Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Gospel of Jesus' WHO? :doh:Just like the guy who just called sayen someone has my IP address and therefore is abusing my puter. Call my server dude. A scam and so is this wifey thingy. If Jesus had a wife we would certainly had know about it looooong ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Counterfeit money is printed on real paper . . . maybe not the paper used for real money, but still some kind of real paper. There are real liars.

In the time of Jesus there were ones claiming to be real Jews. But Jesus said they were not exactly. So, just because early history people claimed to be Christians, this does not mean they were. Certainly, they are not necessarily authoritative about what they say.

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

So, do I understand that Jesus had a wife? It could be scriptural, if our Father had so chosen >

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15) So, if our Groom Jesus has been through things of this life "in all points" "as we are", this could be used to support that He has been through things of marriage "as we are", and also through time of celibacy.

But my opinion is that Jesus did relate closely with a number of ladies who are honoring Him. For example, we see how He was ok with the woman washing His feet with her tears and kissing His feet. Luke 7:36-50. To me, that was pretty intimate and physical. So, He was in love intimate, if not totally intimate physically, with a variety of ladies, I would say. I would say His way of being sharing and personal and affectionate with certain women was more real and intimate than many physically intimate married couples have been. So, yes Jesus has handled the temptations of being in very close relationships, so He can help any of us in any relationships, though He was not physically married.

Mary was right at His feet . . . listening . . . having chosen "that good part". She knew how to relate intimately with Jesus. There were women who knew how to share very closely with Him, in better relationships than many of us have had, so far, in our marriages. Luke 10:38-42. So, as marriages go for some number of us, no way was Jesus "married"; but He enjoyed more and better and deeper with some number of ladies who honored Him and were there for Him.

Upvote 0

Eretria90

Yes I am One Awesome Eagle
Dec 5, 2006
✟16,966.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm more confused by the responses of the atheists, non-religious, and anti-Catholics who have posted wacky and sometimes hateful comments with regards to this "scrap of paper."

Most of them don't believe in God, don't believe in the existence of Jesus, do not believe anything with regards to Jesus' divinity in the Gospels, and do not believe in anything that is written in the NT. But when a potentially controversial Apocryphal writing is discovered, they believe in every word written on that page because it apparently disregards all the orthodox things we know about Jesus. Disregard everything in the Bible but believe the words written on a scrap of paper? How does that work?

Not to mention if Jesus was married...Jesus being married and having children (flesh on flesh) with the human beings he created? Sounds like a theological issue.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Root of Jesse said:
It's funny. They say that the papyrus is not fake, but make no mention of the authenticity of what's written on the papyrus...
Why is that funny? They are two entirely different questions.

Upvote 0

Chi Rho

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi.
Sep 17, 2008
✟7,792.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm more confused by the responses of the atheists, non-religious, and anti-Catholics who have posted wacky and sometimes hateful comments with regards to this "scrap of paper."

Most of them don't believe in God, don't believe in the existence of Jesus, do not believe anything with regards to Jesus' divinity in the Gospels, and do not believe in anything that is written in the NT. But when a potentially controversial Apocryphal writing is discovered, they believe in every word written on that page because it apparently disregards all the orthodox things we know about Jesus. Disregard everything in the Bible but believe the words written on a scrap of paper? How does that work?

Not to mention if Jesus was married...Jesus being married and having children (flesh on flesh) with the human beings he created? Sounds like a theological issue.

I guess for them it is a case of self-affirmation. They get excited because it reinforces their belief that Christianity is a load of rubbish.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I guess for them it is a case of self-affirmation. They get excited because it reinforces their belief that Christianity is a load of rubbish.

It's probably a reaction to the original assertion that it had to be a forgery and not from antiquity. That has been proven incorrect. That doesn't make the words true anymore than any words from antiquity being true. It's probably why people shouldn't jump on the forgery cart without testing it first. It gives others ammunition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm just waiting for someone to quote a Pope or something discussing the "Bride of Christ" as proof that the Church new all along that Jesus was married to a human women during His Earthly lifetime. You know it's inevitable.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Most of them don't believe in God, don't believe in the existence of Jesus, do not believe anything with regards to Jesus' divinity in the Gospels, and do not believe in anything that is written in the NT. But when a potentially controversial Apocryphal writing is discovered, they believe in every word written on that page because it apparently disregards all the orthodox things we know about Jesus. Disregard everything in the Bible but believe the words written on a scrap of paper? How does that work? .

Building and tearing down strawmen is fun!

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Building and tearing down strawmen is fun!

you are an educated atheist

but we have seen bad examples among both Christians and Atheists

I am sure you have seen people who totally disregard the historic information presented by the Bible but when one little scrap of paper is found they go "oh oh oh look and see how it REALLY was" simply because the scrap goes against the Christian mainstream

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't believe the hype. The “Jesus’s Wife” fragment is still fake...
More than 18 months after the mainstream media splashed front pages with credulous headlines about a “new” “gospel” “proving” “Jesus” had a “wife” (and I’ve used up my allotment of scare quotes just writing that much), we finally have the results of testing on the age of the papyrus, and the results are … meaningless, just like this entire story.
Don't believe the hype. The “Jesus’s Wife” fragment is still fake...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When I first heard about this story I just shrugged it off assuming that it was another false gospel, which are a dime a dozen, and that it was only getting pushed because the media always does this around Easter and Christmas.

But now I have looked into this a bit further and it seems that this "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" is only extant in this one fragment? This phrasing is going above and beyond the usual misdirection.

It's a bit like if someone had found a parchment fragment that said "...and then Jesus spoke..............killing is something that...........and there is good...." and called it "The Gospel of Murderous Jesus."

Good grief. There are enough intact Gnostic gospels that there's no reason to pull at straws like this fragment if you want to argue that certain early Christians held heretical beliefs.

Upvote 0

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
When I first heard about this story I just shrugged it off assuming that it was another false gospel, which are a dime a dozen, and that it was only getting pushed because the media always does this around Easter and Christmas.

But now I have looked into this a bit further and it seems that this "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" is only extant in this one fragment? This phrasing is going above and beyond the usual misdirection.

It's a bit like if someone had found a parchment fragment that said "...and then Jesus spoke..............killing is something that...........and there is good...." and called it "The Gospel of Murderous Jesus."

Good grief. There are enough intact Gnostic gospels that there's no reason to pull at straws like this fragment if you want to argue that certain early Christians held heretical beliefs.

the gospels of eve, judas, and thomas.

Upvote 0