you, making it through the day can be a challenge. ... and you don't have to be perfect to be there for someone else. I'm sure you already know that. The capacity to care for another and the willingness to reach out to them is a gift.

God Loves You

Upvote 0

inHisgripkim

You Are The Salt And Light Of The World
Apr 5, 2006
Arizona
✟10,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Melody Joy said:
Its been some time since I've posted in the depression forums. Its been some time since I've participated at CF on a regular basis too.
I have suffered from depression for most of my adult life (about 8+ years).
The last few months I have felt less depressed. I can't really say why for sure. I am on an anti-depressant and it seems to be working. But I've been on this same one before without much effect. I can't even say that I am closer to God because I'm not. I'm not very close to Him at all in fact.
I feel like I want to get to the place that I can start to help others with their depression. But I can't really do that because its not like there was anything that anyone said to me to make me feel better. I can't give the advice to pray or read the bible. Because frankly I haven't been. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.
I think the difference may be that I'm busier now than I have been in the past. Busier with work and such. When I wasn't busy I had time to sit around and feel sorry for myself. I guess thats the only advise I have is to try to find something to keep you busy. Perhaps I'll come back to this forum in the future with something different to say, I dont know.
(((hugs))) to those who are suffering.
If you can hug, sweet angel, you have a ministry even if you are feeling low. Give everybody a big hug when they are feeling depressed and don't forget to hug yourself.

When you are at work, say nice things to people to make them smile. You may be depressed, but that doesn't change a kind heart. Make someone smile because you have a sweet and kind heart.

Love and hugs and prayers to you,
Kim

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.