Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am of the opinion that the New York Times is opposed to almost everything contained within the orthodox teachings of the Church, so when that newspaper defends the Pope, I tend not to think that it's a good thing.

It seems to me that in any other circumstance, they'd be castigating anyone accused of covering up sexual abuse, but I think that they are too enamored of his Progressive image and feel that they must defend him so that he can make over the Church in their image.

fr.jpg

Mr. Lobster

Aug 27, 2018
Nottingham
✟15,742.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I am of the opinion that the New York Times is opposed to almost everything contained within the orthodox teachings of the Church, so when that newspaper defends the Pope, I tend not to think that it's a good thing.

It seems to me that in any other circumstance, they'd be castigating anyone accused of covering up sexual abuse, but I think that they are too enamored of his Progressive image and feel that they must defend him so that he can make over the Church in their image.

View attachment 239399
Agreed. As a Brit I'm waiting for a paper like the Guardian to come out in his defence.

In the Guardians defence (didn't think I'd say that) they have covered this and it wasn't dripping with social justice.

The New York Times was once the closest thing to unbiase media. How the mighty have fallen.

• Agree
Reactions: Woodsy
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I totally agree that the NYT probably is basing it's defense mostly upon how much it likes his progressive agenda.

Just like I'd argue that those critical of the pope are basing their criticism mostly upon their dislike of his progressive agenda.

• Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I totally agree that the NYT probably is basing it's defense mostly upon how much it likes his progressive agenda.

Just like I'd argue that those critical of the pope are basing their criticism mostly upon their dislike of his progressive agenda.
I'd like to think that those criticizing the Pope for playing a role in a sexual abuse scandal transcends politics. Maybe our morality is just on another level than others.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. As a Brit I'm waiting for a paper like the Guardian to come out in his defence.

In the Guardians defence (didn't think I'd say that) they have covered this and it wasn't dripping with social justice.

The New York Times was once the closest thing to unbiase media. How the mighty have fallen.

What paper other that the NYTimes is less biased that you could recommend? They have their opinion pages, and then their straight up news reporting, and that news reporting is usually very informative (and often also used by other newspapers and media, much like Reuters or AP).

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What’s always funny to me is the number of people who complain about the bias in sources like the NYT and CNN whose preferred media outlet is Fox News lol
What I find funny is the people who believe anything the NYT or CNN report WITHOUT verifying it somewhere else. Anywhere else. Or trying to get the other side of a story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Did you have an equal level of outrage about it over the past 4-5 decades they've been talking about it - directed at each pope equally - or is it just now you're finding this new level of morality?

But before, with JPII, or Benedict, or Pope Francis last month, you could always say “oh well this is being mishandled but the Pope did not know what was really going on”
This claim is especially tragically true of Pope JPII who lived under communism and was used to false propaganda against the Church, so for a long time he naively thought reports of abuse were ginned up by anti-Christian forces

This claim is that the Pope knew and ignored it

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I find funny is the people who believe anything the NYT or CNN report WITHOUT verifying it somewhere else. Anywhere else. Or trying to get the other side of a story.

At the other extreme, I compare everything to other sites routinely.

Nytimes to foxnews,
The Guardian to The Independent
Washington Post to Washington Times (when the issue seems important)

Etc.

Just since you mentioned it.

How about you?

What's your habit?

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At the other extreme, I compare everything to other sites routinely.

Nytimes to foxnews,
The Guardian to The Independent
Washington Post to Washington Times (when the issue seems important)

Etc.

Just since you mentioned it.

How about you?

What's your habit?
That’s why I brought it up. I watch/listen to/read them all. Anyone who doesn’t is woefully under informed.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But before, with JPII, or Benedict, or Pope Francis last month, you could always say “oh well this is being mishandled but the Pope did not know what was really going on”
This claim is especially tragically true of Pope JPII who lived under communism and was used to false propaganda against the Church, so for a long time he naively thought reports of abuse were ginned up by anti-Christian forces

This claim is that the Pope knew and ignored it
Meh, you're a bit more generous with your point of view than I am.

I'm nearly 50 years old, and heck, I remember hearing Priest/Altar boy jokes in school. Heck, I even remember some of my catholic friends who would talk about the "happy hands" priest at their school. Times were different then though - lol - and if you got stuck in a bad position with happy hands - "you should've known better". At least that's the way all the guys talked about it with each other. "Just don't go near that guy."

So we're talking the late 70's and early 80's when I became aware of that reputation of priests. Most of these investigations where they're uncovering nonsense goes back way further...with a history of the Church moving people around all throughout the century based upon allegations/suspicions. Not just here in the US, but around the world.

I just have a hard time, therefore, buying into the idea that anyone was really ignorant about this problem. It just strains credibility. You have a church that throughout the world engages in the same behaviors of moving around problematic priests to places where either they cannot do any more harm (best case scenario) or (regrettably) moving them to places simply because their reputation doesn't precede them there.

The scope of the problem and the length of time that it has been going on really makes it hard for me to swallow the idea that "Someone just chalked it up to haters lying about the Church". Maybe if these allegations were isolated to more secular countries and/or had just started - I could buy into that. But, once again, the scope of the problem and length of time it's been going on makes that proposition a difficult one to accept.

Maybe among the faithful/the parishioners that might make sense. They just didn't want to believe that was the case. But the church leadership - meh - I'm inclined to think they all knew.

Heck - look at pope Benedict. His BROTHER was the leader of a choir that apparently had hundreds upon hundreds of kids deemed credible over a span of nearly 60 years either violently or sexually abused. And they weren't aware of it?

Meh, my original take on this discussion stands. If I had to lay dollars to donuts - I'd venture to guess that you'd be hard pressed to find someone that supports the "progressive" nature of the current pope but is also calling for his resignation. And the converse is true as well about people who don't support his political leanings.

Unfortunately we seem to be in a place where everyone defines EVERYTHING based upon their party allegiance nowadays - and everything is filtered through that lens. Conservatives are willing to overlook virtue issues when convenient for supporting their guy - but latch on to other virtue issues when it's convenient to attack what they perceive to be the opposition. Liberals are the same way.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs, IMHO.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I tend to agree.

Like I think Trump is a trash president, but a lot of the stuff I see on CNN makes me wince. Like I remember one story they ran about how Trump mis-spelled Melania's name in a tweet. C'mon now...lol There's a million legit things you can go after Trump on, and you're going to focus on an auto-correct twitter error?

I stopped listening to CNN because of stuff like that. I was tired of the non-stop focus on Trump and taking every opportunity to go after him. Once again, I think he's a trash president, but I don't need to listen to THAT type of coverage.

That all being said - I still do find it funny when people who opt for Fox News get all bent about "Media Bias". I'm never quite sure what their position is. Are they unaware of how biased their news source is? Is it that they know how biased theirs is, but somehow "expected more" of CNN/the NYT/etc because they have historically portrayed themselves as being better than Fox news? I mean, it's clearly not "bias" they care about. They revel in bias...lol Is it the seeming hypocrisy then of claiming to be unbiased and then showing you aren't?

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here is something to keep in mind if you are tempted to just see this as political opportunism

Most of the Traditionalist sources I can think of did not like that Pope Benedict stepped down from the Papacy not only because they approved of him, some of them had serious issues with Pope Benedict, but because that was simply not a very traditional thing to do.

Even the harshest critics of the Holy Father did not call for him to step down before this bombshell

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You could be right. It's not how I interpret the situation, and in today's world I *do* think that people are hyperpartisan to the point that it also trumps and/or guides their faiths instead of the other way around.

But - that's the great thing about discussion. People have different perspectives to convey :)

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't take them seriously because they don't even start in the same place as us with our understanding of what the papacy is. To them he's just a political figurehead representing a point on their spectrum, they don't see him as the Successor of St. Peter and the Vicar of Christ.

• Winner
Upvote 0