Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I came to Christian Forums with the hope of fellowshipping with new friends but then immediately got caught in the quicksand of all the political and current affairs controversies. My problem is that I'm too interested in that stuff and enjoy debating but I think the Lord is starting to call me away from that. I was considering leaving CF but felt called to come up here. I feel bad being in the Christians Only area especially since we are to follow the lead of Jesus and seek out the sick who need it the most but I was getting emotionally fatigued debating folks. I am so surprised how many atheist, agnostics, pagans, witches etc there are here. I don't want them to leave though because they need good Christian examples around them. I realize some are here to stir up trouble and nothing more, but God could still use one of us to make a point or two that may turn them around. This seems like a pretty nice place and I need folks like you so your love can rub off on me. Sometimes I get too harsh in debates and that does not express the love Christians should. For now I'm getting a breath of fresh air. I don't know if I should go back down there but I'll listen to what God tells me. In the meantime I'm in this neck of the woods because I could use some encouragement and I want to give some too.

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I came to Christian Forums with the hope of fellowshipping with new friends but then immediately got caught in the quicksand of all the political and current affairs controversies. My problem is that I'm too interested in that stuff and enjoy debating but I think the Lord is starting to call me away from that. I was considering leaving CF but felt called to come up here. I feel bad being in the Christians Only area especially since we are to follow the lead of Jesus and seek out the sick who need it the most but I was getting emotionally fatigued debating folks. I am so surprised how many atheist, agnostics, pagans, witches etc there are here. I don't want them to leave though because they need good Christian examples around them. I realize some are here to stir up trouble and nothing more, but God could still use one of us to make a point or two that may turn them around. This seems like a pretty nice place and I need folks like you so your love can rub off on me. Sometimes I get too harsh in debates and that does not express the love Christians should. For now I'm getting a breath of fresh air. I don't know if I should go back down there but I'll listen to what God tells me. In the meantime I'm in this neck of the woods because I could use some encouragement and I want to give some too.

I agree with you , I have no idea why people care so much about politics since it's God's choice anyways who he put in charge over nations so it's literally pointless to worry about that .

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing you learn quick here is where your strengths and weaknesses are. Been here for almost two decades (had another name back then). I've learned to stay away from political sections and any posts that bring up politics. I've also learned to set certain members to "ignore" so I don't see their controversial topics or responses. I also learned to stay away from sections that allow non-christians as often its just atheists/agnostics posting things to start an argument.

I've though about leaving in the past but realized being here is sort of like my ministry. I enjoy helping people, especially those who are going through what I did in my past. And of course there are times when I am having trials and use the prayer section and other places to get help too. There are a few other christian type forums around the web but many are VERY tiny and tend to have VERY specific rules and may heavily lean towards certain denominations.

This forum actually use to be massive until a few years ago when they made some changes to how everything looked (literal appearance) and many didn't like it and found it confusing so they left. But there have been more members joining. Its still not as big as it used to be though. Half the time new members post a few things they need help with then don't seem to post anymore sadly.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OP is surely valid, and we all need to turn any political or religious challenge into the real message of God by His holy Word. I am firmly a Bible-only child of God, and look to His Word to guide me, but sometimes get caught up in argumentation. I mean to only defend the Scripture, but find myself sometimes too annoyed by unbiblical ideas.

Each one should be left to hold whatever they want to believe, but I think they should also be counseled to God's expectation of obedience and honor to Him; and to obey the Bible rather than religious ideas. Thanks for bringing this matter up!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
One thing you learn quick here is where your strengths and weaknesses are. Been here for almost two decades (had another name back then). I've learned to stay away from political sections and any posts that bring up politics. I've also learned to set certain members to "ignore" so I don't see their controversial topics or responses. I also learned to stay away from sections that allow non-christians as often its just atheists/agnostics posting things to start an argument.

I've though about leaving in the past but realized being here is sort of like my ministry. I enjoy helping people, especially those who are going through what I did in my past. And of course there are times when I am having trials and use the prayer section and other places to get help too. There are a few other christian type forums around the web but many are VERY tiny and tend to have VERY specific rules and may heavily lean towards certain denominations.

This forum actually use to be massive until a few years ago when they made some changes to how everything looked (literal appearance) and many didn't like it and found it confusing so they left. But there have been more members joining. Its still not as big as it used to be though. Half the time new members post a few things they need help with then don't seem to post anymore sadly.
Been here for almost two decades (had another name back then).

What was your user name, if you don't mind me asking?

Upvote 0

Frank Jennings

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains, Arkansas
✟27,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your post title is true. It's true that so many try and bring war, strife and contention into Christian discussions. They are bomb throwers that often toss their negative, demoralizing statements, with walls of scriptures of course, then either flee or continue their haranguing until they've silenced everyone else.

In the past I've let the warring posters drive me away from taking a positive, encouraging part in discussions of the Bible and Jesus the savior. This was a weakness on my part. Those that never have anything good to say about anything at all are to be prayed for.

Peace be to each and everyone of you who are my brothers and sisters in Christ. Let us build each other up as we have opportunity. God will correct us if we have a willing heart. I've never been corrected by another using scriptures as a whip. Such fleshly things only wound.

1 John 2:27 KJVS
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Jesus radiates love and if we can do the same, people will be attracted. If He is lifted up men will be drawn.

I Pray for discernment so that I am never drawn into strife and agitation.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Howdy Buddy. I hear ya and that is what we are here for, to build each other up in the name of unity. I don't care what anyone's denomination is on the name tag, because we are all seeking the same thing. I like to put it this way. We have all been invited to the Lords supper, You order a steak, I will order fish, Someone may order a cheese burger, But let's look to the Host at the head of the table. He is the reason for the celebration. :] Bless you for showing these lost people the light. :]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Howdy Buddy. I hear ya and that is what we are here for, to build each other up in the name of unity. I don't care what anyone's denomination is on the name tag, because we are all seeking the same thing. I like to put it this way. We have all been invited to the Lords supper, You order a steak, I will order fish, Someone may order a cheese burger, But let's look to the Host at the head of the table. He is the reason for the celebration. :] Bless you for showing these lost people the light. :]
Bless you for showing these lost people the light.

Amen!!!

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I go to the political section just for entertainment. Getting deep into that stuff you can lose sight of your walk.

Among members from various sections here, if we can agree on this much: you must be born again and believe on the power the blood and name of Jesus Christ, leave your trash at the foot of the cross as it is written in scripture, and then we have a chance for a civil conversation. The differences matter less if we agree on that much. Or at least that's how it works for me.

I suppose the day will come when I get banned because I have over spoken my boundaries. But so be it since I only speak what I know as truth and what I perceive as the Holy Spirit wanting spoken. Half of my problem though is I respond to find out it was a place I shouldn't have been in in the first place, or was it ? LOL ! Maybe there is a purpose for each of us to have come here, in fact count on it. Someone needs to hear just what you said or someone needs an answer that only you have. So with that thought in mind I decided to not leave on my own some time back, not to say I might not get the boot one day. I'll consider my purpose here done then in that case, for it is God who is in charge of it all in the end.

Upvote 0

Iarrthoir

Jan 8, 2018
California
✟19,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks everyone. I'm a bit new here and currently don't have a denomination. So I'm unsure where to post for the most part. Mainly lurk in the chatbox/shoutbox. Also how do you post YouTube videos? Have a favorite hymn I wouldn't mind sharing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone. I'm a bit new here and currently don't have a denomination. So I'm unsure where to post for the most part. Mainly lurk in the chatbox/shoutbox. Also how do you post YouTube videos? Have a favorite hymn I wouldn't mind sharing.
You can put 'undenominational'. :)

Upvote 0

havevisions

Dec 24, 2010
Southwest Virginia
✟47,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel the same way as those who replied. I'm glad you brought this up.

I am sort of shy and don’t reply very often to threads because many times I am met with answers that seem to be written by “spiritually superior” persons whose answers reflect a spirit that is combative.

That is, they are more interested in wielding a “biblical club” in the sense that when one reads their replies, even if their references are correct and applicable to the topic at hand, one is left with a feeling of being “trampled upon”.

Don’t get me wrong. I love scriptural references and I love to see scripture bear upon a topic and give it contextual clarification, because all wisdom and knowledge are contained within God’s Word.

But we should always keep in mind that God values integrity. Biblical knowledge is one thing and love of the brethren is another. Both are very good and please God, and should be engaged in unison. Can we remember the admonition in 1 Cor 13: “If I … can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,…., but do not have love, I am nothing. “ ?

It would be a large benefit to me if a person who is sure of their point of view would sometimes say phrases like: “I believe the correct interpretation is…..” or “If we compare this passage with….” Or even “I can’t say for sure, but this verse probably means…..”.

But many times, what I see in responses is “…you are wrong and have blinders on.” How is that a Christian response? I am hoping that all of us can keep this in mind when replying to a person’s viewpoint. In other words, even if you know a person is “out in left field” (which I know I am sometimes), try to tread lightly and not embarrass the person.

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I go to the political section just for entertainment. Getting deep into that stuff you can lose sight of your walk.

Among members from various sections here, if we can agree on this much: you must be born again and believe on the power the blood and name of Jesus Christ, leave your trash at the foot of the cross as it is written in scripture, and then we have a chance for a civil conversation. The differences matter less if we agree on that much. Or at least that's how it works for me.

I suppose the day will come when I get banned because I have over spoken my boundaries. But so be it since I only speak what I know as truth and what I perceive as the Holy Spirit wanting spoken. Half of my problem though is I respond to find out it was a place I shouldn't have been in in the first place, or was it ? LOL ! Maybe there is a purpose for each of us to have come here, in fact count on it. Someone needs to hear just what you said or someone needs an answer that only you have. So with that thought in mind I decided to not leave on my own some time back, not to say I might not get the boot one day. I'll consider my purpose here done then in that case, for it is God who is in charge of it all in the end.
People are dishonoring God with their political arguments. He teaches us to be humble, and to seek the kingdom, not be contentious and seek America. It shouldn't be entertaining but alarming. I would suggest arming yourself with that mind.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0